K,L,N FRAME OFREVOLVER

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

K,L,N FRAME OFREVOLVER

Post by cherian.k.k » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:19 pm

HELLO all
does any one know what is ment as k-frame, n-frame and all. and which frame is .22 iof revolver
cherian.k.k

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:54 pm

These frames are that of Smith& Wesson revolvers. I am sorry that I don't know more, maybe reading up on their web page might help.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: K,L,N FRAME OFREVOLVER

Post by Grumpy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:55 am

The lettering refers to Smith & Wessons classification of their own revolvers and is not relevent to any other manufacturer. Of those three, the `K` frame is the smallest and the `N`` frame the largest.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:38 am

The Model 586 uses S & W's L (medium) revolver frame, with a K-Frame sized grip mated to a larger diameter cylinder. During the 1980s, Smith & Wesson developed its L-Frame line of .357 Magnums®: the Model 581, Model 586, Model 681 and Model 686. These Magnums® had a major effect on both law enforcement and sporting markets. In addition, these revolvers became the most popular revolvers ever made.

The K-frame .357 magnum revolvers became immensely popular as police revolvers. However some felt that extensive firing of full power .357 ammunition in the relatively light framed guns was wearing on both gun and shooter.There appeared to be a demand for a .357 that handled like a K frame but offered the heft and durability of an N frame. The L frame was introduced as this compromise size, with design input from Roy Jinks (official S&W company historian), and quickly established itself in the law enforcement and hunting markets. L frames also generally feature a full-length under-barrel lug, which adds recoil absorbing weight to the gun.

From Wikipedia
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Grumpy,
As far as I know ,the smallest is "J" frame followed by "K" "L" and "N" frame in S&W revolvers.
For example Model 651 and 31 in 22 lr and 32 long are "J" frames where as Model 17,18 is "K" frame. Model 66 and others art "L" frame and generally 41 and 44 Magnums are based on "N" frame.
Marksman

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:22 am

Colt uses different designations for their revolver frames. Rather than making a list, let me provide this link for your review -- it is more complete than what I could provide myself with regard to the newer Colt revolvers:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/arc ... 37598.html

For my own comments, may I say that the old Colt frames, the D, E/I, and New Service, tended to be a bit larger than the S&W counterparts.

For instance, the D frame Colt in .38 Spl holds 6 rounds, while the J frame S&W holds 5. The Detective Special is a somewhat larger weapon than a Chief's Special, for instance. As you may note from the linked list, these were originally intended to be .32 caliber revolvers. When they were adapted to use .38 cartridges, the S&W J frame could only hold 5 cartridges, but the D frame Colt could manage 6. However, Colt had to lengthen the cylinders when the longer .38 Special round was introduced, reflected by changing the name of the weapon from "Police Positive" to "Police Positive Special".

Regarding the S&W K and L frame compared to the E/I Colt frame, the .41 designation should tell you something. Colt chambered their "Army Special" (first of this frame family) for .41 Colt, besides .38. Years back, most revolver bullets were "heeled" bullets that were outside lubricated. The various .22 RF are about the only common modern ammunition that uses this style today. The upshot to this is that the bullet is the same diameter as the outside of the case.

Outside lubricated bullets in the old days were messy, as the lubricant collected dirt and deteriorated. The use of inside lubricated bullets ended that problem, but the bullet diameter is reduced from being the same diameter as the outside of the cartridge case to being the same diameter as the inside of the case.

So, .38 caliber rounds began using .354-.357 sized bullets of the inside lubricated design and .44 caliber rounds began using .429 sized bullets.

For Colt, this meant that the .41 Colt began using .387 sized bullets, reduced from .401. But Colt did not reduce the bore size of the gun. Instead, they used hollow based bullets that upset on firing to fill the bore, like the old musket Minie Ball.

This meant that Colt revolvers in the medium frame size were actually made for .41 caliber ammo, where the S&W K frame was intended for .38. After .357 Magnum was introduced, the larger Colt I frame Python was able to handle the new round without a change in size, but the Model 19 K frame S&W was somewhat more stressed by the more powerful round. S&W's answer was to increase the K frame slightly, which they then called the L frame.

The Colt New Service was more nearly the same size as the S&W N frame (used for the .44 Magnum), however you will note that the grip of the Colt New Service is further behind the trigger guard than it is in the S&W N frame. This makes the New Service frame revolvers somewhat more manageable for those of us with large hands.