Pistol cock and carry/safety..

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Pistol cock and carry/safety..

Post by james » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:24 am

Really zapped ,thanks for such deep information,under current scenerio is there any modifications expected from IOF,is D/A action pistol expected,can modified slide which can expose hammer can be fitted on current IOF pistol legally,kindly advice,Regards,James..

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:34 pm

The IOF .32 pistol has the frame of the Colt 1903 and the slide of the Browning Model 1910.The frame and its internal parts are an exact copy of the Colt to the extent that the parts are interchangeable.

The build quality is another thing altogether.Have seen an IOF .32 pistol go full auto on the trigger being pulled.Very high rate of fire :lol: Have not come across any instance of a slam fire though.The magazines are crappy and the slide is poorly fitted to the frame.The sights are non existent.Have seen one in which I could not rack the slide and the safety would not engage.The pistol had never been fired and was still jammed solid.Also have heard of one which on being fired,the barrel lock would fly forward with the spring and barrel and the slide would fly off the frame in the direction of the shooter.

In case there is something wrong with the pistol you have to take it back to the factory to get it repaired.They have opened some centers where you get it repaired,for people living in other areas,it just means another expensive trip to Kolkatta.The IOF does not come under the MRTP Act also any dispute is subject to the jurisdiction of the Kolkatta courts.

A very expensive 'Saturday Night' special type of firearm.The quality varies however and so just might get a very good pistol if you are very very lucky.

I WOULD not recommend that anybody carry the IOF .32 pistol cocked and locked.

penpusher

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:59 pm

hi
abhijeet i think u need to replace the thumb safety or if not available have to reweld and cut new seat out of it (Gunsmith job). my ithaca starts to enagage its thumb safety while hammer was at rest, full forward. my armour repaired the safety and then i get one and replace it.
i think locked and cocked carry is the quickest way to brought the gun in action if ur gun is mechinically sound and user have pratice enough to acquire the skill. personally i dont like the SA/ DA triger of newer firearms( in contrast to 1911a1) while safe actions read Glock and DAO are more newer.). it is safe to carry a round in chamber with hammer decocked but switch of triger pull is very annoying at least for me. with first shot from a long pull and then short pull i never get consistent groups as my mind is always is in the perception of pull change unintentionally. so in a situation u need to use a handgun i think ur muscle memery should handle triger pull and brain should be doing other cores. i have seen many people who perform better with revolvers using DA option and tt33 type guns (classic single action) than berreta 92. i can even hit batter with cz52 as compared to berreta although cz52 has a very gritty trigger but atleast it is same for all hits. so if mechnically sound carrying cocked and locked is a better option in my view
well thats what i think

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:45 am

Mashh,

In fact I have ordered a new thumb safety to replace the existing one :) I had initially tried to get a gunsmith to rectify the problem locally, BUT I am afraid these days good gunsmiths are almost impossible to find in India, and he could not correct the problem! :(

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:58 pm

if all are coming accross so much of problems with the .32 pistol IOF, why dont u all come to Munger (Bihar) and get your guns repaired at the Munger Gun Factory because you can find a lot of skilled gunsmiths here.
And i have seen IOF pistols with great modifications in Munger and that toooo at much cheeper rates :)

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:37 pm

`Cheepers` are little birds...................................

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:39 am

:o Before commenting on anything sirje why dont u ask someone to come and enquire the matter personally.
charges are low because of low labour cost.
and the place is only famous for its highly skilled gunsmiths

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:10 am

Rudra

Take it easy Grumpy's remark was in jest there is no way he can agree or disagree with your info since he resides in UK. On the other hand we all learned a trivia.
8. Which is not the correct name of a baby bird?
A. A duckling
B. A cheeper
C. A fledgling
D. A chicken

D. A chicken
TOPICS: For some strange reason, baby turtles are called chickens, while baby chickens are called chicks! The other baby names are for the duck, the partridge, and the penguin.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:20 am

I assumed that Rudra was replying to Abhijeet but if he was responding to me then I`d like to point out that he ought to be less sensitive and read more carefully as my feeble joke regarding `cheeper` concerns the fact that something that is less expensive is `cheaper` - not `cheeper`. `Cheeping` - as in to cheep - is the sound that some birds - especially baby birds - make.
As far as I know no baby bird is actually known as a `cheeper`......... But a chicken is - technically - a baby fowl. What we call a Chicken is really a hen or a fowl.
Complicated isn`t it ?

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:32 pm

Are bhai i just wanted to say that if u have any confusion about the quality of the gunsmiths u may come and check .
as for as grumpy is concerned i respect him for his knowlede of weapons.
and pls dont take all that seriously because we all belong to IFG and so we all are a part of this family :) And one more thing whoever wants to get a weapon repaired (any weapon, only it should be legal) may come to Munger and before coming, may contact me by a PM so that we could manage things properly.
By the way thanks for showing so much of care
regards
Rudra

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:03 pm

mundaire";p="24358 wrote:
Grumpy";p="24346 wrote: Abhijeet, I`ve only known the thumb safety to fail on a 1911A1 once - and that was on a well-used GI pistol that had been subjected to a home polishing job. It also discharged in full-auto mode most of the time - a pistol that I mentioned on another thread a couple of days ago.
Maintenance is just another aspect of safety - if a pistol isn`t properly maintained it isn`t safe and shouldn`t be used.
Grumps, this happened a few times while trying to use the thumb safety to "decock" the hammer to the half-cock position. It mostly works, but ever so often it allows it (the hammer) to fall all the way... a very disturbing phenomena if you happen to have a live round in the chamber!
Mundaire,

Can you please clarify what you mean by using the thumb safety to decock to half cock? How can you pull the trigger with the safety on? And without pulling the trigger how can you decock?

BTW, half cocking or completely decocking is really dangerous. Besides firing accidently, the recoil action of the slide can do serious damage to your thumb.

AMK

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:00 pm

AMK, not sure about current models - but all GI issue 1911A1'a (which is what I have), sport this feature. The method to get the hammer to 'half-cock' is quite simple really... cock the hammer > engage the thumb safety > pull the trigger > drop the thumb safety > now the hammer should automatically fall to the 'half-cock' position.

BTW - the problem I was facing has now been corrected by replacing all springs with new Wolf springs and the thumb safety lever has been replaced by a new one from brownells...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:11 pm

Mundaire, my GI 1911 and the 2 others I have access to do not exhibit this behaviour; and frankly, I've never heard of this feature in any GI 1911 before.

Sorry, I'm not trying to question your knowledge but do you have any links or other material where I can read more about this feature?

AMK
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:56 pm

AMK,

If you don't question things, you'll never learn... ;) The half-cock feature is actually a result of a safety design on the 1911A1 hammer. A very good illustrated explanation of this is given at "The Sight" (an excellent site for info on 1911 pistols).

It is sometime (erroneously) opined that carrying a 1911A1 half-cocked was safer than carrying it in a proper cocked & locked position... you can see why (cocked & locked is safer than half-cock on a loaded chamber) by visiting the link provided above.

AFAIK many of the newer Colt 1911s DO NOT have this half-cock feature... IIRC they have a pin block in stead...

Also, as I figured out for myself... if you have worn out springs/ thumb safety lever/ thumb safety plunger... then this method of bringing the gun to half-cock would NOT work. Anyhow, this is NOT a SAFE way to decock the gun and as mentioned before is a by-product of the half-cock safety feature that was built into the pistol.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:53 pm

`The Sight` is the dogs doodahs of 1911 websites - really excellent.