Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
User avatar
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 3484
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 am
Location: USA

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by xl_target » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:12 am

dr.jayakumar wrote:Congratulation XL.i never knew it was a black powder and a muzzle loader.and i am a fan of clint eastwood.
nice aquisition.
regards
dr.jk
Thanks Dr. JK

There were a lot of continuity errors in those Spaghetti Westerns. Sometimes Josey Wales is shown with a Black Powder revolver and sometimes he is shown with a cartridge conversion revolver. This was quite common and no one really paid much attention, except for the gun nuts. The guns seemed to change from scene to scene. It was a lot better once Clint Eastwood started directing his own movies.
This happens quite a bit in modern movies too. You can see the hero with one handgun and a split second later, he has a different one.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
User avatar
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 3484
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 am
Location: USA

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by xl_target » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:54 am

Loading and shooting a modern black powder revolver.

After reading Dr JK's commnet, I realized that I might not have made myself clear.
The handgun in question is a replica of Colt's Army Model 1860 black powder revolver. It is generally classified as a muzzle loader even though you don't load the muzzle.
The powder charge is ignited using a percussion cap.

Here is the procedure to load and fire the chambers:


As you can see, it is a cumbersome and takes a while to load a whole cylinder.\

I think Tirpassion posted something similar at one time.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

User avatar
timmy
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1989
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:03 am
Location: home on the range

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by timmy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:08 am

I remember Eastwood using a Walker. This seems to have been one of his "things," since he used the Model 29 44 Magnum in the Dirty Harry series, and in another (the one with Sondra Locke when he was at the cRnival) he had an Automag. He seems to have liked to use a flashy, powerful handgun in all of his movies.

But I'm also recalling one where he used Remington revolvers. He had charged cylinders in belt loops and would change them for ones he'd emptied. I don't recall which movie that was.
“The principle of self defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

User avatar
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 3484
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 am
Location: USA

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by xl_target » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:57 am

timmy wrote:I remember Eastwood using a Walker. This seems to have been one of his "things," since he used the Model 29 44 Magnum in the Dirty Harry series, and in another (the one with Sondra Locke when he was at the cRnival) he had an Automag. He seems to have liked to use a flashy, powerful handgun in all of his movies.

But I'm also recalling one where he used Remington revolvers. He had charged cylinders in belt loops and would change them for ones he'd emptied. I don't recall which movie that was.
Tim,

Watch the video clip I posted in the original post of this thread. It is a short clip from Pale Rider that shows what you describe.
He is using a Remington 1858 revolver and he has a belt full of cylinders. He changes cylinders as he walks towards the bad guy.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

User avatar
TC
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1805
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Kolkata

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by TC » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:57 pm

XL.... How could you guys forget your hats ? !

Image

We have already discussed the revolver elsewhere. Now I am enjoying the discussion on the Mayor of Carmel :D Have always been a BIG fan.

TC

User avatar
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 3484
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 am
Location: USA

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by xl_target » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:01 am

TC wrote:XL.... How could you guys forget your hats ? !

[ Image ]

We have already discussed the revolver elsewhere. Now I am enjoying the discussion on the Mayor of Carmel :D Have always been a BIG fan.

TC
Etiquette! We are indoors.
You could have them on when shooting.

Hat etiquette
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

User avatar
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:44 am

xl_target wrote: Etiquette! We are indoors. You could have them on when shooting.

Hat etiquette
When you do wear them - bigger the better - more the gallons bigger the bang (BTW 3.8 Liters = 1 US Gal)! ROTFL!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:55 am
Location: tamilnadu,india

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:47 pm

Dear XL thanks for sharing.i have a question.why was a revolver still a muzzle loader when winchesters had catridges,just wondering.
regards
dr.jk

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1526
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:09 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:Dear XL thanks for sharing.i have a question.why was a revolver still a muzzle loader when winchesters had catridges,just wondering.
regards
dr.jk
Smith & Wesson held the patent on a revolver cylinder bored all the way through, i.e. a cylinder to take cartridges instead of being loaded with loose powder and ball. Until that patent expired no one else could produce a cartridge revolver. There were some cumbersome attempts to circumvent the S&W patent, but did not catch on.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:55 am
Location: tamilnadu,india

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:11 pm

TwoRivers wrote:
dr.jayakumar wrote:Dear XL thanks for sharing.i have a question.why was a revolver still a muzzle loader when winchesters had catridges,just wondering.
regards
dr.jk
Smith & Wesson held the patent on a revolver cylinder bored all the way through, i.e. a cylinder to take cartridges instead of being loaded with loose powder and ball. Until that patent expired no one else could produce a cartridge revolver. There were some cumbersome attempts to circumvent the S&W patent, but did not catch on.
Thank you "Two Rivers"
regards
dr.jk

User avatar
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1195
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by essdee1972 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:54 am

XL, re Stetson, I got a nice felt hat from Darjeeling. Of course, not as well made as a honest-to-goodness Stetson, but still....... crushable, washable, retains shape, all this at INR 250!! (bargained down from 400). I changed the plain band with a cut off piece from a braided leather ladies belt (another 100 bucks). My wife being born & brought up in Arunachal Pradesh, has a few of those woven shawls which will do as a poncho.

But sadly, migrating to the US in order to lay my hands on the basic equipment - the gun - is likely to cost be a load of moolah!!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

User avatar
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:44 am

essdee1972 wrote:But sadly, migrating to the US in order to lay my hands on the basic equipment - the gun - is likely to cost be a load of moolah!!!
:lol: good one!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

User avatar
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 3484
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 am
Location: USA

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by xl_target » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:09 am

essdee1972 wrote:XL, re Stetson, I got a nice felt hat from Darjeeling. Of course, not as well made as a honest-to-goodness Stetson, but still....... crushable, washable, retains shape, all this at INR 250!! (bargained down from 400). I changed the plain band with a cut off piece from a braided leather ladies belt (another 100 bucks). My wife being born & brought up in Arunachal Pradesh, has a few of those woven shawls which will do as a poncho.

But sadly, migrating to the US in order to lay my hands on the basic equipment - the gun - is likely to cost be a load of moolah!!!
So where is the photo of this cattleman's topper? I've been waiting for you to post it.

If you want to use the "basic equipment", just stow yourself in TC's suitcase when he isn't looking and come and visit me.
We'll set you up.

Image
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

User avatar
timmy
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1989
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:03 am
Location: home on the range

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:46 am

XL, here is your hat for you:

Image

But when we get together for a shoot someday, I want to be the baddest cowboy of all, even if his hat wasn't of 10 gallon size:

Image

The "10 gallon" hat doesn't mean that it holds 10 gallons. Like so many words that are part of the Spanish/Mexican heritage of the American Cowboy, it comes from "tan galán," or "so dashing" or handsome, more or less.

(and BTW, yes, I do have Thai Meethu Sathyam :-))
“The principle of self defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

User avatar
TC
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1805
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Kolkata

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by TC » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:59 pm

If you want to use the "basic equipment", just stow yourself in TC's suitcase when he isn't looking and come and visit me.
We'll set you up.
Let me calculate the rates for excess luggage ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL



Image

Timmy, this was too good :lol: :lol:

TC

Post Reply