Accidental fire from my iof .32 revolver with safety on.

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
dany
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Accidental fire from my iof .32 revolver with safety on.

Post by dany » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Dear friends thx for all ur concern nd informativ suggestions. I shared ths experience with u ppl so tht we all can learn a lesson frm it. Today i try a experiment with my revolver..wht I did was I hit the hammer with a pice of wood while revolver is in safe mode. To my surprise every time I hit it wil fire..so th conclusion is...itz alway safe to carry empty chamber under the hammer as accidents might occour. And accidents are accidents. One may abide by all gun rules but still accidents may occour. Im not frenzy in carrying a revolver tucking at my waist band as some one might feel. I always carry it properly.it was an accident. .even with a holster tht can happen. As prevention is better thn cure so empty chamber under hammer is better thn holster.

For Advertising mail webmaster
AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:00 pm

timmy wrote:My Mother always taught me that "a word to the wise is sufficient."

I want to describe some revolver lock mechaisms for you in connection with the issues raised by this thread.......
Timmy, many thanks for this very useful and informative post that I will read many times over.

Cheers,
SS

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:35 pm

I was so engrossed with the Remington and the AR that I missed this thread. Bad of me.

Timmy what a fantastic post. The effort you give in explaining operational details to members (especially those who are new to the subject) is commendable. Your posts stand out whenever we discuss critical issues such as this one.

As you have rightly pointed out, the IOF revolver wouldn't have gone off had it had the proper transfer bar safety patented by Ruger. This is the only safety that actually cuts off the hammer from the firing pin till such time the trigger is pulled and the transfer bar raised to become the physical link between the hammer face and firing pin. The illustrations you have posted (thanks again on behalf of others) explain the lock work.
IMHO every other safety designed for revolvers is otherwise useless when the weapon with a round on the top chamber is dropped on a hard surface.

:cheers:
Merry Christmas
TC

XL, how could you find a post I wrote years ago ? !! Hats off Sir.
You have made a point and anybody who blames a firearm for going wrong should read your post and follow. I will still write a few words to Dany because a member of my family had a similar accident with a .25 Beretta pistol (it was the striker fired Bantam model). The slug could have entered through his throat or chin .... instead it took a part of his right thumb and left. Dany's account brought back a nightmare.
who
Merry Christmas

TC

Dany the frame mounted safety on the IOF revolver is a solid block of steel that, when pushed to the right, snugly gets into a notch cut in the lower part of the hammer (that remains inside the frame and hence we can't see) and blocks it from moving backwards. In short, when the safety is engaged the hammer can't be cocked - neither by pulling by hammer spur nor by squeezing the trigger. Basically this is a safety against intentional firing but not against a unintentional drop.
For, this cross bolt type safety in no way prevents the hammer from moving forward under force and touch the spring loaded firing pin. If the revolver is dropped and the hammer hits the ground first it will directly force the firing pin into the primer of the round in chamber. It will happen each and every time the hammer hits the ground when there is a live round in chamber.

You had a narrow escape and I would accept it as divine intervention. From now on please never rest the hammer on a loaded chamber when you carry.
Best wishes

Merry Christmas
TC
Last edited by TC on Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dany
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dany » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Thx tc da for ur warm advice. Indeed we all r safe due to divine intervention.... Merry Christmas to all my friends. .

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:45 pm

TC wrote:Merry Christmas
TC
Thank you, TC, for your Holiday wishes and compliment!

My present this year was a new Mac. My old one has had problems after seven years, so my Bride permitted me to buy a new one. Working on the old one and getting the new one set up has caused my absence, and this thread broke in the replacement!
TC wrote:Dany the frame mounted safety on the IOF revolver is a solid block of steel that, when pushed to the right, snugly gets into a notch cut in the lower part of the hammer (that remains inside the frame and hence we can't see) and blocks it from moving backwards. In short, when the safety is engaged the hammer can't be cocked - neither by pulling by hammer spur nor by squeezing the trigger. Basically this is a safety against intentional firing but not against a unintentional drop.
For, this cross bolt type safety in no way prevents the hammer from moving forward under force and touch the spring loaded firing pin. If the revolver is dropped and the hammer hits the ground first it will directly force the firing pin into the primer of the round in chamber. It will happen each and every time the hammer hits the ground when there is a live round in chamber.
Wow! I'm aghast at this information! So IOF went to the trouble to include a safety that doesn't make the gun safe? They go to the trouble to protect the gun from the user, but not the user from the gun? IOF wouldn't have the ghost of a chance to import their products in this country -- the lawsuits would bankrupt them in no time!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Timmy wrote
My present this year was a new Mac. My old one has had problems after seven years, so my Bride permitted me to buy a new one. Working on the old one and getting the new one set up has caused my absence, and this thread broke in the replacement!
A MAC! Now that's the best new year gift a man can give to himself. I have tried saving for a McBook Air so many times but always ended up spending on guns, ammo, knives or something for my Bride :lol:
Wow! I'm aghast at this information! So IOF went to the trouble to include a safety that doesn't make the gun safe? They go to the trouble to protect the gun from the user, but not the user from the gun? IOF wouldn't have the ghost of a chance to import their products in this country -- the lawsuits would bankrupt them in no time!
That's how they made the models till Mark 3. Now they say the new Mark 4 and the mysterious titanium body Nirbhik that any of us are yet to see have the transfer bar safety. The safeties on all the models right from Mark 1 are however very tight and lock positively but as Dany's post shows, can't save the user from an accidental drop. I can never imagine the IOF even dreaming of exporting this revolver or anyone in your part of the world buying one. That would open a can or worms.

Well, its almost 11 pm. The paper is ready. Its time to head for home before Christmas is over. Good night and best wishes

TC

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks TC for clarifying. There goes another myth in my mind around the safety of the IOF revolver. I was earlier worried that the supposed transfer bar mechanism doesnt work, now I'm disappointed it doesn't exist! I stand corrected in my first post in this thread.

Ive booked a revolver from SAF and if it miraculously turns out to be a MARK 4 I'll put up some pics and show the revolver to our IFG Delhi experts. Hopefully that should shed some light.

Cheers,
SS

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Not surprising as explained in so much detail by Timmy...

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:03 pm

SS wrote:Thanks TC for clarifying. There goes another myth in my mind around the safety of the IOF revolver. I was earlier worried that the supposed transfer bar mechanism doesnt work, now I'm disappointed it doesn't exist! I stand corrected in my first post in this thread.

Ive booked a revolver from SAF and if it miraculously turns out to be a MARK 4 I'll put up some pics and show the revolver to our IFG Delhi experts. Hopefully that should shed some light.

Cheers,
SS
You are welcome SS. The Mark 4, people say, does have a transfer bar safety or may be the mysterious "titanium" Nirbhik which has a swing out cylinder or probably both. Maybe you will find out once you get your revolver.
Fact is people who actually run the machines at all the IOFs have no clue about the development and designs of firearms across the world. Those who oversee these project have even lesser idea and those who come up with a project idea and send it for approval to the Ministry are the ones who know the least about guns. I can say this with such confidence because I am watching them for 25 years. Since almost all the machines are computer controlled and follow CAD the mantra is : Control A, Control C and Control V :D

Cheers
TC

dany
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dany » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Very well said TC da...

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:41 pm

Fell from your waist? Put it back in the closet and go tomorrow and buy a real holster. Then throw whatever you were using as a holster in the trash.

And you'll still have to carry on an empty chamber if it doesn't have a transfer bar, even with a proper retention holster. Glad everyone is OK! Hope the wife isn't mad. Just keep blaming the gun when at home :)

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:02 am

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:Fell from your waist? Put it back in the closet and go tomorrow and buy a real holster. Then throw whatever you were using as a holster in the trash.
Amen!
And accidents are accidents. One may abide by all gun rules but still accidents may occour. Im not frenzy in carrying a revolver tucking at my waist band as some one might feel. I always carry it properly.it was an accident. .even with a holster tht can happen
What do you mean by "I always carry it properly"? How do you carry it at present?
Obviously you were not carrying it "properly" or this would not have happened.
I've been carrying for years and never had that happen. In fact I could hang upside down and my handgun will not fall out of my holster.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:19 am

All is well that ends well - Phew lucky escape dany I am so glad that no one was hurt!

All the rules of safe carry have already been mentioned on this post, a huge lesson for all - not much more to be said...be super safe dany and enjoy your revolver.

And dany please, please take all the advice and suggestions made by concerned IFG'ians in a positive spirit - you cannot imagine the heart sinking feeling and horror that all of us experienced at this situation.

Finally, it was very courageous of you to have brought up this incident on the forum - I think it will certainly help reduce such 'accidents' in our fraternity in the future.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Firstly Thank God everyone safely escaped what could have been a tragedy. I'm glad XL has said what he has. It reflects my opinion to the core.

dany
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dany » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Friends as I hav already said I hav brought up ths incident so tht like me others can also learn a lesson. This incident took place due to my ignorance of iof mk3 revolver safety mecanism. I thought whn safety is on hammer wil not move backward or forward. So I always carry 6 rounds. Now ths myth is busted so now I carry 5 rounds with a celing attached in my WAISTBAND. Itz difficult for me to carry a revolver conceal in holster