IOF .32 revolver

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF .32 revolver

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:59 pm

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:What types/brands of ammo are available for this revolver, and what is the performance? It seems most people of India are limited in available ammo so I was curious. Thanks.
C of PA,
Please check this site for details of the ammo available, manufactured by the Governments 'Indian Ordinance Factory'.
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/am ... /sc/12.htm
Arms and Ammunition dealers are not allowed to import this ammo officially (I think). Hence, this is all that is available to us for a normal market price of Rs 70 to Rs 100 (aprox. USD 1.00 to 1.25) per round.
It is good ammo, more often than not it goes bang and makes a loud noise. I wonder why it is not used for target practice. :D
The government also allows impost of a very large quantity of ammo only for renowned shooters for practice and that too without paying any import duty.

Atul

For Advertising mail webmaster
Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Interesting, thanks. I wouldn't want to get shot with it ;) But that is, indeed, a limited selection.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:28 pm

You sure need to be very careful when facing the IOF revolver and this ammo, because there is a possibility that it will go bang and hit the target. Besides, if it fails in the first attempt there are 5 more rounds to go.

Atul

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Indeed :)

Sir, I know I am preaching to the choir, but something needs to be done about this. They already limit the number of firearms most people can own, so they should at least allow licensed import of some firearms for use by the Citizens. If you could pack away 1000 guns in your basement for a revolution I would understand (but certainly not agree with) a ban on imports. But you can't, they limit you. Imports would not bring more guns, it would only serve to make people happier. And some better and cheaper ammo. Those prices are ridiculous for America, they are absolutely insane for India.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:50 pm

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:Indeed :)
Sir, I know I am preaching to the choir, but something needs to be done about this. They already limit the number of firearms most people can own, so they should at least allow licensed import of some firearms for use by the Citizens.
This is what NAGRI is all about, a handful of people trying to ease the gun control in India.
Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:Those prices are ridiculous for America, they are absolutely insane for India.
In India we have only about 6 million licensed guns. That is less than 1% of the population has a license to own a firearm. Therefore once someone gets a license he is not bothered about the cost of ammo and in any case we are generally allowed to buy only 50 rounds per weapon in a year.

Atul

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:44 am

50 per year? I go through 50 rounds in about 3 seconds! I bet Indians are very good shots!

I was vaguely aware that people seemed to be limited to 50 rounds but I did not know that was it for the year. What do you do when the ammo runs out? Can you turn in the brass and get more? Or do you reload?

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:23 am

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:50 per year? I go through 50 rounds in about 3 seconds! I bet Indians are very good shots!
I was vaguely aware that people seemed to be limited to 50 rounds but I did not know that was it for the year.
In most of the states one is allowed to posses only 25 rounds, and maximum purchasable 50 rounds per year. But in our state Haryana we are allowed to purchase 25 at one time but can posses up to 50 rounds.
Commonwealth_of_PA wrote: What do you do when the ammo runs out? Can you turn in the brass and get more? Or do you reload?
There is no question of reloading as there are no supplies like equipment, explosive, primer or bullets available for reloading. If you run out of ammo you have to apply for an additional ammo purchase and the process is not simple that you just walk into the authority office and walk out with a permit. Also, after a wait of a week or so you may or may not get permission to buy additional ammo.
But then 50 rounds are good enough or more than enough for most people as there is no place where you can shoot a gun any where in India due to the large density of population and there are very few ranges accessible to a fewer people.
But if one is a member of a rifle association and a range then imported ammo is available for use at the range only at a very reasonable cost. The cost of good imported ammo is about half or less than half the cost of Indian ammo. But memberships are not very easy to get and quite expensive for a casual shooter.

Atul

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:02 am

Mr. Atul,

If you will excuse me for intruding on your matters, I have some input on this subject that I would like to contribute in what I believe is a helpful way.

"Population density" is a spurious and invalid argument of gun control advocates. There is no single place in India that has more people per square feet within handgun range than a thousand places in America where people routinely carry guns and more than 50 rounds on their person. It causes no problems.

On to shooting. Obviously if you have 100 people in front of your house or apartment, on both sides, and behind it, you would require quite a berm because any mistake might hit somebody. But the truth is, bullets should not be leaving your property even if the risk is lower. It does make some sense that home ranges be restricted in the downtown of cities, but you can't paint India with a broad brush. Claims that India has high population density are false. India is essentially empty, despite population much larger than a billion people.

This anti-gun claim bothers me because it is used to deny carry of firearms in my neighboring state or New Jersey. One of 3 states (out of 50) where carry of firearms for defense is almost completely banned. Population density is too high. Certainly higher than in India. Yet 2/3 of New Jersey you could fire your most powerful rifle and have zero chance of hitting anyone, and in the rest of the country there are thousands of places where the population density is 1 per 5 square meters (such as stores) or 2 per one square meter (such as concerts or packed sections of stores) within the entire radius of a reasonably expected handgun maximum range. And people have guns just like everywhere else.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:42 am

Commonwealth_of_PA,

What you say is true we have a large amount of open spaces around where you can shoot a gun with no one in sight. And population density is not a stand taken by the anti gun fellows till now. But the police presence is there even though thoroughly inadequate.
I go to such a spot about 5 kms from my house to shoot my guns. But if a police patrolling party hears me firing and decide to investigate I would get into unnecessary hassles including the possibility of getting my license suspended or cancelled, for reasons like trying to hunt, firing a weapon/ unsafe use of inflammable material, endangering human life in a public place. It is called a public place as it is government land and any individual can go there, even though no one would want to go there.
The purpose of the police is to restrict gun ownership in their area so that gun related crimes are reduced to those being done by illegal weapons (for which they are unable to do any thing about). If a crime takes place with an illegal gun or self protection by a licensed weapon it makes no difference to the police as they count it as one more case and then the bother of preparing a case. Besides their performance is measured by the number of cases reported in their area. Therefore, they would rather have cases which they are unable to prevent (unlicensed weapon involvement) so they are really not worried about the personal safety of a person. They would rather prefer to have a person beaten up rather than that guy retaliating even with a licensed weapon because use of a gun makes it serious and just being beaten up is a minor issue, It is just numbers that they are interested in. Therefore, they issue a license as they have to as per the arms act, but they try to cancel the license at the first opportunity they get.

Atul

advocate Sumit nain
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by advocate Sumit nain » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Sir
Is mk IV .32 revolver iof made available with the dealer for direct sale...

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:10 pm

advocate Sumit nain wrote:Sir
Is mk IV .32 revolver iof made available with the dealer for direct sale...
No Sumit they have not yet started the sale of revolvers through dealers till now. Only pistols are available.

Atul

advocate Sumit nain
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by advocate Sumit nain » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Sir here in abohar punjab the dealer are saying that they have ordered for iof revolver mk III and will be available with them in first week of oct. and priced aplrox 1 lac.. price not final.. i m planing to buy revolver iof made .32 mk IV version

s_sharma
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by s_sharma » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Sale of .32 revolver through dealers has already started since last month in Punjab. I have seen today in person the sale of MK III at Amritsar. price is less than 1Lac.

rohit saxena
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rohit saxena » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:31 pm

Guys my new revolver .32 charter undercover box packed . Lucky to get a good deal for it.

sonuvecv
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sonuvecv » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:05 am

Congratulations please share some pics