Presenting..The Rolls Royce of revolvers and the best revolver in the world

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
rkittine
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Presenting..The Rolls Royce of revolvers and the best revolver in the world

Post by rkittine » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:59 pm

When I am back home I will post some pictures of my Wheel Guns

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:50 pm

SS, I also find that Bullseye meters very smoothly. For many years, I've used the same Uniflow powder measure. Using the pistol drum, it does throw accurate 2.7 gr charges, but setting it up to do so is quite a pain. For pistol, I use an old Ponsness-Warren Metalmatic, which has ten die stations on a turrent. I have 38 Special on one side and 45 Auto on the other, and use a pair of Little Dandy measures, one dedicated to each cartridge. These use fixed rotors for each charge, so there's no fiddling with setting them.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun May 09, 2021 3:04 am

Worth sharing here that a high quality firearm can fail too.

Here’s a trigger return spring that broke on the revolver. Was it just metal fatigue or me stressing it too much while assembly a month ago, I’ll never really know. Went to the range for one final practice before the competition the next day, pulled out the revolver from the holster, squeezed the trigger and it just didn’t reset. The heart sank, but I hoped it was just a disengaged return spring. When I returned home and disassembled the firearm, it was a broken spring. A Rs.250 part that renders the revolver useless and months of practice for the competition goes waste.

It’s one of the few parts that Korth specifically sells on its online shop so I’m guessing I’m not entirely to blame here!

Glocks do jam and the Rolls Royce evidently breaks down too. A few myths busted.
6936C02C-3E90-49B5-96D6-0DAE990CDDCF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun May 09, 2021 3:26 am

SS: Ugh! what an unfortunate thing to happen!

Now, my comments here are in no way intended to argue for what is "best" in revolver design. For myself, I wouldn't mind having a Korth at all! (Right now, however, I'd be interested in a much more plebian Ruger snub nose in 327 Federal Magnum.)

But here, I'd like to note what I believe was a design intent of the Schmidt-Galand system: Springs. Back in the 19th Century, when heat treating was an art, rather than a science, durable springs were a critical component in firearm reliability. If you examine the Schmidt-Galand system as implemented by Colt, you had four little coil springs: One to tension the strut away from the hammer, one to tension the bolt to engage the cylinder, one to keep the cylinder latch engaged in the cylinder, and one to tension the crane lock. Then, there was a larger coil spring to tension the ejector. But, the V-shaped mainspring pretty much ran the mechanism. I think that when it came to the critical nature of heat treating springs, if the main spring was heat treated correctly, 95% of this process was accomplished.

Nowadays, however, heat treatment is much more scientific and modern production of steel and springs is so reliable that it's pretty much taken for granted. I'd see your situation as a fluke, and hardly indicative of a fault.

edited to add: The real point I'd like to express here is that there's every reason to think that modern designs and modern production methods, like Chiappa, Korth, Manhurin, and even Ruger, can improve upon older designs, like the Schmidt-Galand system. Having said this, however, I also feel that there's still a place for the most competent of these older designs in sport shooting and in self defense. I have been rethinking the advantages of the Webley-Fosbery system, where the trigger is relieved from its responsibility to turn front to back motion 90* into rotary motion of the cylinder. Webley-Fosbery, like some semi-automatics, is actually a single action system that avoids the clumsy small "star" on the back of the cylinder and the awkward mechanical operation of rotation, spreading it over the much larger surface of the cylinder in a more mechanically advantageous way.

Harry S. Truman

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon May 10, 2021 12:31 am

Thanks Timmy, I really do hope it was a fluke.

I wonder though if getting rid of the rebound lever and providing for an adjustable trigger return spring has made the design vulnerable. It does provide for some very fine adjustment for competitive shooting but may not match the reliability of the Schmidt Galand action.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon May 10, 2021 2:28 am

Double S:

I suspect that Korth (or any other gun manufacturer, for that matter) buys a roll of spring wire and winds it themselves. This way, springs are made for the purpose, rather than bought as a specific size and then fitted to the gun. I can't say that I know this for sure; I'm only guessing.

I would think that they buy wire of a certain specification and if something or another happens in the wire-making process, it is a fluke -- you got the 0.1% that fell through the cracks. It's not like one hears of reliability issues with these things.

Harry S. Truman