How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Post Reply
stoic_eddie
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 am

How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by stoic_eddie » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:19 am

Hello everyone. This is my first post on IFG even though I have been an intensive lurker. I currently reside in the US but am thinking of moving back to India in the near future. As a massive gun lover, I would like to bring over a pistol on a TR. After reading countless threads about calibre choice, I know that .32 ACP is the most prevalent pistol caliber in India. Personally, I am not a big fan of the .32 ACP round.

I have read on here that .380 ACP and other calibers such as .40 S&W and .357 SIG are exceedingly rare in India, which brings me to my question. Since .380 ACP and other such ammo can't be imported, where do the handful of dealers who stock .380 ACP ammo get it from? Importing the ammo is out and so is getting it from the IOF. Can someone solve this mystery for me please?
Last edited by stoic_eddie on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Pune

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by sourabhsangale » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:56 pm

To get on TR you need to have license in india , TR sounds good but if you don’t have license in india its of no help .
.380 shooters get into india but its expensive so don’t buy .380

Go for .45 ,available easily in india and cheap also , go for H&k or other fancy .45 gun ammo is easily available here .

User avatar
Vineet
Shooting true
Shooting true
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 am
Location: Punjab

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by Vineet » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:27 pm

Don't go for .380 pistol. Go for Beretta cheetah in .32 or a .45 acp pistol.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

User avatar
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:03 am
Location: home on the range

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by timmy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:19 am

If people are acquiring 380 ammunition to sell for very high prices, I could think of a few reasons why the sources for such ammunition would be kept secret.

The bottom line is, you will probably have to find out for yourself how 380 ammunition is obtained, and if you do, it may be that you wished that you hadn't bothered, and that you had, instead, taken Vineet's advice.
“The principle of self defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them.” - Maya Angelou

stoic_eddie
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 am

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by stoic_eddie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:52 am

sourabhsangale wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:56 pm
To get on TR you need to have license in india , TR sounds good but if you don’t have license in india its of no help .
.380 shooters get into india but its expensive so don’t buy .380

Go for .45 ,available easily in india and cheap also , go for H&k or other fancy .45 gun ammo is easily available here .
I forgot about that part! Looks like it may be time to start greasing some palms back home. As far as a .45 ACP pistol is concerned, I have heard good things about the Glock 30. Thanks Sourabh!

stoic_eddie
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 am

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by stoic_eddie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:55 am

Vineet wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:27 pm
Don't go for .380 pistol. Go for Beretta cheetah in .32 or a .45 acp pistol.
A pleasure to hear from you, Vineet. A .32 ACP pistol is out of the question and like I said to Sourabh, I will most likely get a Glock 30 which is chambered in .45 ACP. Thanks for your input.

stoic_eddie
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 am

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by stoic_eddie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 am

timmy wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:19 am
If people are acquiring 380 ammunition to sell for very high prices, I could think of a few reasons why the sources for such ammunition would be kept secret.

The bottom line is, you will probably have to find out for yourself how 380 ammunition is obtained, and if you do, it may be that you wished that you hadn't bothered, and that you had, instead, taken Vineet's advice.
Hello Timmy! I was actually under the impression that dealers were selling .380 ACP ammo legally. But given what you said, I think that might not be the case.

Let me modify my question then. Is there any legal way for a legitimate licensed dealer to acquire .380 ACP ammo for resale?

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:30 am
Location: INDIA

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by james » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:50 am

If you like Revolver, Ruger 327 is versatile caliber.
You can use 327 ,32 H&R magnum, 32 smith & Wesson long , .32 acp and
32 short in this revolver.
It’s more of a personal choice.
James.

User avatar
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:03 am
Location: home on the range

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by timmy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 pm

stoic_eddie wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 am
timmy wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:19 am
If people are acquiring 380 ammunition to sell for very high prices, I could think of a few reasons why the sources for such ammunition would be kept secret.

The bottom line is, you will probably have to find out for yourself how 380 ammunition is obtained, and if you do, it may be that you wished that you hadn't bothered, and that you had, instead, taken Vineet's advice.
Hello Timmy! I was actually under the impression that dealers were selling .380 ACP ammo legally. But given what you said, I think that might not be the case.

Let me modify my question then. Is there any legal way for a legitimate licensed dealer to acquire .380 ACP ammo for resale?
Eddie, I don't wish to question anyone's motives on this matter. I wanted to mention that, if there's a large profit margin, nobody's going to willingly be gabbing about how things are done to achieve it, and also that the course of less resistance is to get what is readily available, rather than jumping through hoops anytime you want to shoot something.
“The principle of self defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them.” - Maya Angelou

User avatar
Vineet
Shooting true
Shooting true
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 am
Location: Punjab

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by Vineet » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:59 pm

There is a list issued by government and only cartridges mentioned in that list can be imported.

.32 ACP, .32 revolver, .380 acp, .30 carbine, 12 bore cartridges are not in the list. Therefore price of these imported cartridges are always high.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

stoic_eddie
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 am

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by stoic_eddie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:23 am

timmy wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 pm
stoic_eddie wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 am
timmy wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:19 am
If people are acquiring 380 ammunition to sell for very high prices, I could think of a few reasons why the sources for such ammunition would be kept secret.

The bottom line is, you will probably have to find out for yourself how 380 ammunition is obtained, and if you do, it may be that you wished that you hadn't bothered, and that you had, instead, taken Vineet's advice.
Hello Timmy! I was actually under the impression that dealers were selling .380 ACP ammo legally. But given what you said, I think that might not be the case.

Let me modify my question then. Is there any legal way for a legitimate licensed dealer to acquire .380 ACP ammo for resale?
Eddie, I don't wish to question anyone's motives on this matter. I wanted to mention that, if there's a large profit margin, nobody's going to willingly be gabbing about how things are done to achieve it, and also that the course of less resistance is to get what is readily available, rather than jumping through hoops anytime you want to shoot something.
That makes eminent sense. Thanks Timmy.

stoic_eddie
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 am

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by stoic_eddie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:25 am

james wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:50 am
If you like Revolver, Ruger 327 is versatile caliber.
You can use 327 ,32 H&R magnum, 32 smith & Wesson long , .32 acp and
32 short in this revolver.
It’s more of a personal choice.
James.
I am more of a pistol guy, James. But thanks for your suggestion!

stoic_eddie
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 am

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by stoic_eddie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:29 am

Vineet wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:59 pm
There is a list issued by government and only cartridges mentioned in that list can be imported.

.32 ACP, .32 revolver, .380 acp, .30 carbine, 12 bore cartridges are not in the list. Therefore price of these imported cartridges are always high.
I was aware of the fact that the DGFT issues a list of cartridges permissible for import. That's why I asked how dealers are able to get their hands on non-importable calibers. Timmy has told me everything I need to know about the subject but thank you anyway Vineet. :cheers:

User avatar
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:03 am
Location: home on the range

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by timmy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:14 am

Whoa!
Timmy has told me everything I need to know about the subject . . .
Be careful! I was just speculating, but Vineet knows what's what about this. If I've told you what you need to know, I haven't told you very much!
“The principle of self defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them.” - Maya Angelou

stoic_eddie
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 am

Re: How do dealers get their hands on .380 ACP and other exotic ammo?

Post by stoic_eddie » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:07 am

timmy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:14 am
Whoa!
Timmy has told me everything I need to know about the subject . . .
Be careful! I was just speculating, but Vineet knows what's what about this. If I've told you what you need to know, I haven't told you very much!
Like you said Timmy, a word to the wise does the job!

Post Reply