First impressions IOF Prahar .32

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

First impressions IOF Prahar .32

Post by revolver » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:00 pm

Greetings to everyone,

I recently bought IOF SAF Kanpur’s latest offering, .32 Prahar revolver. My first impressions are as follows:-

1. Solid build quality with cerakote coating. Contrasting metal grey matte finish to the cylinder and dark matte grey frame. Looks are subjective but I personally feel that the look is a pleasant change to the commonly available blued weapons and even some chrome coated ones that we see. But the frame nevertheless is that of Mk IV at least on the outside.

2. As claimed, the trigger pull is definitely lighter as compared to other IOF revolvers.Even the hammer pull back action is smooth. Because of the factory testing residue and girt, moving parts of the revolver including the safety catch were initially tight ( which is a good thing) but have now loosened up after a nice strip down, lubrication and cleaning of the weapon inside out.Everything is now smooth and silent.

3. It has a u shaped fixed rear sight and a fixed flat foresight.
It comes factory fitted plastic IOF emblem embroidered grip which feels flimsy and upgrading to a quality wodden/fiber grip is a must.

4. Comes with flimsy plastic IOF embossed box. Pics attached. A useless manual because it describes all IOF weapons except Prahar😂 and a cheap poor quality holster.

5. The revolver weighs exactly 740 gms as claimed by the company. Also the barrel is supposed to be chrome plated which too to the naked eye seems true. Though I have no idea how the company claims to have increased the range to 50 Mtrs when there don’t seem to be any structural changes to design compared to the MK IV. I will only be able to confirm the accurate range once I personally test it.

6. Barrel length is 3” and over all length of the revolver is 7”.

Finally, I think the revolver offers what it claims for the price. I will soon put up my firing impressions.

P.S. I also bought some OWB and IWB holsters, ammunition pouch along with steel string retractable lanyard. (Pics attached)

Thanks. Hope you all can gain some insight. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by revolver on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: First impressions IOF Prahar .32

Post by timmy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:02 am

revolver, it looks as if you are about set up for your first trip to the range. I have an "inside-the-waistband" holster by Bianchi similar to the unlabeled one you show, with the metal belt clip. It works well for me.

Mastering a handgun is quite a skill and demonstration in self-control and discipline. It's also a lot of fun. Welcome to the sport!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by revolver » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:26 am

timmy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:02 am
revolver, it looks as if you are about set up for your first trip to the range. I have an "inside-the-waistband" holster by Bianchi similar to the unlabeled one you show, with the metal belt clip. It works well for me.

Mastering a handgun is quite a skill and demonstration in self-control and discipline. It's also a lot of fun. Welcome to the sport!
Thanks. Because of being in law enforcement have officially used many different types of weapons over the years but this happens to be only my second personal weapon, so very eager to see how it performs on the range.

drag73
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by drag73 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Thank you for the review. I am done waiting for Webley or Glock , I have to get something.

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:45 pm

Congrats for your new purchase. Will be waiting for test-firing report.

revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by revolver » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:38 am

drag73 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:24 pm
Thank you for the review. I am done waiting for Webley or Glock , I have to get something.
To be honest I too was waiting for the “Indian Webley”. Glock just looks like a distant dream. I had been doing extensive research on the soon to be launched Webley, so had even contacted a few “master dealers” as Webley calls them. One of them sent me pics of the upcoming Webley with a promise of it being launched on 2nd August 21. I have attached those pics below. But then eventually I got to know through some reliable sources that the Test proofing of the Webley revolvers will take some more time and so I simply gave up and decided to get the Prahar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:43 am

Nishank revolver has leaf spring in the grips where as Parhaar has coil spring. The leaf spring in the Nishank makes the trigger pull very light.

Look wise Parhaar is better as IOF has spoiled the looks of Nishank by extending the barrel beyond the front sight. But preference should be given to working and not the looks.

Attaching pic of Nishank
7DD95FBD-B1E3-443F-87CA-AB83D55A6B56.jpeg
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by revolver » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:57 pm

Vineet wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:43 am
Nishank revolver has leaf spring in the grips where as Parhaar has coil spring. The leaf spring in the Nishank makes the trigger pull very light.
I agree with you on the spring vs leaf argument. However, the trigger pull of Prahar is also quite light. It probably uses a softer recoil spring in the grip. But I don’t think the price difference between the Prahar and Nishank is justified atleast in my state. Prahar in my state is more than 45k cheaper than Nishank. So it makes more sense to me especially if the claimed range is achieved.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:50 am

revolver wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:57 pm
I agree with you on the spring vs leaf argument. However, the trigger pull of Prahar is also quite light. It probably uses a softer recoil spring in the grip. But I don’t think the price difference between the Prahar and Nishank is justified atleast in my state. Prahar in my state is more than 45k cheaper than Nishank. So it makes more sense to me especially if the claimed range is achieved.
Are you from South India ? I have heard this kind of insane prices from South India only. In North India the prices are quite competitive.

Did the dealer have Nishank in his stock ? Or because he didn’t have he just told you false price.

Parhaar is expensive by Rs. 2600 than Nishank. This difference is from IOF factory.

Parhaar is not bad either. Congrats on your purchase. Parhaar sells for around 1.05 lac in North India.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by revolver » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:20 pm

I am from Maharashtra. In my experience weapon prices here are atleast 20-30k more than north india. No fixed price with the dealers as well. Dealers quote prices depending on the popularity of a particular model. 1.05L is what should ideally be the price of Prahar, but I got it a lot more expensive.