Malhotrasons 1911 shooting in India! .45 ACP Guardian MSD-45

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Winters bull pup
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Malhotrasons 1911 shooting in India! .45 ACP Guardian MSD-45

Post by Winters bull pup » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:04 am

Hi,
Can anyone please tell me the price range of imported .45 pistol in India. Such as Ithaca and colt, any leads on a .45 pistol are welcome as I am looking for one.

For Advertising mail webmaster
rs123in
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rs123in » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:33 pm

45 ACP has more felt recoil, largely because the bullet at 230 grains is as much as twice as heavy as the average 115–124 grain 9mm. The design/model of gun can make a difference also.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:20 am

rs123in wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:33 pm
45 ACP has more felt recoil, largely because the bullet at 230 grains is as much as twice as heavy as the average 115–124 grain 9mm. The design/model of gun can make a difference also.
There is more to this than just the weight of the bullet, as you assert. It is true that the 45 Auto bullet is about twice as heavy as the 9mm bullet, but the 9mm bullet is traveling faster than the 45 Auto bullet, and when calculating energy, recall that mass is a linear factor, while velocity is geometric -- it is squared. Consider that the muzzle energies of both bullets are similar, depending on the loading of each. So, what gives?

One issue has to do with design, as you point out. The simplest factor, the shape of the gun, influences felt recoil, all other things being equal. The weight of the gun and its operating parts is also a factor. A composite-framed gun ("plastic") will have a different felt recoil. The mechanism also affects felt recoil. Consider that the same 1911 in 45 Auto has a heavier recoil spring from the factory than does the 9mm chambered 1911, and a heavier spring will result in more felt recoil. Also, the 7.62x25 "Star" pistol has a very stiff hammer spring and perhaps less than advantageous surface contact between hammer and slide (which you can note by operating the slide by hand) and a great deal of energy stored in the recoiling slide is dissipated in cocking the hammer.

I fear that the "largely" value in your statement has been shrinking considerably in our discussion.

I suggest that you browse this article:

https://rangehot.com/recoil-1911/

Note the part where he says:
What we perceive as recoil is mostly muzzle flip, and that happens when the slide impacts the frame. By the time the slide hits the frame, the bullet is about 20 yards downrange.

Note that, as soon as the bullet leaves the barrel, the pressure in the barrel immediately drops to zero (i.e., it is at atmospheric pressure) and no more energy from firing the round is available to be transferred to the gun and affect the experience of felt recoil. All of this takes place quite soon in the firing process. This business is explained quite well in this person's post, the first of the thread:

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php? ... f-the-1911

In other words, I think that what you think is the effect of the "equal and opposite" reaction of the gun to the bullet being fired is mostly that of the recoiling slide hitting the frame stop surface at the end of its travel.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman