Carrying licensed firearm into india

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Nandnp
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Carrying licensed firearm into india

Post by Nandnp » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 am

Hello
I am an Overseas citizen of India cardholder and I have a licensed firearm that I want to carry with me to India.
Can someone here please help out with what the procedure for that is.
Thank you.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Carrying licensed firearm into india

Post by Anand » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:18 pm

There are posts on this topic kindly look through. I am presuming you want to permanently import your firearm to India.
To make it short:
1. Apply for an export permit from your country of residence, they will ask for an import permit in order to process it. That has to be obtained from the
Indian DGFT(I think) for TR, and for sports imports it is the NRAI.

2. By this stage it is expected that you have purchased and owned the said firearm for at least a year, and should not have spent time in India for more
than 6 months (at one time or in bits) in the immediate two years preceding the TR. Also this import of a firearm on TR is once in a lifetime only.
(You can come on TR any number of times but for firearm it is only once). All proofs of ownership and permits such as purchase receipts licenses
etc must be kept and shown.

3.The firearm has to be of Non Prohibited Bore or Permissable Firearms according to the new Arms Rules,2016 along with 50 cartridges only.

4. Once the actual import takes place, Customs clearance must be done in India with an Arms License.

5. The firearm may be sold only after 10 years (but AFAIK replacement permission for it will not be given)

The sequence of operations will vary some what depending on when you are coming and if you already have an Arms License in India.
If on the other hand, you want to merely carry it(such as for self defense) while you visit, that's not possible unless you are a visiting LEO or a diplomat.
For a sports shooter coming to participate in a competition to India all the above will be done by the team manager.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Anand