Raptor End of the Honeymoon

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Raptor End of the Honeymoon

Post by pistolero » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:56 pm

So it seems Guns Blog Waley Bhaiya ka Honeymoon Period is over with Raptor

"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Raptor End of the Honeymoon

Post by Woods » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:26 pm

Deep down the heart , everybody was sceptical about it but just maintained hope and good wishes .

The gun is quite unique as the slide is stucking at a new position every time .

The shooters appearing in the video are legends equally .
And safety ?? What safety!!! You talk like children . ROTFL
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by revolver » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:00 pm

I still do believe that if the pistol is properly ‘broken in’ that it will start firing reliably. Also making use of recent well stored ammunition will help. The shooters seem to be firing it straight out of the box. Even some foreign pistols may have such issues initially let alone a new Indian manufacturer. So let’s cut some slack for the Raptor makers😜 at least we are getting new products. Quality will improve over time.

But gun safety is absolutely abysmal in our country as clearly demonstrated in this video. No excuses for that.

KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by KDS991213 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:02 pm

Is the semi rimmed nature of 32 acp causing feeding issues? Does anyone know what ammo is he using & its quality?

EkManushya
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by EkManushya » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:08 pm

i was thinking of getting this one but looking at this and the other video when these people went to the factory and shot few in which one was a miss, i am moving towards rfi mk2 or nirbheek mk4

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:25 pm

Needs heavy tweaking or a good break in period. Close tolerances could be a problem too. Got to give it a benefit of doubt if Indian ammo is being used. Glock 19s issued to our forces too have feeding problem that is unheard of in the rest of the world. The chamber dimensions relieved slightly helped the Glocks to perform more reliably here in my state. The shooters in the video too need a refreshing course on gun safety I feel.

Markman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:17 pm

Gun is pointing in safe direction, finger off the trigger. They are all dropping the mag (or doing their best to) and racking the slide. Backstop is high and NOT a stone wall. Unlike that idiot who drove to the factory, probably got a free lunch and pointed the muzzle with safety status unknown, at all and sundry, and took shots at a granite wall to show the power.

Most of the stoppages are ‘stovepipes’ I wonder what ammo was used?

Take the mainspring off and rack the slide a couple of hundred times to get rid of the factory burrs.
Polish the feed ramp
Check mag lips and feedramp there.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:48 pm

KDS991213 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:02 pm
Is the semi rimmed nature of 32 acp causing feeding issues? Does anyone know what ammo is he using & its quality?
The mag lips geometry and spring tension can cause the lips to grip the cartridge at uneven angles and prevent the slide from picking it up, or stick the nose out at an extreme angle

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:45 pm

I’ve asked Vikram to post the vids and pic of the target.
Absolute brand new pistol shooter with certified instructor. After preliminary safety brief, started with Colt GoldCup National Match trophy .45 ACP.
Cast projectiles, but a stiff load.
Given some quality ammo and a break in period of about a couple of hundred rounds, the raptor may be a good un after all. The shooters look like they are veterans

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:24 pm

eljefe wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:45 pm
Given some quality ammo and a break in period of about a couple of hundred rounds, the raptor may be a good un after all.
That’s what I would think. I’ve had issues with brand new pistols- stove pipes and jams, even with the venerable Glock. A thorough cleaning and oiling could help too.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:35 pm

PS: you can do a chamber cast using ordinary sulfur and check dimensions. The IOF 30-06 chrome lined chamber is a wee bit tighter than SAAMI specs. To reach its full performance, needs a fresh run with a finish reamer - according to trusted sources with first hand knowledge and extensive gunsmithing experience

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:18 pm

It can be the IOF 32 acp ammo. I have had a gunshop's smith reduce the shoulder of the cartridge case. These rounds work fine in the Ashani, long as you load less than 7 in the magazine.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:38 am

The video and photo from Jefe.

Awesome shooting!

IMG-20220103-WA0049.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:25 am

eljefe wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:45 pm
Given some quality ammo and a break in period of about a couple of hundred rounds . . .
i agree, a few hundred rounds at the range is the normal break in routine for most new pistols, allowing parts to "wear in" and giving good assurance of functioning if and when the chips are down.

What I wonder is, how the normal guy on the street, who goes into the store and buys one of these things or some other new semi-auto pistol, works out the 200 rounds of shooting on his quota of ammunition?

A second question that comes to mind is, if IOF ammunition is mostly what's available, something useful is going to have to handle IOF to be really useful, unless the purchaser can afford the expense of 200 rounds of imported ammunition.

I bring this up because the problem seems to be becoming universal: I have an old Chinese "Star" in 9mm. It would be nice to try some of the new technology rounds, which by all accounts are quite effective, maybe some Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense. The problem is, running 50 or preferably 100 of them, or better yet, of several types, is not possible for me. These gee-whizz rounds are running $30 to $35 per box of 20, making a range session to try them out an over $100 effort, not counting affording a stash for carry purposes.

Of course, one could shoot cheaper ammunition for a break-in -- I can do that with reloads quite easily and at small expense. Doing the same thing with IOF 32 Auto ammunition in one of these guns would be much more expensive, and then there's still the ammunition quota that must be addressed.

But we all know that semi-autos can be quite sensitive to ammunition variations, even to variations that aren't readily visible ("But, they still look the same!") The ammunition that's carried must be tested with a significant amount of the same ammunition.

I'm not trying to be negative here; I'm only wondering how the average citizen buying one of these (or a new Ashani, for that matter) deals effectively with the need for breaking in and assuring reliable operation. If all one wants is a "range queen," then occasional jamming for whatever reason is only a nuisance. But if someone is going to carry the thing, then one must be assured that it will reliably go "bang" when needed, and without second thoughts.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:39 am

Thank you, Vikram.

Exactly, Timmy. The ammo being such a huge variable in the Indian scenario, it will be interesting to use weight sorted cases, FLS, chamfered mouths, Trimmed to length, using a decent design of weight sorted projectiles. MAY turn the sows ear into a silken purse 😉