Webley .32 & .45 ACP pistols to be launched soon

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Webley .32 & .45 ACP pistols to be launched soon

Post by timmy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:47 am

Most of these things, like ambidextrous safeties, extended magazine releases, extended slide releases, "beavertail" grip safeties, and the like are presented by many articles and supposedly "knowledgable" shooters as "must haves."

If you are the sort of person who wants to "style" your 1911 copy to look "cool," then have at it.

I shoot a Colt Series 70. I can't say much about one of the many "knock-offs" or clones that are for sale, as my interest is primarily in Colt firearms. Nor do I care for stainless steel guns. The only modifications I've made to mine is a long trigger and changing the grips. Most of the long triggers, like mine, are oversized, so you must fit them to the slot in the frame to eliminate unnecessary play. I have large hands, so the arched mainspring housing works for me. My brother has my Dad's WW2 1911 with the flat mainspring housing, so I know that changing to a flat spring housing isn't something I want to do.

I like the non-slip grasp that the Pachmayr wrap-around grips afford. They work well, and to my mind and purposes, work better than the stock wood ones.

I have never been "bitten" by slide or hammer, so I have no need for one of those "beavertail" things to get hung up on clothes or whatever.

The same with ambidextrous safeties: I'm not left handed, nor do I pack a pair of them with a 2nd one in my left hand, so I don't need one.

I can reach the magazine release button and the slide release just fine, and don't need big canoe paddles on the gun to hang up in holsters or clothes.

Some folks want fancy sights. I've found that generally, my handguns shoot to where the should for the sort of shooting I do, and they give an adequate sight picture. If I was to engage intensely in some kind of competition, perhaps a better sight for my purpose might be called for, but I have also carried my 1911 (I don't anymore) and the target sights do extend above the slide more than the ones that came with the gun. Since mine shoots fine, I didn't need an adjustable rear sight and figure that the factory sight will be the last one to "get out of whack."

If you are a sensible person who wants a gun that shoots well, consider this: Get the gun and shoot it for awhile. If you find that one of these gadgets might meet your needs, then try it out and see whether it improves your ability to shoot. Otherwise, keep your money for more practice ammunition.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman