Pistol suggestion for my use

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
vasanthm
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Pistol suggestion for my use

Post by vasanthm » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:22 pm

Hello All,

I have been lurking on these forums and I have learnt a lot and I think this is my first post..
My pistol license is going to be issued shortly. I basically need it for self protection since I carry cash to the bank on a regular basis and also
travel to different business locations late at night. I'm not a gun enthusiast and my only exposure to guns has been my dad's SBBL..

I keep reading on these forums on how bad the IOF pistols are and how the foreign manufacturers like webley etc etc keep getting delayed.
What is my best choice now given the use case, I can spend upto a few lakhs for the weapon.. any help would be appreciated..

For Advertising mail webmaster
veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Pistol suggestion for my use

Post by veeveeaar » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:05 pm

Get a brand new latest IOF Ashani 2A . It is proven and tested. You can get any issue if any rectified locally.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:19 pm

Currently you can go with RFI mk 2 pistol, IOF .32 Nirbheek revolver, Indian Webley is also readily available.

Many more private companies will be coming in next two three years.

Merely keeping a weapon won’t help you. You will have to learn to use it properly and also learn to be aware of your surroundings.

Do watch YouTube channel ‘Active self protection’. It will help you a lot in self defence.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

pokhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pokhar » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:44 am

veeveeaar wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:05 pm
Get a brand new latest IOF Ashani 2A . It is proven and tested. You can get any issue if any rectified locally.
Hi, has this mark 2A been launched. As per my information It was supposed to be launched in first week of April this year.
Thanks

jitsingh1977
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jitsingh1977 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:05 am

If you are new to use weapon, first go for revolver, pistols needs more care and knowledge, still if you go for pistol then what choice u have, raptor-many complains, msd- too expensive and heavy, ashani mk2 mk3- needs more expertise, so better option is revolver for you, reliable and tested, but little difficult for concealed carry, but it's manageable, rest is you choice, check prahar you will like it,

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:55 am

Vineet wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:19 pm
Currently you can go with RFI mk 2 pistol, IOF .32 Nirbheek revolver, Indian Webley is also readily available.

Many more private companies will be coming in next two three years.

Merely keeping a weapon won’t help you. You will have to learn to use it properly and also learn to be aware of your surroundings.

Do watch YouTube channel ‘Active self protection’. It will help you a lot in self defence.
Vineet's advice is about as good as you can do, considering what is available. To his advice, I would add:

1. Try to make sure what you get operates correctly. If there's any question about your firearm's reliability, take it to a gunsmith who knows what he's doing. The money you spend is the cost of doing the business you want to accomplish. If your weapon isn't reliable, you are only wasting time and money, as well as risking your safety.

2. "Learn to use the weapon properly," as Vineet advises. Join a club, get help, and practice is probably your best bet here.

3. "Be aware of your surroundings." "This is called situational awareness." Here is an excerpt from "The Snubby Revolver" by Ed Lovette, a very helpful (but by no means the only) book on this matter:
Switching On

Once you have a grasp of the basics you can switch "on" and "off" at will. Thus, to and from work or anytime you are on the street you need to be switched "on." The trick is that you need to be street-ready before you leave your home or your office. This is often easier said than done (using home as an example) because one of the kids may be sick, you just had a fight with our spouse, you have an endless supply of bills and a real shortage of cash, and so on. But despite these problems, every morning you still need to leave the house, get into your car, and go to work.

To keep this really simple and thus workable, I use two switches. Col. Cooper told us many years ago, when you put on a gun, you need to go into condition yellow. You need to free up your mind so that it can begin to receive the input you need to pick up and process in order to spot trouble. If you are not carrying a sidearm, a final check is to key your alertness turn-on to switching on your vehicle. When putting your car in drive, do likewise with your awareness.

Question That Which Doesn't Fit

Asking yourself questions about what your are seeing helps you separate what fits from what doesn't. And, equally important, it helps you focus on a person or detail and resolve their behavior or presence. This simple act instantly makes them less of a threat, because now they can't surprise you.
Here are the four states of situational awareness according to Col. Jeff Cooper, a famous self defense instructor from here: https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/20 ... awareness/
Colonel Jeff Cooper was one of the greatest tactical minds of the 20th century. A Marine officer, firearms pioneer, and the founder of the world-famous Gunsite Academy, Col. Cooper developed an easy-to-understand series of color codes to teach awareness. These are broken up into four sections.

White
In Condition White, you are unaware and relaxed. Generally, you are unaware of what is going on around you. The times when you may be in this condition are when you are sleeping or safely settled in at home for the evening. This is also the state that most people enter, however, when they obsess over their mobile devices in public. Condition White is essentially being unprepared to respond to any form of danger.

Yellow
In Condition Yellow, you are relaxed yet aware of what and who is around you. You are “plugged in” to what is happening and paying attention to your surroundings. This is the optimal condition for day-to-day life and should be the basis of your awareness. Being in Condition Yellow allows you to react to threats quickly should they arise, because you will not be surprised.

Orange
In Condition Orange, you have become aware of a potential problem. While it may be nothing, it has caught your attention and increased your level of alertness. If you are attacked during this state, your response time will be much faster. You have identified a problem and are already searching for solutions. Your mind is running through a series of possible “what-if” scenarios as you look at options.

Red
In Condition Red, you are ready to fight. You may not actually have to act on that, but your body and mind are now prepared for physical conflict. While this does not mean you instantly attack someone, you are certainly ready and waiting for a specific trigger or predetermined action that will launch the process. This state is where you have made a decision that you are ready and willing to fight back.
You can follow up with the links on the linked page if you are interested in following through with this.

Above all, don't be one of those people that Humphrey Bogart refers to in the movie, "The Big Sleep": "My, my, my! Such a lot of guns around town and so few brains! You know, you're the second guy I've met today that seems to think a gat in the hand means the world by the tail."

Many think that, just because they've strapped on a gun, they are safe and nobody will dare trifle with them. Such thinking is extremely foolish. Carrying a gun might give you better odds of surviving or protecting your possessions if you are ready and wise in the split-second you have to respond to what looks like a threat. It could also land you in jail.

Anyone who does not take these considerations into account has no business carrying a firearm, in my opinion.

Best of luck to you.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman