WHAT IS THE BEST MODEL FOR A SMALL FAMILY?

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
pkaran
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

WHAT IS THE BEST MODEL FOR A SMALL FAMILY?

Post by pkaran » Sat May 07, 2022 10:28 am

Please suggest a suitable weapon considering the following points:

• A non-prohibited bore
• A Revolver or a Pistol and why? (Please express your personalised opinion that may show your knowledge and wisdom on the subject, as if it were for yourself).
• Suggest an NPB above .22
• Consider the use by my wife. (I would personally prefer a revolver for its mechanical simplicity and ease of use. Besides, its looks would give them a more (traditional) weaponry look than a packed pistol would that they may handle them with the seriousness it deserves such as not keeping it in a vanity bag, for example)
• Definitely not an IOF product.
• Conceal and carry.
• Any other considerations
Anticipatory thanks in consideration of your valuable time!

P.S: I know that conceal and carry is the established norm but what are the reprecussions when the weapon is seen being carried?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: WHAT IS THE BEST MODEL FOR A SMALL FAMILY?

Post by Vineet » Sat May 07, 2022 8:09 pm

Instead of writing such a long post you could have said please suggest imported .22 revolver for self defence.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

EkManushya
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by EkManushya » Sat May 07, 2022 8:12 pm

he is asking for above .22

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat May 07, 2022 8:13 pm

Oh I missed that.

Smith and Wesson model 31-1 seems your best bet.
You can also consider IOF Nishank. It has light trigger pull and price is around 1.05 lac. Thirdly you can go with Webley. Both imported and Indian are available.

But if budget is not a problem then definitely Smith.
Last edited by Vineet on Wed May 11, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

EkManushya
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by EkManushya » Sat May 07, 2022 10:02 pm

@Vineet - there was one yt video in which iof officials talked a lot of good things about new Nirbheek MKIV model. didn't saw any other info after that. as per your experience, nishank is better than new or old nirbheek? thanks.

revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by revolver » Sun May 08, 2022 2:56 pm

Considering it’s for the lady in the house and your other requirements like, it not being IOF, easy to conceal and carry, caliber higher than .22, NPB etc, I would recommend a CZ model 45 .25 ACP. Yes it’s not a revolver but definitely something worth considering and as I know it’s reliably available on India.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun May 08, 2022 3:40 pm

As of now, in India we can wish and can dream of having brands like S&W, Colt, CZ etc but practically when some one is out for a buy then only we face the reality that fir a brand new weapon we have only IOF freely available as of now, (some brands of made in India in recent days and lot of discussions are on, I am not sure for their availability)
old stock of imported brands is the next option.
As you mentioned for revolvers and not IOF then think for S&W or Colt in .32. Most common and popular.
With all regards and respect I would like to mention that if the user or occasional user is your Wife then Ask the Lady to get well-versed with the weapon.
Regards

Shivaji

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Sun May 08, 2022 7:10 pm

Smith&Wesson 32 caliber.
Try to search for the actual owner who imported in the 80s. You will get it, if the budget is not a constraint.

pkaran
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pkaran » Tue May 10, 2022 11:57 am

Thanks, Gentlemen, for your kind feedback! I truly appreciate your time. I believe a Glock would be a better option. A CZ model as suggested in the post will also be considered. See you soon.

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Tue May 10, 2022 7:55 pm

pkaran wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:57 am
Thanks, Gentlemen, for your kind feedback! I truly appreciate your time. I believe a Glock would be a better option. A CZ model as suggested in the post will also be considered. See you soon.

What happened to your arms license revision petition. Is this thread related with the same petition having been allowed ?
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

pkaran
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pkaran » Tue May 10, 2022 9:03 pm

Yes Dear Woods!
I am glad to inform that finally I have passed the long labyrinthine tunnel!

I am thankful in particularly to timmy, pran80, Ambi, pgupta and vikram while my special thanks are due to Woods and StampMaster. It was Pran who sent me a copy of a revision petition based on which I had completely rewritten my petition.

It was a Video Conference Call with the Commissioner in which the DM was represented by the Deputy Collector. He was asked two questions both of which the DC could not answer. While all the reports received by the DM, except the Police Report, were in my favour, there was nothing incriminating against me in the Police Report, which claimed that the “area where I stay is calm and quiet”, no law and order violations were reported from it and that I faced no threat to my life all of which I was able to refute with evidence.

Thank you friends for all the support!

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Wed May 11, 2022 12:31 pm

pkaran wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:03 pm
Yes Dear Woods!

Thank you friends for all the support!
Now you're soon to be a gun owner and the actual tricky part starts from here . It need not be mentioned but Please do learn to handle the weapon very meticulously . Once you use the gun even in rightful scenario, the world around you changes totally . I have written a post regarding consequences I faced when I had to use my pistol in a self defense scenario . It was construed as a " gun firing in a road rage " event . I lost my job as a Class 1 public servant and could never wash off this impression at any stage of the proceedings so far . Be careful - cumulative social perception is a huge factor .
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

pkaran
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pkaran » Sat May 14, 2022 10:42 am

Woods, Dear!
Can you please send me a link to your post narrating the incident? A learned man can live with the laws but the social perceptions, stigma, attitudes and behaviour are awesome! Let me learn from your experience. Also, what are some of the reprecussions of the weapon being seen while you carry it in public?

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 pm

pkaran wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:28 am
Please suggest a suitable weapon considering the following points:

• A non-prohibited bore
• A Revolver or a Pistol and why? (Please express your personalised opinion that may show your knowledge and wisdom on the subject, as if it were for yourself).
• Suggest an NPB above .22
• Consider the use by my wife. (I would personally prefer a revolver for its mechanical simplicity and ease of use. Besides, its looks would give them a more (traditional) weaponry look than a packed pistol would that they may handle them with the seriousness it deserves such as not keeping it in a vanity bag, for example)
• Definitely not an IOF product.
• Conceal and carry.
• Any other considerations
Anticipatory thanks in consideration of your valuable time!

P.S: I know that conceal and carry is the established norm but what are the reprecussions when the weapon is seen being carried?
Is your wife licenced?

I’ve read that you just got a licence.
So,Revolver- .22 or .32.
For my self ? .45 Colt Gold Cup National Match Trophy.Because I’ve used it extensively,and am familiar with every nuance. 2nd would be a S&W 586 in .357. Same reason.
I’Ve carried and shot handguns for 35 years.some weeks 200 rounds a session. So there’s no commonality just now.
Cost and limitations on ammo for practice
The above 2 calibers are considered ideal.
Given the variations in ammo availability in India, reliability may be better with a revolver.

Conceal carry- yes. A good holster will serve the purpose.
Open carry- check with local rules and babudom interpretation.

I wouldnt write off a .22 at all. In a self defense scenario, 2 shots to centre body mass and 1 to the head work. In most calibers.
Unless its a PCP or other drug stoked addict.
Last i remember reading, a bad guy took a documented 17 147 gr 9mm rounds from 2 policemen. He was on PCP.

Get the gun tuned up for reliability
Improve/optimise: Upper body and upper limb strength. Especially weak hand.
Practice - carry, draw and aim. Both single and 2 handed. including a semi lit room,and with a good torch.
Simple scenarios-NOT IPSC or SEAL or special forces room clearing scenarios as popularised on YouTube !
Distance-no more than 7 yards.
Live fire without earmuffs. Atleast 3/10 rounds. To get the startle reflex used to the noise

“ If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you…”
Rudyard Kipling

Which means, in the context of gun ownership, 9/10 times, grin and bear it or turn and walk away. Ownership is a formidable responsibility and display is not deterrence.
All this is because your posts suggest it is a self defense scenario carry gun you are interested in?

You can always develop the muscle memory with practice, how it correlates to a real life scenario? I wish you luck…remember the old adage- “Due to ammo shortage, no warning shots will be fired” 🤣
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun May 15, 2022 4:42 pm

PS.
Unlike consumer goods like a washing machine or a rice cooker, the concept of a ‘gun for a small/large family’ will not be an appropriate premise.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."