COLT PYTHON 3"

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

COLT PYTHON 3"

Post by Jr. » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:29 pm

Dear Members,
My relative recently purchased the Colt Python.
He does not live in India.
Just wanted to share images and details of the Revolver on the Forum.
Owning something like this is a distant dream for us Indians,
Hence some may feel it a waste to view such posts.
My idea is to share the live images and details with Gun enthusiasts.
I myself can only envy and drool at his collection.
I hope to shoot as many Firearms as possible in this lifetime,
And for what is left unfulfilled, only hope that God (up there), has an Armory and a Shooting Range for us Gun Lovers.
My Uncle has already shot it at the range and put couple of boxes of 357 Magnum, through it.
Does not believe in preserving a Firearm in unfired condition, loves to use all his Handguns.
The way I look at it- His money, can do as he pleases with it.
He has a problem in his wrist or finger cant remember correctly, this is the result of over firing High Calibers in a single outing.
He probably does not feel the strain while on the range and in his love and enthusiasm, does not know when to stop.
The muscle/joint strain kicks in later.
I can relate to the enthusiasm.
He has owned and used several High Caliber Handguns including a S&W Snub-Nose 500 Magnum.
I quote the details below as provided by him
'Inside the Colt Box, lifetime warranty card, NRA membership card, gun lock, orange disc for chamber safety indication,
Serial tag seal to Indicate new gun and instruction manual in English and Italian.
The Gun is full stainless steel with walnut grips and a colt logo.
Adjustable rear sights with a changeable front sight. 6 shots with 3” full lug barrel.
Fantastic single and double action.
Enforced frame with 35% more of steel on top frame.
Less moving parts hence longevity is guaranteed.
Python commenced reproduction in 2020 and only 6” Barrel was produced.
Since sales exceeded the expectations a 4.25” barrel was also added.
In May 2022 by an enormous request of collectors the 3” was on production line, limited to only 2000 guns for worldwide distribution.
Almost all were sold in the USA and Canada.
I ordered one paying in advance.
The importer is a good fried of my gunsmith and this being the only one for the Italian market(at least for now).
Python snubbies are a part of the self defense category and so in Europe not all are in favor of buying one'
Unquote

Regards,
Jr.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: COLT PYTHON 3"

Post by timmy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:25 pm

How lovely! I'm sure your uncle is enjoying that Colt!

For some reason, nickel plated guns, along with stainless steel, have never interested me, except for the Python. They always seem to look great in nickel, and this one is no exception.

Thanks for sharing!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:58 pm

Apologies for taking this thread a little off topic......came across some information recently which no doubt will peak timmy's interest. Please watch this video:

On a personal note, always been a fan of revolvers. Korth, Manurhin,Smith&Wesson, Colt being the preferred ones in the order specified. Watching the above video made me place Spohr ahead of S&W.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:51 pm

Prabath, I'm sure that these are very fine revolvers, as they ought to be for the starting price of €2200. It would be difficult for me to pass an informed opinion on them, since it's highly unlikely that I'd ever get the chance to see one, much less shoot one. I would be like anyone else and have to rely on a review by someone else.

One of our members here has posted about his Korth. There is no way I'd ever be able to afford such a revolver, although that has nothing to do with whether I'd want one or whether they are good. A Korth is a fine weapon, from what I understand. JANZ is another German make that I know nothing about. There were some used French Manurhin revolvers for sale here that went for pretty hefty prices, and I would have liked to have had one, as I appreciate French things and understand that Manurhin revolvers are of older Colt Python quality, at least.

So this Spohr does look like a fine weapon, but I really can't say much more about it.

+ + + + +

From a taste perspective, mine are firmly in the Colt camp. If I had big money, I would probably be looking for some sort of Colt. If I had very big money, I'd probably just go for an even more expensive Colt, either engraved, rare, or both.

The exception I'd make to another Colt would be having a Webley Fosbery.

I'm to the point where having a very fine gun won't do much for me, because I can't see well enough to shoot at rarified levels. So the super precision, and "combat" sort of excellence is beyond me.

One thing about this Spohr that isn't up my alley is the Polygonal rifling. I know it's supposed to be great, but I only shoot cast bullets in my handguns (other than some military surplus 7.62 x 25) and cast bullets don't mix with polygonal rifling very well. I did note that Spohr used a 300 mm twist, which is a fast twist -- this is what made Colt Pythons so accurate, particularly in the heavier bullet ranges. The slower traditional Smith & Wesson twist was best suited for lighter bullets. As my 38 shooting is primarily 148 grain wadcutters, a fast twist is the 38 revolver for me!

As far as a trigger goes (and this was mentioned), I have an old Colt that was tuned for an old Native American fellow years ago, and the trigger is what I call fired by thought -- that's about all it takes to bust a cap with it. It is a real joy to shoot, and I can do OK with it.

In general, I like a Colt Royal Blue finish, like the old ones have, and I much prefer this to the stainless steel look. Every now and then, I see a nickel revolver that I like, usually a Python.

I don't much care for Picatinny rail stuff. I don't care to hang things on a handgun.

One thing I think but usually don't admit: I like a revolver that rotates clockwise, where the hand pushes the cylinder into the frame, rather than out, and so don't usually see the need for a lock at the front, much less a "triple lock."

+ + + + +

But all of this stuff in the second part of my post is only silly opinions -- just the way I am and what I like. The fine guns mentioned at the beginning are all great, I'm sure, but I have no experience with them. I'd love to try them out, but that probably won't happen.

One more thing: regarding cartridges and chambering of revolvers, I do like the 38 Special and the 45 Colt. I would like to have a 480 Ruger sometime.

I can accept that 9mm has a place in revolvers, but in that case, the long 357 cylinder isn't at all necessary, and the revolver can be optimized for 9mm with a very short cylinder. That's why interchangeable cylinders isn't something I'm too interested in having. What gun lover wants one gun that does everything? I'd much rather have a whole bunch of different guns!

I had thought about a 9mm revolver until the 32 Magnum came out, which seems to me to make 9mm revolvers unnecessary, as good as they may be. The advantage that one gets from the 32 is a 6 shot gun in a small frame, which 9mm can't offer.

I do wonder what sort of lockwork the Spohr uses -- it would be interesting to see one taken apart.

So, in short, the Spohr is what appears to be a really nice revolver, but one about which I can't give a knowledgable opinion.

Thanks for sharing this!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:24 am

timmy,

Always a pleasure to go through your posts. So much can be learnt . Thank you.