Youtuber Garand Thumb's Pistol Mud Test and The Outstanding Performance of the M&P Shield 2.0

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
kanzakibullet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Youtuber Garand Thumb's Pistol Mud Test and The Outstanding Performance of the M&P Shield 2.0

Post by kanzakibullet » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:13 pm

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all are doing well. I have been a fan of the Youtube channel Garand Thumb, and he recently conducted a mud test where he dropped a number of pistols like Glocks, M1911s, H&K Mark 23, Desert Eagle, etc into the mud and see how they performed. One of the outstanding victors that even beat the Glock in reliability was the M&P 2.0 Pistol chambered in 9mm. Interestingly, Mr. Garand Thumb also performed a similar test but in snow and once again found the M&P 2.0 to perform well. I think the M&P 2.0's performance and its growing popularity as an alternative to the Glock brand of pistols (Model 17, Model 19, etc.) warrants a discussion on the features enabling M&P 2.0's solid performance.

M&P Shield Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_M%26P

Mud Test Video:

Snow Test Video:

An important point that stood out to me is that both the M&P Shield 2.0 and the Glock pistols are based on the Browning Hi-Power, yet there is such a difference in their performance (Further the Browning Hi-Power was also tested in the mud test video and it failed). Clearly, the difference between the two is not from their basic design but rather the application of their basic design. Insight into these factors may be important for our own arms industry, especially considering the standard issue pistol for paramilitary and military forces in India is the Browning Hi-Power.

Looking forward to everyone's comments,
Kanzaki Bullet

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Youtuber Garand Thumb's Pistol Mud Test and The Outstanding Performance of the M&P Shield 2.0

Post by timmy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:17 pm

The Smith & Wesson is a popular pistol. In the Wiki link you included, it notes that the pistol's "short recoil operated, locked breech semi-automatic pistol introduced in the summer of 2005 by the American company Smith & Wesson. It uses a Browning-type locking system."

This short recoil system was a common feature in many Browning designs decades older than the Hi Power, including the USA 1911 government Model and older pistols. So many pistols use a short recoil locked breech action today that the ones that don't (other than lower powered blowback action pistols) are somewhat unique.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman