New Side swing Revolver From IOF.

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Re: New Side swing Revolver From IOF.

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:26 am

Indian government bought revolvers from Ruger in .38S&W for the state police forces in the 1980's. This revolver is a rip off of that. The shape of the frame at the grips is a bit strange though.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:24 am

winnie_the_pooh wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:26 am
Indian government bought revolvers from Ruger in .38S&W for the state police forces in the 1980's. This revolver is a rip off of that. The shape of the frame at the grips is a bit strange though.
👍👍

RamMani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by RamMani » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:28 pm

casual shooter wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:16 pm
werywin costs about 2.3 L
For the Revolver?

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:42 pm

kanzakibullet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kanzakibullet » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:39 am

I am curious, why doesn't IOF try to make a revolver based on the Colt Single Action Army? The patent is freely available, the design and construction should be simple enough considering it is a 19th-century design, the fixed barrel system is structurally strong, and they can make snub nose and 6-inch barrel variants in .22LR, .32ACP, .32S&W, and .45ACP, and the list goes on. The only con is the lack of hammer safety, but adding a simple manual safety that prevents the hammer from hitting the cartridge should be easy. Such safety mechanism designs are pretty old and should be available in the public domain.

Sometimes I wish I was on the board of one of the Indian Ordinance Factories.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:43 pm

Single Action Army design is safe enough if one doesn't load the chamber under the hammer, and in that, it is just as safe as the current IOF revolver, which has a hammer safety that provides no safety.

Copying the Ruger transfer bar system (which was actually used by Iver Johnson around the 19th Century) would be easy and eliminate any such issues -- without adding a useless gadget called a safety. Properly designed revolvers don't need a safety.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Rajput93
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Rajput93 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:44 pm

manishksethi wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:21 am
Price is too high. Around 1.5 lakh + taxes.
It is 1.40 inclusive of tax. Even that I think is bit on higher side.

Rajput93
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Rajput93 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:34 pm

I recently received my SAF Prabal revolver. It has comparatively lighter trigger pull. It’s cylinder release and swing action feels much smoother than that of RFI 0.22 revolver. Its overall feel and quality feels better than previous revolver. However you can still see IOF’s poor paint finish.
IMG_3659.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rs123in
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rs123in » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 pm

Rajput93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:34 pm
I recently received my SAF Prabal revolver. It has comparatively lighter trigger pull. It’s cylinder release and swing action feels much smoother than that of RFI 0.22 revolver. Its overall feel and quality feels better than previous revolver. However you can still see IOF’s poor paint finish.
IMG_3659.jpeg
Congratulations on your new possession, infact same thing I recommend on my YouTube Channel WTV. Very Good choice indeed, minus the usual glitches of IOF products.

Just wanted to know Mechanical safeties in revolver, as there is no applied safety, like safety catch?

Also pls share more pics and videos. Thanks

Rajput93
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Rajput93 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:45 pm

rs123in wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 pm
Rajput93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:34 pm
IMG_3659.jpeg
Congratulations on your new possession, infact same thing I recommend on my YouTube Channel WTV. Very Good choice indeed, minus the usual glitches of IOF products.

Just wanted to know Mechanical safeties in revolver, as there is no applied safety, like safety catch?

Also pls share more pics and videos. Thanks
Thank you. I came across your YouTube channel while I was doing research for handgun to buy. It was very informational and helpful. Infact malfunction of latch in Prahar in your video reminded me of similar incident with my grandfather's Webley and because of that I refrained from buying top break revolvers.

As you have rightly pointed out Prabal does not have an safety switch though it has stiff trigger to prevent negligible discharge. As Prabal is clone of Ruger service six it also has a transfer bar (internal drop safety) that prevents hammer from striking firing pin till trigger is pressed. This will prevent accidental discharge incase one drops the revolver or some unforeseen pressure on hammer. I am attaching link of hicock45's video of this mechanism in rugger for reference.

Here are some pictures of my revolver.
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 12.41.43_03243744.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 12.41.43_37357d64.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 12.33.56_dfeca93f.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:02 pm

As has been said here many times, a properly designed double action revolver (which does not include the IOF Webley-type revolvers, which must have an empty chamber under the hammer) is completely safe in competent hands without any form of safety catch or other add on apparatus.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Rajput93
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Rajput93 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:36 pm

timmy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:02 pm
As has been said here many times, a properly designed double action revolver (which does not include the IOF Webley-type revolvers, which must have an empty chamber under the hammer) is completely safe in competent hands without any form of safety catch or other add on apparatus.
You are right. You did mention rugger transfer bar system. That and stiff trigger pretty much make ups for the lack safety catch if one has good trigger discipline.

BMG50
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by BMG50 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:23 pm

But i noticed the B-C gap is more then Ruger. If i am worng, plz correct me.