Need Some Advice to buy New Handgun

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
dgun
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Need Some Advice to buy New Handgun

Post by dgun » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:15 am

Friends, I am planning to buy a Handgun for me ( i am in Houston, Texas)

getting gun license in USA is no Big Deal, all you need is Drivers License & background check (takes about 24 Hrs).

i need your help to decide which Gun to buy

i am Planning of buying GLOCK Sub Compact 9mm.

what do you think of that, also can you educate me of different Choice, Pros & Cons of each

Well form what I heard GLOCKS are Virtually Indestructible & can be Fire in any condition (Extreme heat or Cold or in Water) & also easy to Maintain & Clean

what are you guys think of that ?

please help me

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Need Some Advice to buy New Hnadgun

Post by Sakobav » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:50 am

dgun

well come aboard. Great you are living in gun friendly state. But still make sure you have your papers in order for lic especially if you ARE not a Green Card holder or US citizen. As some one else advised me follow the rules to "T".
Pros and cons of a gun are are contingent on your budget mostly and need (incase you need to carry it concealed etc) Glock is a great gun cannot go wrong with it if you are looking for sub compact then try Kahr, Sig, Smith Wesson, and CZ also. I would also recommend revolvers. Just visit your local gun store and see which feels better. Rest there are others on this board who can advise you better. Have you shortlisted any other brands?

all the best

Navdeep

dgun
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dgun » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:28 am

thanks Navdeep,

i am US citizan (just become last August), but originaly from Bombay, India.

i have read & heard so much about GLOCK that i am overwhelm with it ( cant even think of any other brand) that is the reason i decided to ask all you GURUS for HELP

i am really not that big fan of Revolvers

As far as budget goes, if i can buy Brand New Glock i can Practically afford any gun ( I think all 9 mm are in same price Range)

Also most local gun Store are intrested in my biusiness than anything else ( i am not saying they are not friendly, but they dont want to spend time after showing me all the guns)

thanks

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:31 am

good to have you here, dgun.

Don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but please make sure you understand all the rules before you decide to buy a gun, especially if you are not a US citizen/permanent resident.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm

The link above should explain the federal rules (contact your State Police for state rules). Pay extra attention to section R in the FAQs above, if you happen to be a non-immigrant alien (student, work visa, etc.)

A lot of times firearms dealers, especially in pro gun states where there are very few restrictions for citizens, don't know much about processing non citizen (especially non immigrant alien) cases. The burden of providing all documents is always on the buyer, so please do some research on the ATF website to avoid any trouble during your FFL transfer.

Being a non-immigrant alien myself, I have gone through the process myself, a few times, and if you have everything in order, it is fairly simple, in a gun friendly state. So PM me, if you have any specific questions.

You will have to do some basic research yourself on the handguns, calibres available, etc. Asking for pros and cons of 'all handguns' is an open ended question, something specific like 'pros and cons of double action and single action', 'revolvers and semi autos' would get you more answers.

Take care now,
Naren

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:36 am

just read your post, since you are a citizen, you should be all set to walk into a gun store, and buy a gun, in Texas.

But please make sure you understand all aspects of gun safety very well before you handle a gun.

And please don't try shooting that Glock under water.

check out Sigarms.com, Glocks don't come close to Sigs IMHO.

go to the website youtube and do a search for "Sig Torture Test".

You will like what you see.

-N

dgun
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dgun » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:16 am

hi n,

thank for all the info, simply great.

no i am not going to shoot glock under Water ( i am very well aware of DANGER of that)

i ma Basically looking for SUB Compact 9 mm with low Maintance & good very very good reliablity, which can take all make of AMMO, also i am going to apply for Conceal Lic

also what you guys think, should i go for 9 mm or .40

thanks

dgun

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:01 pm

Dgun,
Good luck and I envy you!
BUT, would you be amenable to a 45? :twisted:
Both the guys above are experienced shooters and responsible gun owners.Their advice is sound and savvy.
If you are planning for a CCW etc, why not a bigger punch? I know the debate on 45 vs 9 will also go on till the cows come home, but I'm a 45 fan...hence this biased reply.
best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Asif,

I don't have the ballistics figures handy, but AFAIK the .40 S&W packs a serious punch... :) I believe there are many people who swear by the 10mm too... not to undermine the .45 in any way, it has a dedicated following of die hards (me included) ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Raj Khalid
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Need Some Advice to buy New Handgun

Post by Raj Khalid » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi Guys
Can I jump into this debate? One calliber which I think is awesome for all purposes is the .38 Super, it is the old .38 Auto beefed up. The caliber is very very acurate as was used in various Bianchi CUp matches. The comped guns from Wilson, STI etc are super acurate. The cal is also large enough for 1 shot stopping power. So consider a .38 super with two slides, one for targets and plinking and one for a CCW.

raj

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:44 pm

dgun,
I will also agree with Asif (eljefe) and Abhijeet (mundaire) and suggest a .45 or atleast a .40 if you plan on carrying it.

Like everyone else said, the debate on which (9/.380 or .40/.45) is better is a never ending one, but my first preference for a carry weapon will always be .45, second.357 Sig/.40 S&W in case of an automatic and .357 Magnum/.38 Special +P in case of a revolver.

Why do you think the special forces, marines have gone back to the .45s from their 9mm Berettas, and even the other factions of the military are seriously considering the .45

Homeland security and various State Police agencies have adopted the .357 Sig and/or the .40 S&W.

Another factor could be what calibre you are most comfortable shooting with. But this part is tricky.

For a new shooter, a 9mm will always feel better (more accurate too) than a .40 or a .45, but after some practice you would get comfortable with a .45 too.

Not trying to force the .45 on you, but I would suggest shooting each calibre a few times, reading up on the ballistics, considering the situations you need to carry in, etc. before deciding on buying the gun.

Dfritz (on this forum) carries a Sig P226 DAK in .40 S&W. The .40 is a slightly smaller (compared to the .45) sized cartridge but packs considerably more punch than the 9mm.
Since it is a smaller round, the 226 magazine (double stack) holds 12 rounds compared to the Sig 220 (single stack 8 round). I have asked him to post his experience here.

I am not a huge fan of polymer pistols and the Glock being one doesn't rank high in my list. I am not a big fan of the boxy shape either, but I do know people who love the shape.

Sig has started making a 'Carry' model of the 220, called the P220 Carry, you should check it out, it is small (3.9" barrel), suited for concealment, and carries 8 .45 ACP rounds in the magazine.
The Carry is also available with the DAK (Double Action Kellerman)trigger which is a double action only with a consistent 6.5 lbs. trigger pull.

Sig also makes compact models in 9mm, I do suggest you look at Sigs and try shooting them (at a range where you can rent) before you make a purchase.

Sigs are very easy to clean/field strip - only 3 steps
Check out picture 3 on the link below

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=266

And don't forget to watch this video, don't think glocks could take this.

-Naren

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:57 pm

dgun,

Since you want a Glock and almost every body here suggests going in for a .45 calibre, how about the .45GAP.

Take care,
penpusher

dgun
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dgun » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:34 am

Thanks a lot friens for lot of good info & advice

I am glad i stumble to this Web Site, simply great & lot of support from you guys

Regarding .40 vs .45 i think i will go with .40 as it can take littel more ammo then .45 ( what you guys think ?) & being a littel smaller i think i can concealed with more comfort

But i am still not sure what i am going to buy

Regarding SIG & GLOCK how you guys Compare both in sub compact in Equal Calibar ( Like Appel to Appeal comparison in same Catogary) both .40 or 9 mm in

Ease of Opearting Gun
Reliability
Accuracy
Recoil
Size of Cartridge (Magazine Capicity)
Ease of Maintance
Concealment
Varity of Ammo ( how good they are with different Brand Ammo - performance)

These are some of the thing i can think of

I Would Greatly Appriciate You Input on above.

thanks
Dgun

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:09 am

Dgun,

Join a gun club - in Texas it should be the easiest thing possible - and try out a few different guns. Glocks are popular pistols as are SIGs - you might prefer one over the other after trying them. Otherwise, all questions are little more than armchair speculation. You might even find that a pistol from a company other than a Glock or a SIG attracts you...

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:16 am

dgun,
Like Mehul said, best thing to do is to find a gun range where you can rent weapons and try out different, calibres, makes, etc.

Here, I've even done the searching for you,

http://www.topgunrange.com/firearms_rental.htm

This place claims to be Houston's finest. You can also get some full auto action in, if you like.

I own a Sig but haven't owned a Glock, or shot Glocks that much, so I can only answer the questions you pose, for Sigs.

Ease of Opearting Gun

The DAK action is very simple, load the gun and shoot, on safeties, no levers, just like a Glock, but a longer trigger pull, making it safer and a more consistent pull.

Reliability
Sig's motto is "To hell and back reliability", and if you've seen the video, I don't need to explain any further.

Accuracy
Homeland security and various police agencies use it, but I am sure Glock does well in this area too.

Recoil
Less than that of a Glock, Sigs are stainless slide, alloy frame so they absorb recoil more than polymer Glocks.

(Magazine Capicity)
Pretty decent with Sigs - 226 standard magazines take 12 rounds of .40 S&W, 229s - 10 or 12 rounds of .40, 239 which is much smaller has a capacity of 7 or 8 rounds of 9mm.

Ease of Maintance
Stripping Sigs to cleaning is very easy, I clean my Sig everytime I shoot, but Sigs have been tested to perform flawless even after thousands of rounds have been put through them, without cleaning.

Concealment
This is where Glock might take it. Sigs don't come in sizes as small as some Glocks (27, etc.) do. Dfritz and I are 6 ft tall and medium framed individuals and we both carry full size Sigs so that is not an issue for us, but if someone wants a sub compact carry piece, then Glock offers more options.

Varity of Ammo ( how good they are with different Brand Ammo - performance)
I carry 'good' ammo (Federal Hydrashok 230 gr. HPs) and shoot Winchester white box which is also good, clean stuff, but have shot Russian made wolf which wasn't that great in quality and have heard countless stories of Sigs shooting the crappiest of ammo with ease.

Hope this helps, my friend, and don't miss out on trying guns at the range before you make a decision. That will be money well spent.

-Naren

dgun
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dgun » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:09 am

Hi Naren,

Thanks a lot

I know TOPGUN RANGE as they are only 3 Miles form my Place.

Also right now if am just doing some Homework before spending big chunk of money on any gun

I am afraid of trying nay gun now cause I have Just Dislocated my Right Shoulder (I am Right Handed) while SKY DIVING (Parachuting) & going through RE HAB. I dislocated my Shoulder at 6000 ft in the mid Air after Opening my Parachute (I jump from 14000 feet); some how I manage to control my flight & Crash Landed.

Well I am going to Top Gun this Friday after Work for more info

Thanks for your help

Dgun