HANDGUN

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
penpusher

Re: HANDGUN

Post by penpusher » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Deepak,

Now you know.Dry firing any firearm is not recommended.Dry firing a rimfire, can potentially damage/break the firing pin or, as in your case,the firearm itself.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Lawman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lawman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:10 am

So, learn driving before buying a car... :-D

Lawman

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:11 pm

If I'm not mistaken IOFB clearly mentions in the manual not to dry fire it. Most rim fires (revos) should not be dry fired, as mentioned here.

AMK
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------

hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Sat May 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi Deepak, hope you had a talk to Mr.B... may be you called him up today. best of luck for your PPK/L. if its new as you stated to Mr.B.. just go for it.
HK,

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Sun May 04, 2008 8:57 am

All the 22 Rim fire ammo if dry fired spoils the chamber since the firing pin strikes on the body of the chamber resulting in dents which creates problems later on in the loading or ejection of the ammos. So for dry fire reason you just cannot blame IOF you will find this problem with every 22 weapons that feed Rim fire ammo.

May be they copied the wrong design. I had recently posted the picture of the 22 Hi standard Revolver. Something very nice about it is the design of the chamber. The firing pin does not hit the body in case of dry firing.So you won't get a dent on the body as pointed out by Hock Ann I'll see if I can post a picture.

If you can see the chamber has these little spaces on the right side where the hammer strikes...had these design been incorporated I doubt the problem with dry firing as faced by users now would not have arisen.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun May 04, 2008 11:18 am

That's one way of controlling the problem. The other way is by carefully controlling the amount of firing pin protrusion, usually neglected in mass production. But that is so common a problem with rimfires, though easily enough repaired, that Brownells sells a tool to iron out .22 RF chambers. Anyone with a lathe, a torch, and a file or grinding wheel can easily enough make a suitable tool. It should really be no problem for any gunsmith to fix the problem. Cheers.
Last edited by TwoRivers on Sun May 04, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Sun May 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi AC, unique pic indeed never seen any or heard about :o , neither in the Gun digest that I have gone through till now, there might be others also who make the similar models with a cut on the cylinder for dry-fire lovers anyway one more advice woun't be bad enough if 22 owners load empty shells before dry-fire.
May be IOF should see the pic & modify their product too.
HK,

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Sun May 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Dry firing "..........it always hurts.

As a kid I remember my Dad would never let me dry fire a gun. The example he often quoted was ...u coming down the stairs thinking there is another step to take when there is none. What happens...ur body gets a shock and u fall ...in the same way the firing pin has to hit and stop.When there is no cartridge in the chamber the same thing happens...instead of stopping the firing pin virtually stretches it self and breaks. So never never fire a empty gun ..if u want to always put the dummy cartridge in the chamber. The lesson is still so fresh in my mind that I never let anyone fire an empty gun.Strange it may sound but Dad never fired a gun all his life :D

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Mon May 12, 2008 12:46 am

Hi ,art_collector , Thanks for that lesson on DRY firing concept ,Just curious to understand , In case you are handling a pump action gun say five bullets in tubelar chamber with lower ejection like ETHACA or REM 10 and you pump and fire one after another and when last i.e fifth bullet is fired and for ejection of that last empty round , it is to be pumped which ejects the last round and simultaneously cocks the gun , being internal hammer ,the only option left is to dry-fire to release the gun. THE result is every time the gun is fired , it is to be freed by dry firing . cheers JAMES..........

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Mon May 12, 2008 4:38 am

u can just put one empty shell and press the trigger.just leave the shell inside :)

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon May 12, 2008 8:04 am

Dry firing problem is mostly confined to a rim fire arms. Most center fire handguns can take the punishment, I wouldn't dry fire a revolver that often though as there are quite a few parts that may be effected such as the cylinder hand, cylinder stop etc besides the firing pin and the hammer. Not counting the very visible draw line on the cylinder of the revolver. A dummy is certainly a good bet against all this.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri May 30, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi Deepak,

As others have pointed out, the choice of which gun to buy is very subjective - depending on intended use and budget as well as personal taste.

However, if you take the time to get enough info on the pros and cons - you'll be better prepared to make an informed choice. As has been pointed out earlier the .25ACP is not a good choice for self defence, it makes LESS power than even a .22 LR and the ammo is not always easy to source besides being expensive!

If I were you I'd honestly not even consider any of the auto-pistols you have listed (not at those prices) I would either buy the Webley, even though at 3L it is slightly on the expensive side (but maybe you can bargain a bit) OR (as other's have pointed out) I would simply purchase an IOF .32 revolver and spend the rest of the money on ammunition for practice!

Do keep in mind that simply buying a gun does not help you very much in terms of self defence. You need to be able to put it to effective use. A gun in the hand of someone who is not properly trained to use it, is a more of a liability than an asset for himself and those around him. For this you need to practice, so put aside a portion of your budget towards ammo and shooting range costs.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein