Seeking info to purchase a new pistol/revolver (BOUGHT IT )

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Seeking info to purchase a new pistol/revolver (BOUGHT IT )

Post by amk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi folks,

As some may have seen in the wanted section, I'm in the market for a new pistol or revolver; .22 or .32. I will be shooting at least 500 (maybe even 1000) rounds a year from this new gun.

I have been offered snubbie and 3" S&Ws but quite pricey, 4.50 to 5, very good condition. .32 and .22.
A snubbie Astra revo in .32 for 3.75ish.
Unique 10 rd mag pistol in .32. for 3.50ish.
An engraved Astra .32 pistol for 4ish.

A friend has a H&R revolver in .32 which he wants to sell. What are these like and if in good condition what should the price be like? Worth buying if the price is right?

Or should I just save the cash and go for the IOF stuff? A problem being that no dealers here are selling the IOF stuff and I don't want to buy brand new, wait 6 months and tied in to 5 year contracts.

Suggestions please. Oh, and if anyone want to sell me their IOF stuff please contact me (sorry for contradicting my own de.scription)

AMK
Last edited by amk on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Seeking info to purchase a new pistol/revolver

Post by indian » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:38 pm

amk,

H&R Revolvers are mostly chambered for the .32 short and dont command a hefty price.a relative of mine recently sold his H&R for Rs 50,000..32 short is maufactured by the IOF but i never came across them with dealers.spending 4L on a S&W would definitely be better than 3.5-4.0L on astras.the IOF would be a good deal even with 5 year lockup as it comes with one year warranty and problems if any,would prop up in the first year(as you would be firing more than 500 rounds).i would strictly avoid the IOFB .22 revolver as expensive phoren eley rounds dont make plinking enjoyable.just a personal opinion.

cheers
Ravi teja. :)

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:19 am

Avoid the .22 if its for protection and get a .32 revolver, which would be more suited for IOF ammo (no jams in a self-defense situation).

Checkout the following links for tips on buying used:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=57816
and
http://www.chuckhawks.com/used_handgun.htm which includes pistols.

Good luck with your hunt Amk, hope you find something good soon!

Best,
Ram

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Guys, found some more guns. A charter arms 2" in .32 which looks like a s&w copy. Will need rebluing though. A bernardelli in .22. Looks good, can i use high velocity ammo in this? FN which is superb in .32. A 2002 ashani which is at 1.5. Llama .32 too. I'm confused. Will the bernardelli .22 be easy to sell off when I'm done?
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Charter arms is a lesser known brand and should command lower price compared to Colt and SW as but are equally good. Its also important to bear in mind whether you want to pick up a 40 year old or a 20 year old gun or revolver which has lesser moving parts? In that context Charter arms revolver is better. So do conduct some research on the serial numbers of your other choices to asses their age and year of manufacture. Rest its all about your budget, condition of the gun and interest.

Best
Last edited by Sakobav on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:01 pm

amk";p="64123 wrote: . A charter arms 2" in .32
A bernardelli in .22.
Price range?
Is the Charter arms revolver a magnum .32 ?
amk";p="64123 wrote: A 2002 ashani which is at 1.5.
Shocking !!!

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:18 pm

The charter arms is half the price of s&w revos. Colt revos are even more than smiths. Don't know if magnum can be used in this. The bern .22 is for 3.9. Cheap rounds means more practice but will indian ammo feed and cycle reliably? And can high velo ammo be used in this? If no then the ashani and charter arms seem to offer the best value for money? Ok whats the velocity difference between the sw .32 long and the .32 acp, does it make a big difference? And is the .22 almost as effective as the long. One aim to get my second gun is also deep concealment, like jeans pocket or ankle. Thanks all, please keep the advice flowing.
AMK
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Bernardelli .22 for approx 4L is very expensive !! It might have feeding/chambering problems too .

Charter arms have made .32 both in S&W Long and H&R Magnum. I would rather consider it more favourably if the condition is excellent.

best,

RP
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:45 pm

what would the bern be worth in your opinion? The charter may not be in mag and the finish is not good, needs rebluing.
AMK

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 pm

amk,

how much is the charter revolver priced at?? 3.9L for a .22 pistol sounds too much for me.how about a llama for that price.

cheers :)

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:00 pm

I agree with Indian for the .22 pistols you would need imported ammo even my Browning buckmark shoots better with certain ammo.

Best

nm
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by nm » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:04 am

amk";p="64131 wrote: The charter arms is half the price of s&w revos.
If one of the aims is deep concealment.....2 inch snubbie would be an ideal choice......

Go in for the charter arms 2" .32 snubbie revolver.....blueing can be redone.....its a good price....for this price, I would go for it.....

Nishant

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:16 am

I sold my IOF pistol and did lot of survey in Indian market and fired almost every pistol including Walther ppk ,pp , unique , mauser HSC , colt US Property, Astra constable , cz 50 ,70 , baretta 1934, baretta 70 , cz 83 , Llama ect all were .32 .
I selected Llama Especial with grip safety , this pistol is really easy to feildstrip, very simple 1911 design ,value for money under Indian market condictions ,magazine reloading is easy, trigger is smooth ,pistol is small and really thin , steel body but lowest weight in the lot, drop down magazine feature permits extended 12 shot magazine adaptaility ,50 rounds fired before purchase and all were up to mark , no jams as of now,really beautiful and last but not the least it looks like colt 1911 younger brother .
I will post pictures soon . cheers James

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:30 am

The older Spanish pistols are considered to be of inconsistent quality and made with soft steel.

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:40 am

Hi, penpusher , I do agree with you , lot of issues are there with old spanish stuff , you really need to feild strip completly and inspect every thing and do test fire as much as you can and deside ,some pieces are really good and at last when every possible check is done luck plays a really big role .
I am satisfied with my Llama especial . James..