How does the lockwork on a Walther PPk function?

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

How does the lockwork on a Walther PPk function?

Post by amk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 pm

As the subject states. Specifically, how do the safety and decocking functions work and what are the steps to take to decock?

AMK

For Advertising mail webmaster
sunilssn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: How does the lockwork on a Walther PPk function?

Post by sunilssn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi,
There wasproblem with safety mechanism of walther and after releasing safety it fired and the company replaced the mechanism free of cost after it was notified. Pl. check with proper care.

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:47 pm

But how do you decock a cocked hammer? What is supposed to happen when you apply the safety on a cocked hammer and what happens when you disengage the safety?

AMK

orieng
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by orieng » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:26 am

go to youtube.com, than type walther ppk review and click on the first link that appears. The video should clarify your queries.

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 am

Amk,

Once you pull back on the slide, the gun is loaded and the hammer is cocked.To decock the hammer, turn the safety lever from the firing position to safe position.This will decock the hammer.The hammer does not hit the firing pin.

If the hammer is not decocking or the gun is not firing, then there is a problem with your trigger guard.It is not set in the right slot.Field strip the gun and this will set things right.

Heres a video which might help.

[youtube][/youtube]

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Thanks fellas. I'll check it out the videos.

It's not that the hammer is not decocking or there's some other problem. The issue is that I'm not too familiar with the decocking mechanisms and Walther type safeties, DA/SA type triggers. I'm only used to the 1911A1 pattern safeties and lockwork and the FN browning types to an extent. I'm checking out a .22 today and wanted to function check it thoroughly.

AMK

-- Thu Mar 19, 2009 18:39 --

Checked out the real piece instead of videos and it all functions perfectly well :D

AMK

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:01 am

amk,
Once you decock the hammer of a PPK by engaging the safety, the pistol stays with a cartridge loaded in the chamber, but one should disengage the safety to FIRE position again and pull the trigger ( double action) to fire. Or else cock the hammer manually to fire. How ever it is advised that one should control the lowering of the hammer with the thumb as well since the "hammer block" that shields the firing pin may crystallize on hammer impacting on it (Metal fatigue) depending on the age of the particular pistol. I personally go through this drill only after making sure the mag is out and the chamber is empty.(strictly in that order). I have witnessed an incidence where a person raked the pistol slide to check if the chamber was empty and then removed the loaded clip not realizing that the returning slide had loaded the chamber with a live round. Fortunately there were a few of us around who politely drew his attention to the situation thus saving his embarrassment as well as preventing a disaster from happening.
BTW, PPK and its varient is a possession to be proud of. BUT get totally familiar with any side arm you own before you decide to carry it on regular bases.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:14 pm

I almost never carry my pistol chambered but every night when I return I religiously follow this routine.

Remove the mag; rack the slide a couple of times, observe the chamber visually; point to a safe direction and pull the trigger.

With the PPK I MAY be comfortable carrying with one in the chamber, after decocking. Can the safety be applied after decocking? So to shoot you just need to disengage safety and pull the DA trigger. Is it possible?

AMK

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:13 pm

amk,
The PPK pistol won't fire either D.A. or any other way when the safety is on. As simple as that. If the hammer is dropped by applying the safety, the trigger will stay back till the safety is worked to off position again.. thus giving you a choice to fire D.A. or by manually cocking the hammer.
Marksman

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:39 pm

So the safety can be applied (set to safe) after decocking right?

AMK

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:05 pm

amk: Applying the safety decocks the hammer. Returning the safety to the "Fire" position readies the pistol again to fire double action, you cannot cock the hammer manually when the safety is on "Safe". Cheers.

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks. So one can apply the safety (safety on) when the hammer is down (decocked)?

AMK

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

amk: YES. Cheers.