Beretta .25 acp experience

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Beretta .25 acp experience

Post by The Doc » Fri May 29, 2009 12:50 pm

Gentlemen,

Does anyone here own or shoot or has shot with a Beretta .25 acp ( or even .22lr) models 950 B or Jetfire or Bobcat ?

1. How is the experience with the "tip up" barrel ? Any disadvantages?

2. Does the slide bite the 1st web space of the shooting hand ?

best,

R.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

For Advertising mail webmaster
HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Beretta .25 acp experience

Post by HSharief » Fri May 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Recoil is "BAD", imagine a cracker going off in your fist. Maybe it can be better with some soft rubber grips. I like the tip up barrel as it will be simpler to clean. I like all Berettas.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun May 31, 2009 12:52 am

Wouldn't call it pleasant to shoot, as Sharief has pointed out. No small, short-barrelled, pistol is. regardless of caliber. Tip-up barrel makes it easy to clean, and there is no disadvantage. As to whether it will bite the web of your hand, that depends strictly on the size and shape of your hand, and how you hold the gun, only your identical twin would be able to advise you. Cheers.

-- Sat May 30, 2009 9:27 --

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun May 31, 2009 5:02 am

Doc

Just found out a relative of mine has one - a family heirloom. It seems the he very rarely fires it due to expensive ammo and was wishing he had brought his lic along to US so that he could have take back some ammo.

best

zdb911
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by zdb911 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:37 pm

I have a 950B .25 which i recently picked up from a friend. It is a lovely weapon and i am very happy with it. IMHO there is no disadvantage with the tip up barrel. Infact, it makes the gun easier to clean. Further, i have had no experience of the slide biting the web of the shooting hand. There is definite recoil for sure, as is the case with most short barrel guns. Apart from that, it seems to be a lovely weapon.

Cheers

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:09 am

I have one in .22 short. Recoil? What recoil?

The one that I have is about 40 years old or more. It is fun to shoot and I was surprised that it would group pretty well at 10 yards. The sights are hard to see as they are black and the rear sight is just a notch. In low light situations against a black bullseye, I have a really hard time seeing the sights. If you hold it properly and don't cross your thumbs, you should have no problems with slide bite. I don't mind the tip-up barrel either; It makes it easy to unload the gun and clean the barrel. Since the one that I have was manufactured before American society got really litigious, the trigger is quite good. Of course, if you're going to shoot a bad guy with a .22 short, you'd better make sure you have your Nike's on as you will be running away. I did shoot a rabbit with it once. The rabbit expired on the spot but I think it suffered a heart attack because I didn't find an entry or exit wound.

My friend has a newer Beretta in .25 ACP that I have fired. It does have recoil but its not significant. After shooting .357 Mag out of a little S&W Scandium snubby or .50AE in a Desert Eagle, then when one complains about recoil, people nod their heads and sympathize. I don't intend to offend anyone here but I, personally, wouldn't tell anyone that I think .25ACP has recoil as I would never hear the end of it. Most of the guys who go to the range with me would probably tease me about it for the next twenty years. The newer Beretta has the same problem with substandard sights but it isn't meant to be a target shooting gun. On this one, the trigger is absolutely horrible. It takes a lot of force to squeeze the trigger all the way back. Accuracy at 7 yds was bad but I think a lot of that was due to the trigger.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:03 am

OT
Another .25 albeit a rare one

Haenal Schmeisser
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20allemand ... r%20gb.htm

Per Wikipedia
Maurice Bavaud bought this gun to assassinate Hitler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Bavaud
On October 9, 1938, Bavaud travelled from Brittany to Baden-Baden, then on to Basel, where he bought a Schmeisser 6.35 mm (.25 ACP) semi-automatic pistol, and finally to Berlin. Upon arriving in Berlin, Bavaud discovered that Hitler was at Berchtesgaden, and travelled there.