Life span of Glock Spares/Springs

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Life span of Glock Spares/Springs

Post by tingriman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Dear members

Glocks are quite strong as far as their design is concerned. They are less confusing with no manual safety and have a fewer parts in comparison to the other modern handguns. Irrespective of this the normal wear and tears of the springs depending upon the frequency of use exists in every make of modern weapon. I just want to know if any of members has any experience in this regard. I mean what is the normal life span of springs of pistol and that of magazine? I think the life of magazine spring can be increased by under loading (may be two rounds less than the certified capacity of magazine), but what about the life of springs of handgun? Please share your thoughts and experience

cheers
tingriman

For Advertising mail webmaster
HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Life span of Glock Spares/Springs

Post by HSharief » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:13 pm

My glock has about a thousand rounds thru it and looks and feels like new. Look up some information on Glocktalk or the IDPA, or IPSC or USPSC forums and you'll get some real answers from people who put in thousands of rounds thru. Also google for Glock torture test and you'll see more stuff.

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:08 am

As it is impossible to get polymer pistol in India due to import ban , Just for sake of information where polymer pistol like Glock or Taurus millenium stands against conventional meatal /steel pistol. What is real advantage over steel pistol. FEEDBACK is requested.
cheers,
James...

tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tingriman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:11 pm

james wrote:As it is impossible to get polymer pistol in India due to import ban , Just for sake of information where polymer pistol like Glock or Taurus millenium stands against conventional meatal /steel pistol. What is real advantage over steel pistol. FEEDBACK is requested.
cheers,
James...
James

As far as the advantages of polymer frame is concern there are various benefits as these polymer frame pistols are corrosion resistant, tougher than steel and still 86% lighter, no rust, neutral to salt and some of the chemicals that are generally found in atmosphere. Maybe other members can add to the list.

cheers

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:55 am

In my opinion, the main advantage of polymer guns as mentioned is they weigh less and corrosion is less an issue. They are also bulkier in general.

I don't own one, and never have, but that is just me.

In regards to springs, modern springs are pretty reliable. Actually, any spring less than 100 years old is most likely pretty reliable. Spares are always a good thing but sometimes I question the frequency at which some people change them. I fired probably 5000 (geez, it is probably more as that is only 100 courses of fire @50 rounds) rounds of 45acp without changing springs and the gun shot just as accurately when I sold it as it did when I put a heavier spring in it when building it up initially.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:34 pm

In case of scratches steel pistol can be buffed and forsay effective bluing can really make 30 or 40 years old steel firmarm looks new , what about these polymer pistols ,under practical condiction they will fade and get scratches ,is there any wayout or are they made to look ugly or are these pistol are use and throw type.
Cheers ,
James...

tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tingriman » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:17 pm

james wrote:In case of scratches steel pistol can be buffed and forsay effective bluing can really make 30 or 40 years old steel firmarm looks new , what about these polymer pistols ,under practical condiction they will fade and get scratches ,is there any wayout or are they made to look ugly or are these pistol are use and throw type.
Cheers ,
James...
The tennifer coating which actually penetrates the steel a few thousandths of an inch and is done to prolong the life. The polymer frame are long lasting like that of steel, they are not use and throw type. Glocks can withstand the temprature range of -40F to 392F. You might have seen the 84 FS/81 FS, they basically are forged aluminum frames. (Now you may say, that alluminum is very weak and prone to easy damage :D , but is is not :o )

cheers
tingriman
Last edited by tingriman on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:16 am

Tingriman, polymer cannot be parkerised. It is a surface treatment for steel and wont even work on non-ferrous metals leave alone plastic.

tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tingriman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Mack The Knife Bana wrote:Tingriman, polymer cannot be parkerised. It is a surface treatment for steel and wont even work on non-ferrous metals leave alone plastic.
My bad,

Thank you Mack the knife for correcting me!

I have edited the pervious post

error regretted

tingriman