.32 I.O.F Revolver vs .32 ASHANI Pistol

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
surgeon
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

.32 I.O.F Revolver vs .32 ASHANI Pistol

Post by surgeon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi friends,
Am a new member of this forum & I have recently obtained a fire-arm license for Revolver / Pistol NPB and want to purchase either of it. Ofcourse I'll have to opt for an indigenous weapon as my pocket doen't allow me to buy a s&w. Some of my friends as well as some of the gunsmiths I met are not happy with Ashani as it often gets blocked and the magazine design is faulty (even the gunaccessory.com also posts the same review) Also, I have gone thru the previous posts by denzil, cherian n Mack The Knife but there are discussions on the individual pistol or revolver. I couldn't find any comparison b/w these two. Although, most of the shooters also suggest me to go for .32 IOF Revolver (kanpur made), however, I feel, the get up of the Pistol is more attractive than the revolver. So I request the 'Gun-Gurus' here to guide me.

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: .32 I.O.F Revolver vs .32 ASHANI Pistol

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:34 pm

surgeon wrote:Hi friends,
Am a new member of this forum & I have recently obtained a fire-arm license for Revolver / Pistol NPB and want to purchase either of it. Ofcourse I'll have to opt for an indigenous weapon as my pocket doen't allow me to buy a s&w. Some of my friends as well as some of the gunsmiths I met are not happy with Ashani as it often gets blocked and the magazine design is faulty (even the gunaccessory.com also posts the same review) Also, I have gone thru the previous posts by denzil, cherian n Mack The Knife but there are discussions on the individual pistol or revolver. I couldn't find any comparison b/w these two. Although, most of the shooters also suggest me to go for .32 IOF Revolver (kanpur made), however, I feel, the get up of the Pistol is more attractive than the revolver. So I request the 'Gun-Gurus' here to guide me.
Hi Surgeon,

While I'm no fan of IOF's calp-trap products, currently they offer the best value for your money.

Both guns you mention are the result of the time-warp mindset that the folks at IOF choose to remain in... absolutely obsolete!

Go for the IOF revolver if you want a relatively trouble free start up in owning a gun - It is the better of two evils. ;)

As for the Ashani (.32 Pistol), if you don't mind spending a wee bit more with a gunsmith tune-up, it should be ok and it'll satisfy your like for the Pistol design.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:56 pm

I generally like pistols for they are more concealable , more bullets capacity . But if its IOF pistol or revolver, then i would vote for revolver since its more rugged , reliable and IMHO it looks better than Ashani.
Cheers
MSandhu

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Whatever you feel comfortable with , Pistol is purely dependent on quality of ammo and design of weapon, Revolver is machanical and much pereferred under self defence situation where practice is non practical activity , above all its your choise whether you would like to leave empty brass or not. :) James....

surgeon
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by surgeon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. Can anybody throw some light whether the new IOF .32 revolver comes with a side swing
cylinder or its the same old break open design. Which is better?
Is it fitted with a laser? I think the laser sight can not be fitted on the break open model.

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:12 am

IOF revolvers comes only as break open models. i think you can put laser on grip. if you can find one.
Cheers
MSandhu

saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by saahil » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:16 am

iof.32 rev is still having break open design.thats the only design they have so there is no question of having a choice between break open or swinging cylinder.no they dont come with laser. and between chossing a rev or pistol my vote goes to pistol.reason behind it is that in most of the cases we fight till the last drop of blood to get a license then why not enjoy it to the fullest by watching shells ejecting.

Lawman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lawman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:20 am

Well said Saahil.

Lawman

surgeon
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by surgeon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:19 pm

Whats the waiting period for revolver at kanpur and pistol at cossipore? Recently a friend of my friend bought a new .32
revolver from Ambernath after waiting for abt 3 months. I asked him on phone whether its Mark 1 or 3, but he didnt know. Even the
official IOF website also doesnt mention. How to find it out?

saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by saahil » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:32 pm

you can get a rev from kanpur in within two months,for pistol you have to wait for more than eight months.

Ticky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ticky » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:28 am

Saahil!

I am guessing that you own IOF's .32 Ashani Pistol. How has your experience with it been so far?

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:06 am

Ticky

Little search on this forum can yield your answer

Best

saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by saahil » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:27 pm

today i have been to pushkar,there at pushkar valley i emptied two full magazines without a single jam.what else one can expect from iof products.bache ki jaan loge kya. :lol:

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:49 pm

Sahil Bhai,
:agree: I had a Revolver and shifted to a pistol and i am satisfied.
Although the rev was 0.22 IOF and the pistol is 0.32 but not Ashani
Regards
Happy

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:01 am

Happy

Safe move and good riddance of that IOF .22

Best