.32 S & W model 31-1 in good condition - advise needed...

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: .32 S & W model 31-1 in good condition - advise needed...

Post by Vineet » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 pm

weapon247, Import of weapons, for civilians, in India is banned since 1986 therefor the weapons those were imported prior to 1986 command very high price here in India. Also the reason for high price of imported weapons is that there are very limited options for one to buy Indian weapons (infact we have only one type of revolver and a pistol to choose from) and that too of not very good quality.

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Before going for "foreign" or IOF make firearms following points need to be taken care of:

Foreign firearm:
1) Price very high compared to real worth.
2) Manufacture not later than 1986(if actually genuine/legal).
3) No certainty that it has not been repaired.
4) No certainty that it will work 100% reliably as intended.
5) No certainty whether it is really genuine as claimed( I had read news report somewhere on internet, that copies of "foreign" made handguns are made in illegal factories and pushed in legal market since craze/price of "foreign" handguns is very high.
6) Finish might be good to look "attractive"

IOF firearm:
1) Price much lesser, compared to price of "foreign" firearms.
2) Can get brand new product from IOF.
3) If you buy from IOF, it is certain that it has not been repaired.
4) Works as reliably as any other firearm.
5) If you buy from IOF, it is certain that it is genuine.
6) Finish might not be good to look "attractive"

In the present situation, considering the above points , if I have to buy a firearm, rather than going for a "foreign" made firearm, I will go for an IOF product at a lesser price and invest rest of the money somewhere else.
Last edited by goodboy_mentor on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by brar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:39 pm

:agree:
, I will go for an IOF product at a lesser price and invest rest of the money somewhere else.[/quote]
pahilan kise nu kuj kahi da ni _/\_
je panga pai jave fer piche rahi da ni

joydeepm
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by joydeepm » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:35 pm

It is a horrendously obscene price for a very commonly available revolver . Greed knows no bounds it seems .
If you want to shoot , shoot . Don't talk .....

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:54 pm

It is a horrendously obscene price for a very commonly available revolver . Greed knows no bounds it seems .
Yes it is, I presume it was intentionally done by the central government in 1986, with motives not disclosed, citing "terrorism" in Punjab as excuse. It is a known fact that terrorists/criminals smuggle in PB bore weapons and are not stupid enough to legally import NPB bore weapons after acquiring firearms licenses. The "real" reason behind ban on import of firearms seems something else. If import of firearms is not allowed, IOF has the monopoly to decide the the type, price and quality of weapons it sells. Government can keep employees of IOF employed. If imports are allowed IOF will have to face competition.

joydeepm
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by joydeepm » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:48 am

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:03 am

Well i been quoted more insane prices after negotiations for weapons supposedly NIB but not really what id say NIB yes in box but used and box has survived. lol ...GOOD condition 2 inch j frame snubbies for 5.38 and 5.25 lakkhs and for 3 inch 5.0 so what to do.. this too like real estate has become the Fire Arm Dealer NEXUS. Just wish the import ban could be lifted. Arent we a freer economy now.. why just firearms be restricted and these are for people with legal licenses the bad guys still get 9mm berettas and glocks at 100000 rs or less some cases .. if i dont wanna be law abiding i can still buy em. point being bad guys will have guns .. good guys be restricted safety compromised or will have poorer inferior weapons. Amen to our leader politicos and IAS babus.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 am

I agree. I believe opinion of Jayanta Mukherjee makes some sense at http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=82

I feel we are also to be blamed for this sorry state of affairs. Remember not a single person in this country had the courage to speak against, nor had the foresight to see the actual motive of the government and subsequent consequences of import ban for licensed firearms in 1986. Everyone without using any logic, was singing the song of the government for the fear of being branded "anti-national".

"Moral cowardice that keeps us from speaking our minds is as dangerous to this country as irresponsible talk. The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character." -Margaret Chase Smith

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:42 pm

That means my snubbie will still cost me 5.0....... Damn it... why do we pay more for cars , bikes and weapons .. at least twice the price the world pays.. and we are a poor / developing country. our systems and politicos are robbing us. why i pay the same money people pay for a C class merc in the rest of the world and i get a Honda civic for the same money or an Yamaha R1 costs approx 10000 USD and costs a whopping 11.5 lakhs hers. Am i not entitled to a good life and good consumer products or machinery . Am i cursed cuz i m an indian.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

ssmickey.32
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ssmickey.32 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Hello friends,
One more attempt at .32 bore Smith & Wesson Model 31-1. This Revolver is comparatively in much better condition. I have taken the pics given below for your reference. Kindly let me know if it's a genuine Revolver.

Specifically i want to know one thing. in Image -01/02/08, you can see a 'through & through HOLE' in Hammer behind firing pin. Is it okay or do we have any rivet there. Please clear my doubt.

Image -01
Image -02
Image -03
Image -04
Image -05
Image -06
Image By ImageHousing.com
Image -07
Image By ImageHousing.com
Image -08

This Revolver is manufactured in 1983 & is .32 Regulation Police. I think I have layed my hands on pretty good piece just need clearance of my friends here. I have taken some time from the dealer. It is for Rs. 4.15L.

Please suggest.

Kind regards

ssmickey.32
When the power of love overcomes the love of power - the world will know peace.

lionheartguru
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by lionheartguru » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:14 am

boss 4.5L is too much that

i had seen a similar one long back for some 3.5Lnegotiable
i am not sure if it is still unsold
i will find out and let u know
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

joydeepm
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by joydeepm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Vineet ,

If money is not an issue with you - go ahead by all means and spend 4 lacs on a handgun . Please remember however that in U.S , these guns - NEW- go for lower than 400 dollars - 20 thousand bucks .

The IOF revolver is not as bad as it has been made out to be . it does its job , as efficiently as the 30 year old SW . Yes , SW has a snob value and in UP marriage parties , I guess people compare guns a la "mine is bigger/better than yours " style and there , carrying around the IOF may be embarrassing . 8)

I agonised over a decision to buy a mauser/beretta /colt and then settled on the IOF Ashani as I finally decided to wait for the day imports open up ( I am terribly optimistic , I know ). Spent some money and got it tweaked and modified by a very competent gunsmith in Patiala and have put 230 rounds thru it till now . No jams - pretty accurate. The same guy does a wonderful job on the revolver too . You may like to check out the pics .

-- Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:48 pm --

Sorry missed out the pics . The post was also addressed to mickey and not Vineet . My apologies . :oops: :oops:

roughplayer
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by roughplayer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Contact Ankit Dhawan he has got some good pieces of S&W, CZ, Webley and he can tell u the best price.

doc_brar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by doc_brar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:29 pm

joydeepm, sorry to go out of topic, can you please tell me what does bobby sidhu charge for that revolver job?

brijendra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by brijendra » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:02 pm

you will get s&w .32 in lucknow for 3 lacs approx. where r u located ?
DARWIN said " survival of the fittest "
I say " survival of the armed ones "