A very special Hi Power

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

A very special Hi Power

Post by xl_target » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Here is a Browning Hi Power offered for sale. It was liberated during Ww2 by Major Dick Winters, the CO of Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 4th Brigade combat team of the 101st Airborne Division (a.k.a. The Screaming Eagles)
If you're a student of Military History and you're not sure who Dick Winters is, you should read:
or watch the miniseries of the same name. It is not so much a war movie as it is an experience.

and see this website:
http://www.majordickwinters.com/

The gun is offered for a mere $7,995 (Ouch!).
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info. ... 3c606e5fa4
Last edited by xl_target on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: A very special Hi Power

Post by MoA » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Gun no linky... :?

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:18 pm

Sorry! Link is fixed now.
The gun is nothing that special. It's just a Nazi proofed Hi Power. The provenance is what is driving the price.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:27 am

Xl_target

I loved the series and that calm collective Dick Winters. How he preferred Garand M1 to other lighter rifle..he had enough of war trained other officers but never volunteered again.

This Hi Power should be worth something

Best

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 am

Ngrewal, like you I loved the series too. I think Dick used the M1 as it was the issued main battle rifle of the US army at the time. M2 carbines were issued to paratroopers too but maybe not to his unit? I think a lot of those guys who saw a lot of action in Ww2 just wanted to get on with their lives after the war. The US also massively downsized the army after the war. I believe Dick Winter was offered a position in the post war army but his job offer from Nix (Nixon) was probably better for him.

Dick Winter and Easy Company's assault on the four gun battery near Normandy is still taught (in the US army) as the classic example of a small unit assault on an entrenched defensive position.