RFI Brass Signal Pistol 1918

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
AlanDavid
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

RFI Brass Signal Pistol 1918

Post by AlanDavid » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Hello Everyone

First post on this forum.

I am writting a book on British & Commonwealth military signal pistols. I have been sent a photo of a No1 Mk111* signal pistol made by the Rifle Factory Ishapore in 1918. Only two examples of this RFI made signal pistol are known to me, both dated 1918. Does any one else in India have an example they could post details of on this forum, I am especially keen to get serial numbers.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
Australia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
AlanDavid
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: RFI Brass Signal Pistol 1918

Post by AlanDavid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Bump

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:31 pm

:cry: sorry

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Sorry for the late reply on this.In India,the govt rarely if ever sells govt property to the citizens.I doubt any one in India has one of these out side the security forces holdings.The Indian defence establishment is still steeped in the colonial attitude of denying Indian citizens any sort of information no matter how inconsequential.You would be more likely to get information that you seek from forums based in USA or Uk than here.After all,these seem to have made their way to markets in these countries.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:49 pm

grewal wrote::cry: sorry
Hey Alan,

Didn't know Signal Pistols were a subject large enough for a whole book!

Gimme a day or so- I believe I came across a cabinet full of Very Light Pistols in a police armory. I'll try to photograph them in detail.

Regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

AlanDavid
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AlanDavid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:50 am

Many thanks for the replies.

The two examples that have been brought to my attention are in a colection in the U.S.A. No doubt they were imported at some point.

I have e-mailed and written two leters to two different departments of RFI but never recieved a rely. Therefore this forum is my only hope!

I will be most greatful for any information.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
Australia

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Hey Alan,

As promised, here are the pictures of a bunch of Very Pistols I found in the inventory.

None of them bear any marking other than the serial numbers which are impressed on the lower left of the chamber area and the left front strap of the trigger guard.

These don't appear to be RFI ones, nor are they brass and rather look like generic British staple. But hey, I could be wrong and you are the pro... anyway here are the pictures.

PM me your email ID in case you require high resolution images...and perhaps more information.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Alan,

Even I am a bit amazed that Signal pistols would be a subject matter for a book.

The only brass signal pistol I have seen is VERYS. On the barrel it is mentioned FOR VERYS SIGNAL LIGHTS ONLY. They have a proof mark of V with a crown and CP with a crown.

AC

AlanDavid
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AlanDavid » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 am

Hi CC

It's always interesting looking through 'official' stock piles of small arms - you never know quite what you will find. In this case the pistols are the common No1 Mk5 one inch pistol. These examples would have been made in WW2. They are of a simple sheet metal construction with spot welding.Thank you for he photos.

Hi AC

You have an early -1880's to 1890's- British made signal pistol. It is made of brass or gunmetal and bears London commercial proofs; I will take a guess and say that it will only have a
2 or 3 digit serial number. This style of pistol with spur trigger, is similar to the first patterns adopted by the Royal Navy in the 1880's which were later replaced by the more familiar Webley & Scott style No1 MK 11 and No1 Mk 111 pistols. If it is a military issue example it will have a broad arrow and an inspectors stamp.Thanks for the photos.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:51 am

AlanD wrote:Hi CC
It's always interesting looking through 'official' stock piles of small arms - you never know quite what you will find. In this case the pistols are the common No1 Mk5 one inch pistol. These examples would have been made in WW2. They are of a simple sheet metal construction with spot welding.Thank you for he photos.
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the education- Glad I could pitch in.

These are only from one armoury - When I do have time, I'll check out others as well...Armed Police Battalion armouries in particular...they may have other varieties, since I remember vaguely seeing brassy examples being used for parades when I was much younger.

regards,
cc

AlanD
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AlanD » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Still looking for examples of RFI made signal pistols if anyone has come across one recently.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
Australia