IOF .22 revolver

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:19 am

Don't even think about using CCI hyper velocity ammo. This ammo is notorious for bulged/burst cases in guns with undersized chambers. This (case bulging) used to happen occasionally in a S&W target pistol, I owned in the mid 80's.

Satpal

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: High Velocity Hollow Point Ammo for IOF .22 Revolver ???

Post by TC » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:49 am

I dont know why the news shocked you. I thought this was public knowledge as there has been several accidents with the IOF .22 revolver.
The incident I referred to took place about three years ago in my club. The gentleman was the guest of a fellow member. So I cant really give you his details rtight away. The weapon was from the first batch, he informed us. After about 12 or 15 rounds, one shot went off with an awkward thud. We found the cylinder had moved out of its axis awkwardly to the left and part of the wall had cracked exposing the swollen case. The cartridge was a high velicity one - probably remington or CCI. It was a steel case thats all I can recollect.
Several gun dealers in Kolkata (which is not far from the factory) who placed orders with the Ishapore factory told me that out of the first 120 revolvers supplied to dealers in Pubjab, Harayana and other parts of North India, about 50 had been retured to the factory with complaints or damages. There was no official confirmation on this figure though, for obvious reasons.
The weapon is a copy of the S&W airlight (with a rather stupid safety probably to evade copyright violation) but sadly IOF does not use aircraft grade aluminium but an aluminium alloy which i have heard carries some percentage of nickel that makes the cylinder brittle above the psi it can withstand. Oh ! there is another story why IOF recommends standard Eley. KF cases jam like hell after firing making extraction almost impossible without ramming. I could tell you another story. But lets save it for some other day...

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:34 am

I distinctly remember having read that IOF refuses to repair cracked chamber ( and damaged barrels too ) if they are told that imported ammo was used :shock: ...any imprted ammo. Then go on to suggest not to their own ammo:roll:
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:57 am

Hey every one,,,,,I own a .22 IOF revolver since 2years ,,and fired atleast 500-700 rounds from it,,,,,I Agree that IOF rounds stuck in d chamber after firing(Shell) but elley or other imported brand does not require that much effort to eject the shell,,,IOF had clearly mentioned in the booklet that please use Elley Cartrides Only.. I hav also fired 30 hard nose Baby Mag cartridges ,the wepon is intact ,,,,the only thing i m experiencing is i cannnot shoot 100% on the target as the weapon is very light in weight , As i have observed the chambre there are steel sleaves inside it it is not almunium. if any 1 have suggestions to improve Aim & Ejection plz do PM me.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:29 pm

Badshah,
Your aim is off probably because ,at a sub conscious level, your mind is telling you that the revolver is going to blow up any minute :lol:

penpusher

PS-Have prepared another application under RTI for the OFB :wink:

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:27 pm

mehulkamdar";p="7542 wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading here - an IOF revolver chamber cracked firing 22 lr ammunition? :shock:
Wonder why on earth the IOF folks persist with the aluminium thingy. I mean why bother? Since a factory recall is beyond the IQ and logistical capabilities of the mammoth organization, they should simply make available an after-market steel cylinder. Those interested can purchase these at their descretion.

I mean even big players like H&K make goof ups and are not averse to full free factory recall for parts replacement.

A firearm, being a tool that dribbles on the thin line between life and death, should not be subject to trivial cosmetic folly.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:08 pm

The aluminium cylinder of the IOF .22 revolver is an attempt by the IOF to keep the cost of production down and thus maximize its profit. If somebody gets maimed or dies in the process,so what.

The OFB fixes the price of the firearms and ammo. that it sells in the civilian market, not on the basis of the cost of manufacture.The price is fixed by a Committee on the basis of what it feels the market can absorb.This,it claims is to be used to offset the sale of weapons to the Armed forces on a no profit no loss basis.Considering that the OFB sells the 9mm pistol to the Army for about 15,000/- and the fact that the arms sold in the civilian mkt. attract almost 50% tax, it would mean that the OFB makes atleast 25,000/- on the sale of every .32 pistol/revolver that it sells to us.I am very sure the profit is much higher :evil:

penpusher

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:27 am

Thanks for the suggestion brother,,,but i msure it wont blow off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
penpusher";p="7581 wrote: Badshah,
Your aim is off probably because ,at a sub conscious level, your mind is telling you that the revolver is going to blow up any minute :lol:

penpusher

PS-Have prepared another application under RTI for the OFB :wink:
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:34 am

Badshah,

There are no steel sleeves in the chambers of the IOF .22 revolver.The tiny gap between each chamber precludes that.

penpusher

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:34 pm

Ok this may be close to foolhardiness but I have a question. Will the manufacture of just the cylinder for a revolver be considered synonymous to that of making a firearm under current law? By that, I don't mean any old chap fabricating these components in tool shops. I was thinking more of appropriately licensed firearms makers. It is, after all something of a magazine, and thus, a component not constituting an entire functional firearm. Possible argument against this would be the fact that the cylinder has the structural integrity and characteristics to contain and direct the detionation of the subject ammunition in a manner that would still be considered lethal. If its by law considered only a container for carriage of ammunition (Magazine), then this could be an opening....

I'm sure if third party manufacturer/s were allowed to make after market cylinders, most IOF.22 revolver owners would switch without hesitation. Perhaps a safeguard condition would be the surrender of the aluminium for duly attested destruction.

Hell, the IOF might as well carry out this venture themselves....Wouldn't this be another source of revenue for the IOF?

Any thoughts?

ANy thoughts

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:22 pm

Cottage chese,

Arms Rules 1962,

21. Conversion, repair, text, sale, etc
(1) Where a license is granted in Form IX or Form XI for conversion or repair, but not manufacture, of any category of fire-arms or ammunition, it entitles the licensee to fabricate components or parts for the purpose of conversion or repair of such fire-arms or ammunition but to manufacture such components or parts to be utilized for assembling into complete fire-arms or ammunition of any category which he is not allowed to manufacture.

Hope this answers your question.

penpusher

PS-As far as re-proofing a firearm goes,the attitude of the IOFB is that once a firearm has been proof tested,it does not concern them anymore.If you strictly follow the Arms Act and Rules,no American made firearm can be sold in India as they are not proof tested.This is however not enforced as the IOF does not have the cpacbility to proof test diff. categories of firearms.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:03 pm

penpusher";p="7622 wrote:Cottage chese,

Arms Rules 1962,

21. Conversion, repair, text, sale, etc
(1) Where a license is granted in Form IX or Form XI for conversion or repair, but not manufacture, of any category of fire-arms or ammunition, it entitles the licensee to fabricate components or parts for the purpose of conversion or repair of such fire-arms or ammunition but to manufacture such components or parts to be utilized for assembling into complete fire-arms or ammunition of any category which he is not allowed to manufacture.
Hi penpusher,
Well yes thanks its clear enough, but I wonder how the folks Here actually pull it off.

Any thoughts?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Gandhi ji said "See no evil..." :lol:

penpusher

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:02 pm

penpusher";p="7625 wrote:Gandhi ji said "See no evil..." :lol:

penpusher
HAHAHA Good one :lol:

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:39 pm

By the way, doesn't it seem like the IOF folks got it backwards? I mean it's usually aluminium/alloy frame and steel criticals. Why on earth have they done the opposite? It doesn't make much sense. With an aluminium frame, a more significant mass of the weapon would be easier and quicker and perhaps cheaper to manufacture. Only steel parts would be the barrel tube, cylinder and trigger, hammer, springs, pins.

How does that sound?