FAO TC - regarding Beretta Model 70

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

FAO TC - regarding Beretta Model 70

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:05 pm

Hi TC,

Just saw your reference to the model 70 on the P22 thread and would be grateful if you could give me all the dope on this pistol.

A friend of mine is interested in picking one up and would especially like to have as much information as possible concerning the interchangeable barrels - .22lr and .32 ACP (I assume) in his case.

I would also be grateful if you would direct me to any web links on the subject that you have found to be informative and useful.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: FAO TC - regarding Beretta Model 70

Post by TC » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:03 am

Mack The Knife, the 70 series single action pistols are tough and handy but they do not give you the option to change barrel/caliber between .22/.32 on the same frame. They feed flawlessly (the 32s) and are pretty accurate at sub-25 metre range.

The .32 Mod 70 B series come with all-steel frame and slide while the slightly older pre-1968 version comes with the alloy frame.
The way to identify the B series is simple : the serial number on the left side of the frame has the prefix "B", the all plastic grips dont have any thumbrest and the Beretta crest on the grip is at the top.

There are variations in European models and those shipped to the US. Primarily the alloy models were popular among Americans. There was a .380 version too that was shipped to the US. This had the thumbrest.

The model 70 B has a seven shot magazine, a half cock hammer safety as well as the standard thumb safety above the grip which disconnects the sear. The rear sight is only windage adjustable. The magazine release button is curiously located on the grip - on the left side a little to the lower. It can be operated with the shooting thumb if you have a large palm or with the free hand. Either way the magazine drops out flawlessly. The slide remains open after the last shot and its release lever is on the left side just above the trigger. The ergonomics is flawless. But overall the pistol is a little chubby.
The disassembly lever is on the right side of the frame just ahead of the trigger guard (which is a beauty itself). The entire slide assembly comes off with the barrel, guide rod and recoil spring like the modern 92 series. Overall its a very simple design.
I carry my pistol with a round in chamber, hammer at half cock and safety on. Never had any problem.

Try the following link :

http://www.berettaweb.com/mod_70/mod_70_P5.htm

Also attaching some pictures for your reference.
The .22 pistol in the pix was a version intended for the Olympic level but it did not become that popular in the circuit.

I hope this will help.

Tell your friend its a very good choice but in India the price could be in the range of 2.5 - 3.5 lakh depending on condition/ accessories because the deales too know its worth.

Cheers

TC

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:50 am

Hi Tc!,
can u give details for .22(full Alloy,Dont know the Model.)exactly Similer to .380 mod 70s lookwise.(only difference in grip-in .22 without thumb rest something like .32)
what should be the price in India for that pistol.if in good condition ?i am planning to buy one.Dealer is askin 1.25
lakhs.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:08 pm

Thanks a lot, Tanmay.

Mack The Knife

.375Double
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by .375Double » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:44 am

The pistol is a Beretta Model 70 .22 LR and I presume its an old model and not the "S" series - It apparently has a 3" barell and an interchangeable 8" barell.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:47 am

Badshah try the link I posted in my first reply. You will have your answer.
The .22 you are referring to is the Model 71. Its a good pistol. Operation is same as my .32. If it is in good condition and has the factory bluing intact then I should say the price you mention is just about ok. Ideally I would have settled for Rs 1 lakh or 1.10 since resale value of alloy models is quite low in India.

Regards

TC

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:09 am

ThanksTC,
If you hav any pistol in knowledge plz PM me,any other make will also do.
TC";p="9523 wrote: Badshah try the link I posted in my first reply. You will have your answer.
The .22 you are referring to is the Model 71. Its a good pistol. Operation is same as my .32. If it is in good condition and has the factory bluing intact then I should say the price you mention is just about ok. Ideally I would have settled for Rs 1 lakh or 1.10 since resale value of alloy models is quite low in India.

Regards

TC
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 am

Will try. Whats your location/city ?

.375Double
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by .375Double » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:52 am

Rs.1.25 For a Beretta is a great price - If the condition is good go for it.
badshah0522";p="9458 wrote: Hi Tc!,
can u give details for .22(full Alloy,Dont know the Model.)exactly Similer to .380 mod 70s lookwise.(only difference in grip-in .22 without thumb rest something like .32)
what should be the price in India for that pistol.if in good condition ?i am planning to buy one.Dealer is askin 1.25
lakhs.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:04 pm

Lucknow (U.P)
TC";p="9532 wrote: Will try. Whats your location/city ?

Biggus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Biggus » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:57 am

Hi,

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but can anyone confirm that the model 71 .22 operates the same way as the 70 .32? Does the slide lock open on an empty magazine? I've heard some conflicting things about this.

Thanks.

Biggus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Biggus » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:55 am

Bump for info.

:)

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:58 am

Biggus";p="16383 wrote:Hi,

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but can anyone confirm that the model 71 .22 operates the same way as the 70 .32? Does the slide lock open on an empty magazine? I've heard some conflicting things about this.

Thanks.
AFAIK this holds true for all Beretta pistols,from Models 34 onwards.

Sanjay

Biggus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Biggus » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:45 pm

Sanjay";p="17499 wrote: AFAIK this holds true for all Beretta pistols,from Models 34 onwards.

Sanjay
Hi Sanjay,

I've heard from some people in the US that their Mod 71s don't lock open, but others with Mod 72s do hold the slide open. Everything else I read and hear says that the only difference between the 71 and 72 is the barrel length. I'm now wondering if the US simply received different pistols to the 71s and 72s that Europe and the rest of the world got.

Thanks for your reply.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:35 pm

Biggus";p="17530 wrote:Hi Sanjay,

I've heard from some people in the US that their Mod 71s don't lock open, but others with Mod 72s do hold the slide open. Everything else I read and hear says that the only difference between the 71 and 72 is the barrel length. I'm now wondering if the US simply received different pistols to the 71s and 72s that Europe and the rest of the world got.

Thanks for your reply.
Not sure if this is the problem - but this can also happen if the magazine is defective. I have 3 mags for my .45 colt and one of them (initially) would not lock the slide open on emptying... some tinkering with the mag fixed the problem.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein