Which Handgun

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
VJ
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Which Handgun

Post by VJ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:10 am

Hello
Between .32 and .357 Mag what bore would you prefer? penpusher mentioned that the .357 is a non prohibited bore.

Also what makes would you prefer in a new one?
Per feedback from fellow members the PPK is not reliable. Also the Berretta Tomcat is not all that great (got clipped from the slide a couple of times and the shells eject towards you almost hurting you at times).

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:46 am

VJ

if money isnt an issue then .357 is a better option , check earlier emails on cost of this calibre revolver or even imported .32 revolver. Then add the cost of ammo for .357. Again its all about budget.

Incase you need .32 for safety or home defense and if you are on budget then go for IOF .32 revolver. Or you can wait for IOF .22 Steel revolver TC wrote about.

Cheers

VJ
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by VJ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:02 am

My error, ngrewal think I should have been more specific, if one had an option to import a gun and willing to spend close to $1000 on the cost of the gun what would be a good gun. I would like to know makes and models if possible. Since the only .32 that I seem to have found so far in a pistol is the PPK (better than the Berretta Tomcat) apart from their Model 432PD .32 Revolver. Maybe I am not looking in the right place.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:27 am

VJ

Seems like you are looking at Transfer of Residence TR back to India?
There are pistols and revolver made by Taurus http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunse ... esults.cfm

Also check out CZ 83 pistol. http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=40

Another good pistol is National Guardian .32. http://www.naaminis.com/32NAA.html

Thing is you should look for ammo thats easily available and cheap in India. Therefore .357 could be expensive in that sense. Although .357 is much powerful than a .32.

You should also look at .22 revolvers

Either way any gun in hands of sharp shooter is good enough to cause damage.

All the best

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Which Handgun

Post by TC » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:05 pm

VJ, getting .357 ammo in India is a tricky proposition. Some dealers charge Rs 300 a piece. The only alternative is to import 25 cartridges at a time on every foreign trip. But that involves quite a hassle.

In .32, CZ 83 is the best of the lot if you manage to get the 13 shot version. I believe because of restrictions in the US they are supplying the one that has the 10 shot clip.
I have fired it here with Indian KF cartridges. Worked just fine.
The national guardian is a good pistol but I have read in test reports that it is ammo sensitive. In fact the .32 NAA does not feed standard .32 ACP. The fomer is a bottleneck. You wont get much option on ammos in India.
Another pistol that comes to my mind is the Heckler & Koch squeeze cocker P series that had a limited number in .32s. P series pistols are very good. Cant remember the exact model number of the .32

If .22 is your choice then you could have a look at the Sig Mosquito and Walther P22. Both are good weapons.
I dont have much faith in the Interarms PPKs but you could still have a look at the new .22 PPK.

Taurus revolvers are good. You could also check with dealers if a .32 Colt detective special is still available. Or the Smith and Wesson Model Model 31 in 2 inch barrel. Both make fine carry weapons.

Hope that helps

TC
Last edited by TC on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:43 pm

VJ, if you will be living with the gun in India, I'd recommend a S&W or Ruger revolver, or Colt if you can find one. I say this because you may not get good ammo to work a semi-auto reliably and maintenance, repair will be much easier too. The caliber, I'd go by how easily ammo availability is. I'd prefer the .357 though.

BTW, you're right about the Tomcat, I once shot one, not good, imagine a small Diwali fire cracker, not the cap, the small red one with a fuse, going off in your clenched fist.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:06 am

VJ

I agree with Sharief best choice is revolver. Reliable, durable and best of all dont have to worry about ejected shells...
Taurus has reasonable rates, do have a .32 and If budget allows you can find a good one from big three SW, Colt or Ruger. ANother little known brand is Charter Arms.

Then again you will have more choice in .22 LR revolvers. Check them out. I prefer .22, there are more shots in the chamber and ammo is easily available for practice.
Rgds