Wifama kbks Wz.78 training rifle

Posts related to rifles.
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Wifama kbks Wz.78 training rifle

Post by The Doc » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:51 am

xl_target wrote:Thanks Doc.Which furniture were you referring to?
The gun stock.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:58 am

Ah OK, Doc. A momentary lapse in understanding on my part.
The stock as far as I can tell is European Beech. The "fish scale" look in parts of the stock is a characteristic of Beech.

One other comment is that it is surprisingly quiet with standard velocity ammo. Just a muted pop with CCI "quiet 22" ammo. I'll have to try some CB caps in it too. My Ruger with it's 18 inch barrel barks out loud with everything.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:43 am

xl_target - Wonderful write-up and range report on a lovely rifle - simply beautiful! :cpix:

Words of praise that come to mind are: systematic, organized, passionate, well researched, attention to detail!

Thanks for sharing. :cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 pm

timmy wrote:That's a very tasty piece and an interesting report, XL. I find the Mosin/SKS/AK style sights interesting! Of course, they will make the trainer's sights to look like the service rifle's, but that's what struck me immediately about your pictures. I would love to have one of these!
SOG has them.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am

I was at the range today and was just packing up to leave. I had one magazinefull of Wolf MT left. Since the 100 yard range was clear, I shifted over there and pasted up a target.
This is the first time that I tried the Wifama out at 100 yards. I knew there was going to be a singniificant amount of drop with Wolf MT at 100 yards, so I pasted two targets one below the other with the bullseyes lined up. I aimed at the topmost bullseye and my shot hit about 12 inches low and into the second piece of paper. This was with a 50 yard zero.

I had my scope, a Mueller APV set at 12 power.
When I walked out to retrieve my targets, you can imagine my surprise at what I saw.

I was just shooting off bags and not really expecting much.
The flyer was right above the group so it was probably my breathing that caused it.
The temperature was about 65 degrees and there was a light wind gusting to about 10 or 12 miles per hour.
I noticed that the wind was coming in at a different direction at the 100 yard mark compared to the 50 yard mark.

If one discounts the flyer, (meaning: if would have taken a little more care)......
The remaining four shot group was 0.791-0.228=0.563"

This rifle seems to get better the more I shoot it.
I will just have to go back and try again to see if this is repeatable.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Wow - that is truly amazing! :shock:

Looks like there plenty more to be explored with this training rifle.....enjoy the voyage of discovery :D

:cheers:

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 am

One issue I had with my Wifama rifle was while the rifle itself is built like a tank, the trigger guard was molded plastic. It was a horrible job with clearly visible mold lines and other blemishes. Another issue was that on tightening the rear action screw, the rear of the trigger guard would deform. So one had to be extremely careful when reassembling the rifle. This also left the action less than firmly bedded in the stock. While this didn't seem to affect how the rifle shot, it bothered several owners of the rifle.

The gentlemen at DIP Products came up with an elegant solution. They produced a very limited run of steel CNC machined trigger guards for the Wifama with Torx head action screws set up to fit the rifle. I received a package in the mail the other day with some goodies from them. The DIP trigger guard came unfinished, so I blued it last night and installed it today.

The trigger guard as it was shipped: "in the white". Since the Wifama wz.78 has a fully adjustable trigger, the slot allows access to the screw that allows the trigger to slide back and forth on a rail. This allows you to position the trigger exactly, to match the length of your finger. I guess one could say it has an adjustable length of pull.

The blued trigger guard. Note the thinned rear so the trigger finger can access the trigger without touching the trigger guard.

A comparision of the two trigger guards

The Torx screws compared to the original slotted screws.

Before (with the plastic trigger guard)

After with the new trigger guard and Torx screws installed. I got lucky, my bluing job color matched the trigger exactly.

I'm extremely pleased at what a good job DIP did. I think that it improves the aesthetics of the rifle and I don't have to worry about the trigger guard snapping during a sub-zero squirrel hunt or range trip.

DIP's pages on their products for the Wifama.
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.asp ... 5&CAT=3606
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.asp ... 7&CAT=3606

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks! Good find. Much better than the original.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi XL,

I bought the dips match for my marlin some weeks ago. Am waiting to install it and see how it does. Your blueing is excellent, hot blue ?
Seems like you can shoot great groups with any rifle now, Mr Rifleman ;-).
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 pm

TwoRivers wrote:Thanks! Good find. Much better than the original.
I think it was luck, Two Rivers, that DIP agreed to make the part for such an obscure rifle.
I bought the dips match for my marlin some weeks ago. Am waiting to install it and see how it does. Your blueing is excellent, hot blue ?
The Blue was just Birchwood Casey cold blue. I applied it several times, rinsing in cold water and rubbing with (fake) steel wool between applications.
Dev, I think you will be very pleased with your Marlin parts. They do quality work. Please take photos. A before and after shot would be appreciated.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:45 am

Great work on the trigger guard! :D

xl_target I just came across this post about the Wifama WZ.78 bolt disassembly / reassembly procedure, thought it might interest you.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 1&t=340544

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 pm

ckkalyan wrote:Great work on the trigger guard! :D

xl_target I just came across this post about the Wifama WZ.78 bolt disassembly / reassembly procedure, thought it might interest you.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 1&t=340544
Thanks CK, I have that one bookmarked.