Wifama kbks Wz.78 training rifle

Posts related to rifles.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Wifama kbks Wz.78 training rifle

Post by xl_target » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 pm

President Ronald Reagan presided over the US of A from 1981 to 1989. One of the results of his presidency and his policies was the breakdown of the Soviet Union and the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact. Trying and being unable to compete with the massive spending on conventional arms and (real and imagined) exotic programs like the "Star Wars Missile Defense" system, the then Soviet regime brought themselves and their country to the brink of bankruptcy. The resultant breakup of their massive union allowed many eastern European countries to leave the Warsaw Pact organization.
Winds of Change
The events of 1989 turned the geopolitical and economical environments of Europe upside down. In 1991 both the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact were dissolved and in March 1992 NATO’s Secretary General Manfred Wörner “opened the door” of the Pact for the former Warsaw Pact countries. In 1993 the last Russian soldier left Poland and on July 5, 1994 Partnership for Peace linked Poland to NATO and promised full membership by the end of decade. Faced with these, the General Staff ordered unification of ammunition types between the Polish Army and NATO, triggering a revolutionary changes in logistics system – a move towards Western calibers after 50 years of using and manufacturing of the Soviet ones. The 7.62x54R, 7.62×39, 9×18 and 12.7×108 became “interim, obsolescent” rounds overnight, the 5.45×39 became “obsolete” and was to be withdrawn just years after it was finally introduced after a decade of preparations, while 9×19, 5.56×45, 7.62×51 and .50BMG became new standard rounds.
Linked from: UKM-2000, the Polish succesor to the PKM

Poland was one of the first to leave and one of the first to be invited to join NATO. For many years the Poles trained school age cadets with .22 caliber rifles that mimicked the full size weapons. The well known Wz.48 rifles were very similar to the full size Mosin-Nagant rifles. In 1978, the successor to the Wz.48 was designed. The rifle was manufactured by the Wifama Textile Machine Company which routinely handled many defense contracts. It was designated the KBKS (Short Military Training Rifle) Wz. 78. However, when Poland Joined NATO, they obsoleted their Soviet era logistics system and rushed to embrace the challenges of fitting into NATO. These training rifles became obsolete almost overnight. Apparently rifles still in the pipeline were stored. Enterprising US arms dealers were able to buy some of this obsolete inventory for a song. At first the Wz.48 rifles showed up and sold out pretty quickly. The Wz.78 rifles started showing up in 2010. The first batches were used rifles that had been used by a generation of cadets and showed their age. Interestingly people found these rifles to be remarkably accurate. The first batches went fast. The latest batch showed up at the end of 2011 and these seemed to be unused rifles.

Polish wz.48 training rifle. Image from HERE

Image.
Polish kbks wz.78 trining rifle. Image from HERE.

I remember with fondness my NCC days when we trained with .22 caliber SMLE's so when this batch of military training rifles caught my attention, I jumped in with both feet. I have been looking for a .22 bolt action rifle to do some serious plinking, hunting and target shooting with for a while. It's not that my trusty 10-22 rifle is any slouch as a small game rifle but over 50 yards, the groups tend to open up a bit. A squirrel's head is a small target at that range. I priced out some of the Ruger bolt .22's and their prices have soared. A heavy barreled 77-22 bolt action rifle in .22LR has an MSRP close to a thousand bucks. The CZ's are more reasonably priced but some of them will set you back half a Grover Cleveland ($1000 bill). So when these Wz.78's showed up on the market for $239, I decide to take a chance.

Polish Cadets. The kbks wz.78 is on the pad beside the student. Image from HERE

The rifle is a heavy barreled .22 caliber, bolt action full size rifle. It is fitted with AKM sights. The rear sight consists of an adjustable ramp and the front sight is an adjustable shielded post. The sights are fitted on rails and can be easily removed. There is also a 11mm groove on the receiver for scope mounting. The trigger is adjustable for length of pull, weight of pull and some of the takeup can be adjusted. It has a match chamber and a five round metal box magazine. Apart from having a slightly creepy first stage, the trigger is pretty nice. The rifle is built using methods and care that are seldom seen in mass produced .22 caliber rifles today. From the massively thick receiver walls to the heavy 25 inch barrel and the birch stock, it oozes strength and robustness. The Poles were apparently no slouches when it came to machining metal. You could probably pry open your garage door with it and then go on to shoot the bullseye with no ill effects. It weighs about eight and a half pounds. This is a full size rifle masquerading as a .22.

After a long wait, my Wifama rifle showed up yesterday. It was covered in preservative and grease. I managed to clean off the stock and action yesterday night (including the bolt). To my amazement this is an absolutely pristine rifle. No dings on the wood and no marks on the metal. The bolt face is unmarked and so is the follower of the magazine. I got lucky and got one of the new, unissued ones. I had planned to sneak away this afternoon and hit the range but those danm Canadians ;) sent us an arctic front with winds gusting upto 30 mph so I had to pass. While I was waiting for the rifle to arrive, I bought the scope, rings and a bunch of different kinds of ammo to try out.

The Scope:
ImageImage
A Mueller APV 4.5X14X40 with an adjustable objective. Hey, its only a .22 and I only need to shoot up to a hundred yards. I wasn't going to spend $500 on a real high priced scope.

The Rings:
BKL 4-inch long Rimfire Unitized Dovetail Mount

Test ammo:
I didn't buy any high priced stuff like Eley Match. If the gun proves itself, I'll try out a bunch of match ammo later this summer. I wanted to try it out with run of the mill plinking fodder first.

Here are some preliminary photos of the gun. I'll post more later when I can get better shots.
A comparison photo showing it's size. On the left is a Ruger M77V in .280 Remington (24 inch barrel), In the middle is the wz.78 (25 inch barrel) and on the right is a Ruger 10-22 (18 inch barrel). It's no .22 Smelly but I like what I see so far and the price was right.

Range Report
Unlike Baljit, I'm not planning to go out and play with my new toy in sub-zero weather. I'm not as hard-core as he is :). As soon as it warms up a little, I will provide a full range report.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Wifama kbks Wz.78 training rifle

Post by xl_target » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:11 am

More photos:

The rear sight: right hand side

The rear sight: left hand sight with attachment nut.

The front sight: adjustable post.

The sights removed showing the railed bases

The rear sight removed. It is calibrated to 100 meters. The front and rear sight bases are also removable.

The magazine and release lever. Pushing in on the release lever drops the magazine.

The safety behind the bolt handle: up for fire. The scope mounting rails can be seen here.
The bolt handle is attached to the rear locking lug.

The five round magazine
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:27 am

Very nice toys, xl i am looking forward for IFG Meet 2012, when it's going to be?

Baljit

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:25 pm

XL,

I like it.A solidly made rifle that will hold you in good stead. Thank you for such a nicely detailed report with some important historical tidbits and photographs thrown in. I enjoyed much reading the report.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:37 pm

After reading this post, I checked on Waetherby's for their Mark XXII bolt action .22lr rifle which is made by Anschutz. What a shame they stopped offering the model. :evil:

Best-
Vikram

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:18 pm

XL_Target wrote:
I have been looking for a .22 bolt action rifle to do some serious plinking, hunting and target shooting with for a while.

I got lucky and got one of the new, unissued ones. I had planned to sneak away this afternoon and hit the range but those danm Candians ;) sent us an arctic front with winds gusting upto 30 mph so I had to pass.
Congrats xl on the new addition. Thanks for the informative report . That looks like a really nice rifle.

When I read your joke about the Canadians I remembered one (joke) forwarded to me from a friend who lives in Toronto.

God turned to Gabrial and said "I shall create a land called Canada. A land of outstanding beauty.Majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes with bass and trout. Forests full of Elk and Moose. Rivers stocked with salmon. Land rich in oil so that the inhabitants prosper and call themselves Canadians. They shall be praised as the friendliest of all people."

"But Lord" said Gabrial "Is that not too generous"

and God replied.
"Just wait and see the neighbours I shall inflict upon them".
:D :D

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks for the comments prashantsingh!

We make the similar joke around here about Minnesota. We pretty much say all the same things about the place except we don't have oil.

.... and brutal winters to keep the riff-raff out. Then God turns to Gabriel and says "wait till you see the size of the Mosquitoes that I sent to torment them".

There are roughly 50 species of Mosquito in MN! We often joke that they are large enough to carry away your first born and you need birdshot to bring them down.

Vikram,
Those Weatherby .22's are great rifles. Like everything that Weatherby makes, the prices are up there too. If you're interested in reading more about them, Rimfire Central has a whole section devoted to them.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/fo ... .php?f=216

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:48 am

Very handsome rifle, wish we could get such stuff.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks, Dev

The BKL mounts from PyramidAir came in today.

I was finally able to mount the scope.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Sweet.

Best-
Vikram

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 am

Well, I went out on Sunday. It was cold with a constant wind, gusting quite often. I sighted in with standard Federal bulk and once I got close to being zeroed at 25 yards, I tried to check the zero at 50 yards. I tried for quite a while but gave it up after a while as the winds were too gusty. Gun cases, cartridge boxes and targets were flying all over the place. I then went to the 25 yard range and tried a few different brands. I got my best results with CCI standard velocity (.252" group). The federal match gave me a .288"group. CCI stingers gave me a .3" group but printed an inch high. The Federal match, however, was the most consistent. These were all five shot groups. I'm just running these groups off bags and not off a real rest. The gun wants to shoot and will most likely out shoot me.

I will try again at a later date when it warms up a little and it is not so windy (especially at 50 and 100 yards). Right now its too uncomfortable to be on the range with my nose streaming and fingers and feet getting numb.

These are just targets downloaded off the Internet.
This is what they look like normally:

I scanned, cropped them, cleaned them up and added my notes:
Image Image Image

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:56 am

That's a very tasty piece and an interesting report, XL. I find the Mosin/SKS/AK style sights interesting! Of course, they will make the trainer's sights to look like the service rifle's, but that's what struck me immediately about your pictures. I would love to have one of these!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Great shooting xl.
Any plans to represent the US in the London Olympics? :cheers:

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Congratulations XL,

In addition to the sturdy looking rifle, I like the furniture too.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks Doc.
Which furniture were you referring to?
prashantsingh wrote:Great shooting xl.
Any plans to represent the US in the London Olympics? :cheers:
LOL Prashant, I wish I could do that at 50 yards and further (with a .22).
As it stands right now, with today's manufacturing quality, even the cheap Savage's and Marlin's (in .22LR) can do that at 25 yards with ease. 20 years ago (or even 15 years ago), I would have laughed if someone had mentioned buying a Savage but they make a damn good gun today.
For about $200 and some change, I can buy a heavy barreled, synthetic stocked Savage rimfire bolt action gun in .17 HMR, .17 HM2 or .22LR that will be amazingly accurate. The .17's will be accurate out past fifty yards with no problem.