difference between iof and blaser 3006

Posts related to rifles.
Shooterlike
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

difference between iof and blaser 3006

Post by Shooterlike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 am

hi guys, its been quite sometime since i last posted, but was busy in getting my license corrected, now finally got a 3006 license
but confused on gettng a used blaser r or new 3006

For Advertising mail webmaster
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Re: difference between iof and blaser 3006

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:30 am

The difference is about 19lakhs as far as price goes. Night and day as far as fit and finish , aesthetics and pride of ownership go. None as far as accuracy goes....in fact the IOF might even out shoot the Blaser

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:30 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but Blazers are hunting rifles with hunting rifle accuracies. I always thought of them as the iGuns of the firearm world :mrgreen:

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:47 am

winnie_the_pooh wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:30 am
The difference is about 19lakhs as far as price goes. Night and day as far as fit and finish , aesthetics and pride of ownership go. None as far as accuracy goes....in fact the IOF might even out shoot the Blaser
Price are down there days. Blaser price is around 12 lacs. So to the difference would be about 10.5 lacs.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:14 pm

I stand corrected. That is still a huge difference.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:18 pm

(y) the difference is huge
Vineet Armoury

Shooterlike
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Shooterlike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:05 am

thanks guys, was aware of the price gap, wanted to know a bit more technically, such as floating barrel etc., and what all of those on paper means on the field really

Shooterlike
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Shooterlike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:21 am

hi guys, out of curiosity, i need to know if iof 3006 is that worth, coz im planning on buying one but need to know if it is really better than its rivals(remmington blaser etc.), ofcourse price should be considered but not compromised for accuracy, reliabilty and quality of the barrel stock quality or sights are not important, kindly advise

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:57 am

Shooterlike wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:21 am
hi guys, out of curiosity, i need to know if iof 3006 is that worth, coz im planning on buying one but need to know if it is really better than its rivals(remmington blaser etc.), ofcourse price should be considered but not compromised for accuracy, reliabilty and quality of the barrel stock quality or sights are not important, kindly advise
It is a very accurate gun with no frills. Worth every paisa of it. Th comb drop is the only downside. Get a extra three round mag and a strap on comb height. No other modification is necessary. You can save alot on ammo expenditure and improve your long range big bore skills.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Shooterlike wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:05 am
thanks guys, was aware of the price gap, wanted to know a bit more technically, such as floating barrel etc., and what all of those on paper means on the field really
Floating barrel: A rifle's barrel is said to float when it is attached to the receiver, but in front of that, it does not contact the stock or any other part of the rifle.

The test for this is to take a bank note out of your wallet and wrap it around the barrel, holding the ends together above the barrel. If the barrel is truly floated, you should be able to pass the bill all the way up to where it threads into the receiver.

Is a floating barrel better than one that is not floated? That depends. First, remind yourself that a barrel is not a "rigid" piece of steel, but a piece of flexible steel, mostly like all low carbon steel (as opposed to something like a drill bit). It will flex when fired, and actually vibrates something like a tuning fork or a guitar string.

The idea for an accurate rifle is for it to shoot repeatably. The barrel will vibrate around when you shoot it, but if the bullet leaves the barrel at the same point of vibration, it will travel to the same place. Sometimes, when barrels are thin, they vibrate more than a short thick barrel. When a thin barrel gets hot from repeated firing, it may curve in one direction or another. One way to try to solve this problem is to bed the barrel into the stock. This is most often done by having a pressure point at the end of the fore end that touches the barrel in one point only -- usually the barrel is floated and not touching anywhere else. Doing this dampens the vibrations of the barrel -- it doesn't make them go away, but it dampens them.

Another trick used on the .303 SMLE and the RFI 2A and 2A1 is to have a screw and spring arrangement halfway up the barrel that tensions the barrel against the fore stock with a spring.

All of these techniques can sometimes be made to work. One problem with them, especially with a wood stock, is when the wood stock swells and shrinks with humidity. This will change the tension point against the barrel and thus change your aiming zero. I had this experience when shooting my Ruger #1 270 at a deer: the rifle was zeroed in for a perfect 275 yard shot and I aimed at the "boiler room": the deer's heart-lung area. I fired and down he went. Right away, I did reload (with a single shot, you are unarmed as soon as you pull the trigger!) and ran up to the buck. He began to get up when I was about 20 yards away, and I quickly put him down with another shot right into his boiler room.

Examining the buck, I saw that my first shot had grazed the top of his head, nearly between his antlers. The bullet had hit about 40 cm too high! The Ruger #1 hangs the fore end from a rib that sticks out from the receiver. Rather than sanding out the pressure point, I put a shim between the fore end and the rib, which free floated the barrel, and my zero point stopped wandering after that.

So, is a floating barrel the best? Maybe, or maybe not. Shoot any rifle first and find out what its behaviors are under different conditions, and then make your choice as to how the barrel should be bedded: free floating, or with a pressure point.

Regarding this particular rifle you are asking about, I haven't shot or even held one, but what I've said here will still apply. There is no reason for a Blaser-type rifle to be inaccurate, and the design has features which should make it accurate. 30-06 is a pretty accurate cartridge too, so give it a try before you decide to modify things.

This is what it means when the barrel is said to be "free floated"
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:37 pm

Wow really great detailed explanation.

This knowledge will help many of us in understanding the Basics to buy a good purpose built Rifle . Thanks.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:45 pm

If you want something inbetween IOF .30-06 and Blaser then go for modified IOF .30-06 from one of India's best gunsmith, Bobby Sidhu from Patiala.

It will cost you around 2.50 to 3.50 lacs. It's difficult to resist once you see a rifle modified by him.
Last edited by Vineet on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vineet Armoury

Shooterlike
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Shooterlike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 am

Vineet wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:45 pm
If you want something inbetween IOF .30-06 and Blaser then go for modified IOF .30-06 from one of India's best gunsmith, Bobby Sidhu from Patiala.

It will cost you around 2.50 to 3.50 lacs. It's difficult to resist once you see a rifle modified from him.
thank you guys, can you pm his details

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:18 am

Shooterlike wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 am
Vineet wrote:

It will cost you around 2.50 to 3.50 lacs. It's difficult to resist once you see a rifle modified from him.
Check your PM
Vineet Armoury

Shooterlike
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Shooterlike » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:19 am

Vineet wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:18 am
Shooterlike wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 am
Vineet wrote:

Check your PM
thanks...