Remington 700 ADL need Suggetion

Posts related to rifles.
pawan1981
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Remington 700 ADL need Suggetion

Post by pawan1981 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:12 pm

dear all sir and expert
would it be a good decision to buy a 30.06 Remington 700 ADL @ price of 6L(price is not matter) need accuracy, smoothness and reliability. pls suggest

For Advertising mail webmaster
james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Remington 700 ADL need Suggetion

Post by james » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 pm

Winchester model 70 - pre 64 is best . This is my personal experience.
James

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 am

The Remington 700 is a fine rifle, well known for strength and accuracy. The military and competition version, the 40X in 7.62x51 NATO is also a well accepted version of this rifle. Teh BDL version was a fancier one, but as a hunting rifle, there's no downside to the ADL's "blind" magazine.

As a note, my familiarity here is with a Remington 721 in 300 H&H that I once owned. The 721 was the predecessor of the 700. The upgrade to the 700 was partly a modification to the extractor to improve durability. 700s were well known for many years as a fine hunting and, in some cases, competition rifle.

You cannot go wrong with the 30-06 cartridge -- everyone knows this!

Part of choosing a rifle has to do with what you want to do with it. A 700 can do just about everything well, so it is a good choice for most pursuits, including if you want to simply take it out and touch it off every now and then.

The one thing to watch for is the trigger, over which lawsuits and oceans of ink have been spilled. Make sure that the trigger is kept clean from dirt and rust (you'll need to take the action out of the stock to check this) and then make sure it operates correctly. I tested mine (the 721 and 700 shared the same trigger) by rapping the butt stock on the carpet when the bolt was cocked and closed ON AN UNLOADED CHAMBER. The striker should remain cocked. If you are reasonably sure that the trigger hasn't been fiddled with by an "expert" and the gun seems to be in good order, you can close the bolt smartly on an empty chamber to make sure that the sear holds the striker. A dealer may not approve of you rapping the butt stock on the floor of his shop!

As to price, I cannot give a guide line, but possibly some other member here can do so.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:51 am

+1 to Timmy

I own a budget model called Mod78 sportsman bought for a conversion to .338 Federal. I didn’t know it had an almost brand new barrel in 7-08 and puts 3 into a cloverleaf. Everything Ive shot with it has stayed dead. The lack of Control Feed doesn’t bother me. Trigger is the pre law suit period and I’ve shelved the idea of converting it. Love the 7mm’s a lot 👍
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

pawan1981
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pawan1981 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:46 pm

james wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 pm
Winchester model 70 - pre 64 is best . This is my personal experience.
James
thankyou sir
but it is very difficult to get in India and also with good condition

pawan1981
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pawan1981 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:49 pm

timmy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 am
The Remington 700 is a fine rifle, well known for strength and accuracy. The military and competition version, the 40X in 7.62x51 NATO is also a well accepted version of this rifle. Teh BDL version was a fancier one, but as a hunting rifle, there's no downside to the ADL's "blind" magazine.

As a note, my familiarity here is with a Remington 721 in 300 H&H that I once owned. The 721 was the predecessor of the 700. The upgrade to the 700 was partly a modification to the extractor to improve durability. 700s were well known for many years as a fine hunting and, in some cases, competition rifle.

You cannot go wrong with the 30-06 cartridge -- everyone knows this!

Part of choosing a rifle has to do with what you want to do with it. A 700 can do just about everything well, so it is a good choice for most pursuits, including if you want to simply take it out and touch it off every now and then.

The one thing to watch for is the trigger, over which lawsuits and oceans of ink have been spilled. Make sure that the trigger is kept clean from dirt and rust (you'll need to take the action out of the stock to check this) and then make sure it operates correctly. I tested mine (the 721 and 700 shared the same trigger) by rapping the butt stock on the carpet when the bolt was cocked and closed ON AN UNLOADED CHAMBER. The striker should remain cocked. If you are reasonably sure that the trigger hasn't been fiddled with by an "expert" and the gun seems to be in good order, you can close the bolt smartly on an empty chamber to make sure that the sear holds the striker. A dealer may not approve of you rapping the butt stock on the floor of his shop!

As to price, I cannot give a guide line, but possibly some other member here can do so.

thankyou very much sir
guide us with your experience