Winchester Mod. 1910 S.L.

Posts related to rifles.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Winchester Mod. 1910 S.L.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:01 am

jonahpach";p="24373 wrote:Hello Mack The Knife are we talking about this kind of rifle ?

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=8110318

Jonah
Yes, Jonah. This is more or less similar to what my friend has. The rear sights are different and the one in the pic seems to be a bit longer.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:15 am

What does not happen when it fails to eject? Does the breech not come back fully, or does it not grab the rim of the case?
Mark the bolt does not move back in the slightest on firing. However, when my friend manually pushes down the plunger it will extract, eject and then chamber a round when the plunger is allowed to shoot forward under spring tension.

When my friend and I went through the drawing, he told me he had taken out one spring. According to him, it is a very weak spring and located in the forward half of the plunger.

The first thing I am going to do is replace this spring and take a trial shot. If it then extracts, ejects and reloads, then that would most probably have been the culprit.

I say probably because I plan to clean and reassemble the parts just one time.
It appears to be gas operated.
There appears to be some difference of opinion on this point. CC claims that his friend's 1907 model isn't gas operated but this being a 1910, it's possible that that may be case. Will know when I open it up.
First thing I would do is disassemble and clean the gas operating system as that is usually where the problem is. There is going to be a piston and an operating rod. My limited experience with this type of system is either the piston is dirty and hanging up, or the operating rod is bent (from cartridges loaded with too much gas pressure).

The good news is these things are mostly designed to be opened up and cleaned so provided there are not many rusted/buggered screws it should be a simple job.
Thanks, Mark.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:22 am

cottage cheese";p="24369 wrote:Now I'm more than a bit embarassed! :)
Sorry about that but I was quite overwhelmed by the effort you have put into getting me the information. Plus it does not hurt to let the board know who the helpful guys are.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:54 am

Dodger, the Models `05, `07 and `10 are all basically the same rifle. just rescaled to cope with different cartridges and I can now confirm that all three are simple blow-back designs and with many parts common to the three models. The `05 was offered in .32WSL and .35WSL calibres, the `07 in .351 and the `10 in .401.
The model `05 was discontinued in 1920 after sales of approximately 20,000 rifles.
The model `07 was more popular and a Police version was offered up until the 1950s. Total sales were a little over 59,000.
The .32WSL produced approximately the same energy as the .30 Cal M1 carbine cartridge and was in fact used as the basis for the .30 M1 carbine cartridge.
The .35WSL produced approximately the same energy as the .357 magnum ( 180 gr bullet @ 1400 fps for c.784 ft lbs. )
By rifle standards both were puny wimps power-wise.
The .351 was a redesigned .35WSL with the case lengthened to hold more powder and velocity was increased by 400 fps to 1800fps with a 180 gr bullet - that`s 1295 ft lbs ME so still pretty feeble - illegal for use on deer in England/Wales as it`s well under the 1700 ft lbs ME minimum.
`WSL` by the way being abbreviated from `Winchester Self Loading`
I`ve just emailed you a pretty comprehensive article dealing with the M `05 and M `07 including most of the above including disassembly instructions which might be of use to you and reloading data - which may be of use to CCs friend - could you please forward it to CC ?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks a lot, Grumpy.

Haven't checked the e-mail yet but will definitely forward it to CC.

Thanks again.

Mack The Knife

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:20 pm

No. Not recoil operated. It's a blowback. If the breech bolt moves but the case stay in the chamber, it's probably the extractor. If nothing moves, it's probably the ammo gone soft. Both 200 and 250 grain bullets were loaded. While some idiots probably tried it on grizzly, I wouldn't call it a grizzly gun.