New Member - Mauser Help

Posts related to rifles.
mehulkamdar

Re: New Member - Mauser Help

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:28 am

Herb,

The fact that you are building a custom Mauser shows that you have good taste. Your not liking Remingtons shows that your sense of taste is impeccable. 8)

Since you are building a custom rifle, do post pictures of the entire process over here. It would be nice for our members to see a custom rifle being made. I know this is common on other forums, but IFG is a forum for Indians and I think you would be the first member to commission a new rifle from scratch here.

Montana Rifleman do make a good product for the custom trade and there are many good references to their barrels and actions on various forums. SOme have criticised their actions for being somewhat crude but they do not offer a ready to install action and are clear that these are gunsmith supplies as a gunsmith would definitely finish them. Many fine rifles have been made with their actions and barrels. Congratulations in advance!

For our members do check out the Montana Rifleman website. Also Serengeti Rifles build custom rifles on the Montana Rifleman actions.

Cheers, everyone!

For Advertising mail webmaster
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:35 am

Yes Mehul thats a good suggestion, I will get the images as the rifle is being built and post them.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:41 am

Thanks Herb!

I'll be the first eager member in the queue to enjoy the pics! 8)

So is the rifle going to be a 338? Do give us details whenever you have time.

Cheers!

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:49 am

Yes Mehul its going to be a 338 WM. I will leave my camera with the gunsmith so that he can take some images as work progresses. The smith is around four hours drive from my place so I will get the images only once the gun is done unless the gunsmith is willing to send them to me by email once in a while.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:34 pm

8x57 Ammunition is available in plenty. Including new ammo from RWS.

Moreover 8mm bullets, cases et al are available in plenty. Look into reloading, it is a lot of fun.

I load for an even odder caliber 8x60S

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:44 am

thanks MoA, I am seriously considering reloading as I have other rifles in 8x60S & 9x57 for which ammo is not readily available...

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:37 am

Herb (and Mehul): With a 1942 date your 98 action should still be a good one and fairly smooth. It would be and "S" bore. Rebarrelling to .338 Win Mag would, of course, require opening of the bolt face and feed lips, it will require magazine work to make it work reliably and smoothly. And, welcome to the "I'd rather not have a Remington" club! As to full power 8x57 ammo, Norma and RWS ammo should be available in Canada in your vicinity, also S&B, which is more moderate. But, with the 8x60S on hand and just a bit more powerful, go for something else. Montana Rifleman barrels are good. Cheers.