Interesting Find

Posts related to rifles.
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Interesting Find

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:21 pm

penpusher";p="21271 wrote:How about a rolling block action?

penpusher
Hey penpusher... thanks for the suggestion but the receiver is a larger clone of the Stevens falling block design.... dropping block...whatever... :)

Rolling block receivers are pretty characteristic.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:19 am

Cottage Cheese,

Your agreeing or disagreeing make little difference to facts - a dropping block rifle aka a falling block is NOT a break open gun of any kind.

Both the dropping/falling block guns and break openers have been amde with top levers, sidelevers and various kinds of underlevers.

My suggestion again, invest in some good books if you cannot get actual experience with guns and then post here.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:39 am

mehulkamdar";p="21282 wrote:Cottage Cheese,

Your agreeing or disagreeing make little difference to facts - a dropping block rifle aka a falling block is NOT a break open gun of any kind.

Both the dropping/falling block guns and break openers have been amde with top levers, sidelevers and various kinds of underlevers.

My suggestion again, invest in some good books if you cannot get actual experience with guns and then post here.
Hi Mehul,

Somehow I feel I rubbed you off the wrong way and you are annoyed with me. I apologize if that is the case.

In interest of clarity, I must reitirate that I never mentioned at any point of time that a dropping or falling block is a break open gun- Do check my posts. Perhaps my posts were not written as clearly as they should have been.

I have invested insane amount of my time in learning about arms... books are just a part of it. Of course, just like anyone else, I can't claim to know everything - nobody does. In fact I'm here at IFG to learn and I welcome any new thing I learn. I really do hope that will be the case and comments that almost seem 'patronizing' hurt rather than help.

I fear this thread has potential of becoming a flame thing over the simple usage or assumed misusage of a compound word.

Lets put a brake on it. I'll destroy all the tubes and get this issue over with.

Once again I'm sincerely and respectfully sorry if I annoyed you.

The Konyak musket pics will be coming up soon- Visitors to my home have been dry firing it too much and snapped the nut that holds the hammer- I'm getting it repaired.

:)

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:30 am

Cottage Cheese,

As has been mentioned, the absolute first thing that needs to be done is find out what the legal disposition of these guns is, and what are the official rules for rendering them legally deactivated.

Another rule of thumb is to not beat yourself up too much on stuff like this. One common trait that occurs across the planet is that people don't just take serviceable stuff apart and let it rust into a mass. Believe me, when something gets junked there is almost always a good reason!

Having said that, you could probably make a unique floor lamp by welding all your parts together, then sandblasting and painting black. Just get a lamp fixture to attach to the, and you'll have a piece of furniture that you can tell an interesting story about!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:56 am

Cottage Cheese,

Nothing personal here and there is no need to apologise.

That said, it would help if you were to check the facts and background on a subject before posting. There are many new shooters here and many could end up getting the wrong message/being misinformed.

Mark's suggestion of the lamp holders is a good one. The Konyak muskets are something that I'll cetainly look forward to - if they could be exported anew after being made of modern steels, they could be a good source of revenue for the tribals.

Cheers!

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:18 am

Hi Mehul,

Ok man, we're cool. The matter is settled. Thanks for accommodating my blather.

Hope you had a nice weekend.

As for me, it can't get more miserable. First... the bleeding monsoons have opened up here and my tin roof does only two things... keeps me asleep or keeps me awake. I'm in Shillong - less than an hour away from what was once the wettest place on earth...so you'll know what I'm talking about. Nevertheless I think this is a fine time to start rust bluing! :)

To add to the misery...there is this two day bandh over some uranium mining issue in the state....pretty small minded affair.

Anyway I have some minor phosphating jobs to take care of..so that will keep me from going insane.

cheers to you too!

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:21 am

Mark";p="21308 wrote:Cottage Cheese,

As has been mentioned, the absolute first thing that needs to be done is find out what the legal disposition of these guns is, and what are the official rules for rendering them legally deactivated.

Another rule of thumb is to not beat yourself up too much on stuff like this. One common trait that occurs across the planet is that people don't just take serviceable stuff apart and let it rust into a mass. Believe me, when something gets junked there is almost always a good reason!

Having said that, you could probably make a unique floor lamp by welding all your parts together, then sandblasting and painting black. Just get a lamp fixture to attach to the, and you'll have a piece of furniture that you can tell an interesting story about!
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions.
The lamp shade thing is an interesting idea. Anyway, knowing the incredibly low IQ and mental outlook of our babudom here...I think the best option is to simply pretend I necer found them. I'll chop them up(To make salvaging impossible) and return them to the scrap heap.

Thanks Again!

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:01 am

Hopkins & Allen made a falling block in three sizes, the largest ones also as a shotgun. Can't look at the pictures, but the take-down screw at the bottom front of the receiver, holding in the barrel, sounds like H&A. Cheers.