Original Oberndorf Mauser Type A in .30-06

Posts related to rifles.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Original Oberndorf Mauser Type A in .30-06

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:12 pm

This is the first time I am seeing a carabiner type sling attachment. Very interesting and thanks.

Unfortunately, the Mauser also has a barrel band and rear eyelet with large holes and the present swivels do look out of place.

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:16 pm

Mack The Knife Bana wrote:This is the first time I am seeing a carabiner type sling attachment. Very interesting and thanks.

Unfortunately, the Mauser also has a barrel band and rear eyelet with large holes and the present swivels do look out of place.
Perhaps another post about which sling to get for this rifle :idea:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Feeling ignored, PP? Be a good chap and run along.

Thank you.

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:16 pm

TenX wrote:
Mack The Knife Bana wrote:...If someone could tell me how to post an AutoCAD drawing on the forum, I will do the needful.

Mack The Knife
In autocad

type "plot"
choose printer /ploter name as "Publish webjpg.pc3"
set the paper size "it will be generally in pixels for high details chose high pixel combinations "
set the plot style as "monochrome or acad.ctb
set the plot origin as "center of plot"

set the plot area option as "windows" to pick the exact window drag to get the jpg

drag the window whichever area you want to make as jpg and give ok .the software ask the jpg saving location and when the location is given with file name ,save the file .

Finally Required dwg is exported to jpg format and ready for the forum via photobucket....etc....

cheers :D
sankar

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Mack The Knife Bana wrote:Feeling ignored, PP? Be a good chap and run along.

Thank you.
Were you ignoring me?

Almost forgot,we have to discuss the proof marks as well :wink: ROTFL

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Getting slow... This should have occurred to me before ... might just about work and be the easiest of methods...

While in AutoCAD, and while viewing the drawing, press the Print Screen button ('PrtScn' - alongside the 'F12' button).
Now, open Windows Paint (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint)
Press Ctrl+V
Viola.. you have the drawing on Paint.
Do a 'Save as' and save in whatever format you want....
:)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:36 am

Mack The Knife: Regarding the safety: The critical part of the safety fitting is the point where the ridge on the safety enters the slot in the striker. That is the area where the fitting instructions from Timney talk about fitting. None of the guns I had or handled required any fitting to be done on the striker, tho I did do some work on the ridge part of the safety. I will admit that the Husqvarna and the other FN actioned rifle that I shot were factory fitted with the Buehler safety, so who knows what was done on them.

If you have tried swapping parts on various Mausers, you know that, while they are all supposedly made to the same specification, headspace and such can vary. The way the bolt locks into the action will affect where along the striker the safety ridge will want to engage, for instance. So regarding this matter, each individual application will need to have its own requirements taken into account. Of course, as you note, you could as a last resort use a different cocking piece/striker. All of this has to do with how much determination you have to get the scope low.

Regarding scopes, a lot of this business has to do with how you shoot. For instance, a lot of folks are not too keen and the Jeff Cooper/Scout Mount idea, which puts a long eye relief scope in the position of the traditional rear sight. Such scopes do not have a large field of view. However, this is not the point of that kind of scope or sighting setup, which is predicated on shooting with both eyes open. A small field of view will make acquiring the target very difficult if one sights with one eye closed. The "Scout Mount" concept is supposed to be used with both eyes, not just one.

I think it can be truly stated that, whatever kind of scope is used, shooting with both eyes open has advantages. Most of my shooting now is not done with a scope. I will admit that on the rifle I used for rockchuck hunting, a Ruger #1 in .270, on which is a Weaver 12x with adjustable objective, I never used both eyes. On other rifles with a 4x or less, I was working on transitioning to using both eyes. I now have several rifles on which I've tried non-magnifying optical sights, which brings up another point I'd like to make:

I fitted an SKS and an NHM-91 (a semi auto AK with a long barrel) with optical sights mounted with Millet mounts. These mounts are well made investment castings that take the place of the standard rear sight and, using the Weaver system, will mount whatever you want to use with them. However, the problem I had with both of these setups (they are very similar) was that they raise the line of sight very high above the rifle and there is no way that I could rest my head against the stock in a conventional manner. For relatively fast sighting with a scoped rifle, I expect my cheek bone to rest against the stock comb in such a way that when I snap the rifle to my cheek, it will fall into a natural position against my face and my face will be oriented to acquire a proper sight picture immediately. I found that the problem with a high mounted scope was that I always had to locate the proper position of my head on the rifle stock to acquire a sighting picture.

I've also fitted a red dot optical sight on a muzzle loader I have. In this case, the rear sight was removed and I drilled a Weaver base for a 336 Marlin lever to correspond to the threaded holes in the barrel. Since the Marlin 336 has a flat topped receiver and the muzzle loader has an octagonal barrel, this worked well and the red dot sight was mounted very low to the barrel. In this case, the setup works well as my natural position on the weapon isn't altered hardly at all.

With all of these optical sights, one keeps both eyes open when aiming and the field of view in that way is practically unlimited.

In a way, I hate to say all of this to you. Choosing and setting up a rifle is such a personal thing that what applies to one is often not considered important to another. And, everyone has their opinions -- I don't want to sound like I'm telling you what you should and should not do and I worry that I've already crossed that line. So again, just take what I said for what it is worth to you, whether that be much or little (or very little).

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Hey Rusty,

Lovely thunder-stick.

Lucky geezer... Congrats!

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

arshad_ahmad48
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by arshad_ahmad48 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:35 pm

if you want to sell it then call me up at *********** Please PM me [Edited. members are requested not to post personal contact info on the open forum. Exchange such details via PM ONLY. This is for your own safety]

or forward me your details
Last edited by mundaire on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mobile no. posted on forum
In business, being the first doesn't mean anything. Getting it right is the recipe that defines everything.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:25 am

Arshad

Pal take a number the queue is pretty long....although I am still looking for the post which alludes to any such intention

I was hoping you would indulge us members with some of your gun tales and photos of beauties from your parking lot.
Cheers