Rings in .22 rifle barrel

Posts related to rifles.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: bulge ? in .22 brno rifle

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:11 am

One ring can be caused by an obstruction.

Several rings next to each other, the ONLY thing I know that can cause that is multiple firings.
I see what you mean, Mark.

If Andy is using Indian made KF ammo then it's quite possible that something like what you describe could have happened.

Here's a pic of a bullet that I pushed out through one of the club Brno .22lr rifles. It is from a KF cartridge.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Would also like to know as to what is the max muzzle velocity ammo a brno mod 1 could safely fire.lets say anything beyond 1100 fps ( KF,LAPUA base ammo,ELEY CLUB) would probably damage the rifling etc?

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:58 pm

Andy,

Even though your gun may have a few years behind it, it is a quality rifle and I would have no hesitation in firing any modern 22 LR cartridge through it.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:23 pm

Fired my .22 brno mod 1 rifle today with KF ammo ,three groups five rounds each range 30 yards with a Swift Gopher 4x1.5 telescope managed groups of size 2,2.7 and 4 cm at that range. dont know correct group size for a .2 2rifle at this range but the variation in the group size is worrisome ,maybe bcause of inconsistent KF ammo or maybe the damage inside the barrel.The damage inside the barrel remains the same as earlier with no additional ring formation and no visible bulge outside.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:42 pm

Andy,

Whilst KF ammo is most probably the worst in the world, the fault could also lie with you, the shooter. Did you shoot off a bench, prone, free standing...???

Rimfires, like airguns, can be quite choosy about what ammo suit them best.

The question that should be asked is are the latest groups better or worse than the old groups shot with similar ammo at a similar range using a similar stance/method? Wind conditions are another major variable that needs to be considered when making a comparism.

You must also bear in mind that rimfires like airguns (again) need to have a bit of lead through the bore before the groups start closing up. If you have shot these groups soon after you cleaned the bore then they may not give an accurate assesment of the rifle's accuracy potential with KF ammo.

To answer you question whether the groups were good enough, the answer is NO but that does not necessarily have to be because of the rings in the bore.

If KF ammo is all you have, then you need to shoot more groups before coming to a decision. Would it be possible to put the rifle in a padded vice and test it for groups? That would remove the human element. At 30 yards, the rifle should be printing all five shots within 1 cm EDGE-TO-EDGE. That's what the BRNO Mod.1 is capable of provided you feed it the right diet and do your bit.

BTW, you may be a damn good shot but since I don't know anything about you, I have to factor in human error as well.

Mack The Knife

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:31 pm

Dear Andy,

I would strongly suggest that you do not make any modifications to the barrel of your BRNO without first grouping it.

Secondly it is perfectly safe to fire a 0.22 LR which has a bulge/ring and this phenomenon rarely makes a difference to the accuracy of the rifle can vouch for this from personal experience because my 0.22 LR Krico had a bulge and i have put quite a few rounds through them and my father(ex_army)has put a couple of thousands of free fauji ammo though the same rifle from 1968 onwards without any harm or loss of accuracy.

Bulges/rings usually occur due to dirt/residue/debris/firing multiple shots when the barell allready has a bullet lodged in it and even a large blotch of oil in case of a .22 rimfire.

Best

Vinayaka
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:23 pm

dear vinayaka i am quite with you infact am quite thankful to alot of other members who also recomended NO MOD job on the brno. it fires fine . in fact had also shown it to a number of my xperienced fauji armourers and they were quite praises for the brno cause as per them they have cleared even brnos with 6 to 7 rings/bulges for use in the forces.my brno has a ntimental value having been a family firearm used by my father earlier in his fauji days and now me.and of course it does its JOB well. however for eg it cant be fed hypervelocity ammo like CCI STINGERS as the barrel may not take that punishment. in fact i had requested CZ USA for a feedback on its max MV and they referred me to someone else - to sum it up some authority(forgot his name) suggested max MV not to exceed 1300 fps to avoid barrel damage.the IOF . 22 in that regard is superior capable of firing hypervelocity ammo also because of a better chromed bull brl design.thanks andy

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:48 am

The rings are hardly true bulges because they are rarely significant enough to be measurable and very rarely affect accuracy except sometimes if at the actual muzzle when the crown might be compromised. An actual bulge is a different matter however.
Club rifles are very often found with multiple rings - sometimes developed during the same session. What sometimes happens is that a `fizzer` lodges the bullet near the muzzle, the next shot knocks the first bullet out but itself lodges in the barrel and so on and do on. At other times the situation is as Marks says and a series of bullets are jammed in the barrel. In either case the result can be a series of rings progressing back towards the breech. The experienced shooter is almost always immediately aware when there is a lodged bullet because the report is completely different.......unfortunately inexperienced shooters tend to think that the reason that they have missed the target is because of poor shooting and carry on regardless. I once had to remove 6 ( SIX ! ) bullets from the barrel of a .22 semi-auto pistol because the idiot concerned just went on shooting regardless and ignored the range officers order to cease firing who had heard the very quiet reports. A direct result of using dirt cheap ammo in a £1200 gun. In that particular case the barrel was completely unmarked after the bullets were removed
.22 LR rifles/pistols CAN develope actual barrel bulges. Shooting is sometimes a black art and there are times when there is no logical explanation as to why something occurs one time but not another - even with the same or a similar gun, with similar ammo and similar circumstances. There is evidence to suggest that a partial blockage can be more damaging than a full blockage.......but nobody has come up with a conclusive answer as to why that should be.
Cheap ammo should be avoided. I`ve never had a bullet lodge in the barrel when using quality ammo but have had it happen when using el cheapo crap. I believe I told you Mack The Knife about a box of cheap .22 lrs in which several of the cartridges contained no powder whatsoever.
Mark might be confident enough to use a steel rod to attempt to drive out multiple bullets jammed in the bore but I find the concept pretty frightening when applied to some people........quite a lot of people in fact. I always allow for the stupidest common denominator and if the rod deflects into the rifling they can do some serious damage when using the hefty hammer required. I`ve seen what idiots are capable of and would therefore always suggest that a brass rod is used.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:37 pm

Grumpy";p="33142 wrote:I believe I told you Mack The Knife about a box of cheap .22 lrs in which several of the cartridges contained no powder whatsoever.
That's the first time I have heard of such thing, from you or anyone else for that matter.

I have retrieved a couple of bullets from the Brnos at my range and as you mentioned, there was a newbie behind the butt. Mind you those were KF rounds but fortunately, my club no longer stocks these.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:30 pm

Interestingly enough, a friend bought a Krico .22LR and noticed a ring half the way down the barrel a few days later. When he went back to the gun dealer he was told that " its a special ring made by the Krico company to INCREASE the velocity of the projectile :roll: ", the dealer also said that most Krico .22 s and some BSA .22 s have this special ring. :evil:

I have no heart to tell the truth to my friend .

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:18 pm

Liked that dealer style piece of advice!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:09 pm

Mmm.....No doubt, in a previous incarnation, that dealer was employed in selling ice to Eskimos.
There are some outragious crooks about aren`t there ?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:53 am

RP,

Name and shame the dealer.

Mack The Knife

denong
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

rifiling problem

Post by denong » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:50 pm

dear frens,
i happen to have a brno mod 1 in .22cal. it is very old and has fired a lot of rounds. now i have noticed that a ring is developing in the rifiling, may be about half a inch away from the tip of the barrel. some frens have told me that, this ring has developed due to firing of high velocity stinger cartidges. will it hamper accuracy?, or is the begining of the end of the rifle, please advice.

denong

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: rifiling problem

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:55 pm

denong";p="37506 wrote:dear frens,
i happen to have a brno mod 1 in .22cal. it is very old and has fired a lot of rounds. now i have noticed that a ring is developing in the rifiling, may be about half a inch away from the tip of the barrel. some frens have told me that, this ring has developed due to firing of high velocity stinger cartidges. will it hamper accuracy?, or is the begining of the end of the rifle, please advice.

denong
Hi Denong,

does the barrel have a slight bulge(sometimes almost noticeable) around the area of the 'ring'?

regards,
cc