My First rifle

Posts related to rifles.
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My First rifle

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:58 am

Congratulations Vikram,

I'd forgotten this was in UK... and I was wondering "whats this fool advertising his PB rifle for...." :mrgreen:

Shoot well and happy.

regards,
CC

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:15 pm

Oh my gawd what a lovely rifle. Congrats man, I am speechless by its beauty.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:43 pm

So, Vikram, when are you sending it to Gnib or whatever for a new stock?

:mrgreen:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:59 pm

dev";p="31337 wrote:Oh my gawd what a lovely rifle. Congrats man, I am speechless by its beauty.
Regards,
Dev
So how do you rate this then...

[Self Edited]

With due apologies to AR for pinching his pics without permission but THIS is what a classic sporter should look like.

It's a Type A Oberndorf Mauser.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Oh wow mind blowing Mack The Knife. Thank You for the wonderful pics. A mauser huh, is it shot regularly.

Really nice of you.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:26 pm

is it shot regularly.
I think so. I do know it has been to Africa and performed well.

I have zapped the pics - had second thoughts about posting the pics without the owner's permission.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:54 pm

You killjoy Dodger.
You`re a bitter, twisted and mean, mean man. :oops:
:twisted: :roll: :wink: :lol:

And anyway, THIS is what a PROPER Mauser based sporter looks like - and built on an FN, not an antique Obendorf action :

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:45 am

AND it will shoot the nuts off a Mosquito at 200 yards......At 100 yards it`ll take them off individually.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:46 am

Thanks very much each one of you gentlemen.

Sanjay, I intend to hunt Red Deer and Fallow Deer with it.

Rusty, I know the reason behind the question. I know one hermit, very good stock maker, in the back woods of NA.He will help me. :wink:

Grumps, is that the 30/06 Schultz-Larsen?

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:18 am

You`re welcome to the Red Vickers ( I don`t like the venison ).....but taking one will be an experience. You don`t have to go to Scotland for Red Deer as you can find them in plenty of places around the country - Cumbria, Northumberland, N.Yorkshire, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire, Hampshire, Somerset ( the Quantocks and Exmoor.......or even half a mile up the rod from where I`m sitting if you were able to wait long enough ) Devon ( Exmoor and Dartmoor ) and plenty of other places.
So why only Red Deer and Fallow ? What`s wrong with Sika, Roe, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer ?

Yes, that`s the soddit and leggit 30-06.
Still wearing its original stock after the episode with the ar*eho*e.......and it will be keeping that stock now.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:41 am

Wouldn't the .303 too much medicine for Roe or Muntjac Grumps? How much would a Red Deer cost around Somerset or Exmoor?

Gents, that Schultz & Larsen is a very nice rifle with a heavy barrel.I liked it a lot while at Grump's place.Nothing fancy but an absolute tack driver.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:02 am

I largely subscribe to the `no such thing as too much medicine` theory.......within certain limits - eg, using say, a 22-250 would just evaporate a Rabbit - however a 180 gr solid would flatten Roe and the Prvi Partizan 150 gr SP BT would do the same - and it`s cheap !
I know a dealer in N.Devon who used to be a professional Red Deer guide and still takes Reds on his own behalf - and possibly others - so I`ll email him later. I presume that you`re not interested in a trophy head which will cost megabucks anywhere ?
If I could get a second gun allowed on the land that I now shoot over it wouldn`t cost you anything......but that isn`t likely......and there aren`t any Reds. Roe, Fallow and - hopefully - Muntjac though. I do know of a `pay only for what you shoot` venue which is very reasonably priced quite close by however you`ld be very unlikely to get a Red there either.
Just remember that you aren`t guaranteed a kill - there`s no `potted` hunting where animals are released on demand. They`m all proper wild me boyo.
Mind you, upset a Red Stag and they can get really wild ! ....... Red Stags will attack people - and even Land Rovers - during the rut. 650 lbs of muscle with a pile of spears on its head is rather intimidating !

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:12 am

You killjoy Dodger.
You`re a bitter, twisted and mean, mean man.
Hardly. I like Vikram's rifle but I wouldn't have gone all gushy (is that a word?) over it.

As for your S&L, that too is nice but the bull barrel and lack of open sights spoils it for me.

Just guessing but Vikram is probably attracted to the idea of stalking Red deer in the Scottish Highlands, thanks to all the literature and reference made to this activity in various books.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:37 am

Ah, but you see Mack The Knife, I never use open sights and therefore don`t want the clean lines broken up by something I don`t need.
It`s not a `bull` barrel by the way but a heavy sporter profile. It`s designed as a long range hunting rifle which is what most useful hereabouts. A woods type rifle would be pretty useless here as the Deer are shot in the open when feeding. It is pretty heavy when scoped-up though.....pretty heavy altogether but I shoot it from prone or off my tripod.
I`m looking to get a lighter rifle but something that still packs a punch and am now considering having my .243 either rebored/rechambered or rebarrelled to 6.5x55 which would be just about the ideal multi-purpose rifle as far as I`m concerned.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:59 am

Grumpy,

I do realise that your rifle is very well suited for it's intended purpose (barring the weight) but that is not what I am refering to.

Dev went ga-ga over the looks of the Parker Hale and I found that rather odd because looks wise, there's a lot better out there.

I used to have a pic of a .416 Rigby but I can't seen to find it. If I am not mistaken it was the rifle that Robert Ruark gifted to Harry Selby. Damn, that was one superlative looking sporter as I recall.