AR-15; the progeny of genius.

Posts related to rifles.
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: AR-15; the progeny of genius.

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:48 am

Fri the 1st of Aug: After assembling the AR on Thu, we decided to head to the range to try it out. As is often the case with AR’s, Baljit could not resist adding on a few more goodies to the rifle before leaving. He added on a few more rails, top, bottom and side (more the merrier, who knows when one may need space to hook on a fish finder – right? :lol: ), a fore end grip and bipod.

We stopped off at a gas station on the way where we topped off the thirsty tank of the venerable Pontiac Grand Prix that was our ride for the day and filled up ice and some bottles of water in the cool box.

It was a gloriously sunny day, the roughly 17 km drive which takes normally about 25 minutes saw us crawling through the packed highway 97 and then later across some beautiful country, green, peaceful farms basking in the Sun. The abnormal rush on the highway was explained by the long weekend celebrating BC Day, where people, on motorcycles, in RV’s, Trucks loaded up with Jet Skis, Boats, Mountain Bikes, off-road motorcycles flocked from all over Canada to Kelowna. We spotted license plates from all over Canada/USA Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Washington etc., Lots of stuff happening in Kelowna this long weekend, among which is a Music Festival sponsored by none other than - Bacardi!

I almost said to Baljit - shall we follow these people and see what they are up to?

We reached the range about noon, signed in and hit the rifle range. There were two other gents finishing up at the bay, as soon as they were done, we set up the table with rifle, ammo, accessories and some bottles of chilled water.

Setting up the table at the rifle bay

Baljit with his toy

Me with Baljit's baby

The ammo consisted of American Eagle and some sorted reloads of various lengths. Baljit tried out the first shot, very safely and carefully with a single round loaded into the magazine; success the rifle boomed! He then loaded up a few rounds of American Eagle in a 10 Rnd Mag and proceeded to try out his baby.

Mixed results – firing was fine, lower action was fine, upper bolt extracting was the problem. After much pondering, staring, fingering and firing the AR we decided that some more adjustments were needed at the gas port and alignment. Decision made – we decided to move on to the pistol bay!

We packed up and trundled over the handgun area. Here is where Baljit tried out my Girsan 9mm…we also played a little bit with his GSG .22, 1911 and Para Ordinance 9mm, 1911

:cheers:
Last edited by ckkalyan on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:51 am

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:It is cool but also means my gun budget is shot for the next 10 years :D
At Summer BBQ: What did you buy this year? Me: The usual. Nothing ;)
Very, very nice - Droooooool is more like it! :D Congratulations Commonwealth_of_PA! :cheers:

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:09 am

TC wrote: CK Da, you must be having a gala time. Will wait for the pics :cheers:
TC
:D Yes indeed TC- quite a blast! :cheers:
sa_ali wrote:ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats ssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy deadly Bro, it takes my breath away. It looking so leathal which i am sure it is. Its amazing, lucky you CK, for holding it in hand.
Thanks sa_ali- at the moment holding this Black Rifle - but hopefully shooting it - in the near future? :D
brihacharan wrote:Hi Baljit, Awesome assembly Bro! Awaiting the range test reports eagerly....Have a 'blasting' week-end :D
CKK - The "See What I Got" look says it all!!!! Briha
Thanks BrihacharanJi! Just holding this mean machine says it all - huh? ROTFL :mrgreen:
Vikram wrote:Baljit, Excellent photo essay on the topic,Baljit. We learnt a few things here. Look forward to the range report. Are you getting Kalyan gorged on venison kababs, sausages and pickle? Best- Vikram
Now don't get me going on the feeding bit Vikram - I am beginning to feel and look like Obelix!! It is 'awesomeness' personified! :roll: Now I'll have to get back and start on my de-tox diet, all over again! :( But then that's later - much later, and 400 kms away!! ROTFL

Baljit with his 50 BMG veriosn BBQ, the absolute supremo in the grilling business!!

Baljit with his BBQ

Ribeye - with Baljit's experimental, Punjabi Marinade on the Grill

Grilled Cheddar Smokies - just a mere - appetizer!!

The Experimental Punjabi Marinade turns out so great - YUMMY - that Baljit has decided to standardize it for the future!

Juicy, Steaks, Plated
Last edited by ckkalyan on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:29 am

I fell in love with this grip ever since I handled a H&K PSG1 sniper rifle at an army facility.
When I saw the same on your new AR I was thrilled.

TC , these are very nice grips , I do have same grip on my 300WM sniper rifle.

Thanks sa_ali

Awesome assembly Bro!
> Awaiting the range test reports eagerly....
> Have a 'blasting' week-end :D
> CKK - The "See What I Got" look says it all!!!!

Thank you very much Briha ji, for sure CK had a blasting time here in Kelowna.

Did you change your mind on the barrel? That PROFILE looks different from the initial drawing that you posted
XL......... we already talk about this on the phone,I am going to replace this barrel in future.

Excellent photo essay on the topic,Baljit. We learnt a few things here. Look forward to the range report. Are you getting Kalyan gorged on venison kababs,sausages and pickle?

Thanks Vikram,I will post range report when every thing (I mean after I mount all the optic) mount on the gun.

Keep watching for further development !!
Baljit

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:49 am

Very nice!

I like the Daniel Defense upper, awesome choice!

I am a little surprised CK was willing to spend a day with a scruffy looking guy in satin green underwear :D

just kidding ;)

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Boy o Boy !!

Kanyan Da, Baljit ..... you had a great great time guys. However this time around I freaked out on the BBQ :lol:

The spread looks Yummmmmmy :D

The rifle looks great and I am sure the extraction problem can be taken care of in no time by Baljit.

Thanks for another lovely post

TC

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:30 am

That plate looks so delicious and professional that it will put a lot of fancy eating joints to shame. Serious salivation here. :cheers:

It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:40 am

amazing pictures TC and Bajit..I dont have the same rifle, or grill or nice stuff grilled definitely have the same serving plate lol!!

BTW AR 15 progeny the MI 4 US army rifle could be chosen as next Indian army rifle, they are one of the few rifles along with Israeli, Italian Beretta shortlisted for Indian army assault rifle..

Cheers

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:30 am

Hello friends,

Last week, I had a long chat with my gunsmith about the ejecting problem with my AR, with his guidance on the phone finally we found the problem.The problem is the gas tube is not long enough to shoot gas into the action. :?

Yesterday (Friday) I received other gas tube from my gunsmith in the mail and I replace old gas tube with new one. :o

Today, I had some free time and I decided that I should go to range and put other test fire on my AR with new gas tube.Guy's believe me with this long gas tube,my AR work's amazing. :D

I don't know how I can express my self here.Just take this "WOW"!! ROTFL

The Timney Trigger work's amazing,no creep,no over travel and it's only 3lb trigger pull.I fire around 60 rounds(of course some of my hand loaded ammo).All the ammo work's just fine. :D

Now,I am waiting for my scope and rings which I order last week as well,so I can mount on my AR.I do have Bushnell first strike red dot sight with 5 MOA dot, which I am going to mount on my AR at 45 degree angle for close range. :cheers:

Here is a couple of pictures for you guy's.

Enjoy.
Baljit

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:52 am

Wow Baljit so that was the problem? Anyway I am glad that you were able to sort out the issue by remote control...enjoy your AR! :D

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:36 am

Baljit, Its a good thing that it turned out to be such a simple fix. Its certainly a lot better than having to drill out the gas tube in the barrel.
Now you'll have to post some of your long range results. We are waiting eagerly.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:31 pm

xl_target wrote:Baljit, Its a good thing that it turned out to be such a simple fix. Its certainly a lot better than having to drill out the gas tube in the barrel.
Now you'll have to post some of your long range results. We are waiting eagerly.

For sure XL, it's very simple fix rather then drilling a big port in the barrel.

I don't think,I am going to shoot this for long range, as you know I do have a bolt action rifle which I use for long range.Once I have a scope, for sure I will post range report for all of you.I'll see if I can make video as well.

Baljit

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:18 am

Baljit
Congrats but why would gun come with a long tube? I mean is it a QA issue lucky you are an experienced shooter with access to great gunsmiths..does the company offer any advise? Just wondering

cheers

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:13 am

ngrewal wrote:Baljit
Congrats but why would gun come with a long tube? I mean is it a QA issue lucky you are an experienced shooter with access to great gunsmiths..does the company offer any advise? Just wondering

cheers
It happens Navi. AR15 parts are meant to interchange. Each part has certain measurements. Each part also has a tolerance for those measurements, you know + or - so many thousands of an inch. Sometimes these tolerances can add up. It is possible to end up with "stacking tolerances" which means one particular part might not work in one particular gun. Also, like me, Baljit built his gun out of parts purchased from different manufacturers, so there is no one manufacturer to go back to. While a manufacturer might warranty thier part, they will not warranty other manufacturer's parts.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:40 am

Hello Friends.

As, I write in my last post my AR works amazing and now it's time for the optics.I order scope and rings couple of weeks ago and finally, yesterday (Friday) I received a everything in the mail. :D

Also I write and post couples of pictures in my last post,I do have a Bushnell red dot site which I am going to mount on 45 Degree angle.And now I am going to post few pictures of the scope and rings for all of you guy's.

Here is a some info and few pictures for all of you.

Rings.
Precision Machined From Aircraft-Grade Aluminum Alloy with Anodized Black Matte Finish.
User Friendly Quick Detach/Lock Lever with Fully Adjustability to Fit on Any Picatinny Rail.
Clever Posi-Lock Cross Bolt Design and Spring Tension Controlled locking Plate with Insert Guarantees Most Secure Installation.

Profile...... Medium
Saddie Height.......15MM
Width................25MM
Tube Diameter......30MM
Max fit Obj.Dia.....60MM
Number of Screws....6

Scope.
Vortex Crossfire II 1x4x24 V BRITE.

Crossfire II Features
Fully multi-coated with anti-reflective coatings for brighter views.
Nitrogen gas purging with o-ring seals delivers fogproof,waterproof performance.
Shockproof construction withstands recoil and impact.
30MM diameter main tube with hard-anodized black matte finish.
Long eye relief with forgiving eye box.
Fast focus eyepiece.
Finger adjustable/zero reset turrets.
MOA turrets/reticles.
4x zoom range.

Here you guy's can see all the optics and rings for my AR.

I will post more pictures here when I am going to mount everything on my AR.

Enjoy.
Baljit