IOF 30-06 Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Post by Katana » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:16 am

Olly,

Good show though! Seems you have a perfectionist's 'keeda'! Now all I have to do is wait till mine comes along.

Katana
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:13 am

Ok, I had you wrong, so you filed down the (aftermarket?) screw heads to fit in the slots on the bases? hope you could tighten them ok? I think about 20inch /lbs on the torque should be just fine.I meant use some low strength thread glue on these screws.What scope are you planning to mount?
@ Katana
Yup, you'll need to open up the bolt and see if you can use some aluminum black from birchwood casey to blacken it...
I dont think you should have probs with the receiver...if snuggled up well, the warne mounts do an outstanding job and are strong enough to take this 30-06's recoil.The receiver should be good to go, so there.Good luck and keep on tinkering :P
Suggestion- Is it possible to get the receiver mount hole threads measure and matched with the warne thread? and recut the receiver threads to accept the original warne mounting bolts?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:54 am

eljefe,

Well, I haven'y got my rifle as yet. I'm buying it from Rajasthan and I'm in Gujarat. Maybe I should have it with me by end this week. First thing I'll work on the bolt handle. I just hate the unpolished look of the bolt. Will, of course, keep you posted provided I can figure out how to upload pics on my posts. :cry: Secondly, I was also wondering if the barrel can be made free floating. The problem is the two piece stock on this rifle. Have you given it a thought?

Katana
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 am

eljefe wrote:Yup, you'll need to open up the bolt and see if you can use some aluminum black from birchwood casey to blacken it...

For the last time,the bolts of both the 30-06 and the .315 IOF rifles are made of STEEL and not aluminium. :deadhorse:

Olly,your concerns are a bit misplaced.The IOF 30-06 is a copy of the Sauer 200 that also had an aluminium alloy receiver.The bolt locks into the barrel.I would not be worried about firing it.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:23 am

Doc,
So a dab of Araldite on the underside of the base (after rubbing the paint off) and a drop of Elfy / Fevikwick before I tighten the screw bolts - is it ?
Another thing... I don't think I would ever need to remove the bases because they do not hamper the view while using the standard open sights... the line of sight is absolutely clear...

Winnie,
It is a consolation that the IOF 30-06 is a copy of the Sauer 202. The concern is with quality control of the aluminium receiver. How good or bad it is made, will show when probably somebody blows his face ! Till then I do plan to use it... :)
My extremist views are fueled by the exploding KF brass shells which I have talked about earlier in the relevant threads. They are proudly made in India and you and I use them... the quality control / metallurgy are the things of concern there too... !!

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 am

Olly,

The bolt locks into rear of the barrel ie the bolt lugs engage in recesses in the barrel itself.So think of the bolt and the barrel as one unit when the rifle is loaded.When you fire,it is the chamber walls and the bolt that take the force of the ignition of the powder.The stress on the receiver is minimal as compared to what a conventional designed bolt action rifle receiver would experience.

If you are not comfortable firing it,why not sell it and get something else? I am waiting for the price to come down before I buy one of these.I can get one for about 1lakh now.Expect a further price drop as more come into the market.

I would also suggest replacing your IOF revolver with an imported Erma revolver ROTFL

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am

Olly, don't use standard loctite/ elfy to lock the screws, use removable threadlock in stead. BTW I have a large can of the stuff (removable threadlock) lying with me, can put some in a smaller container for you - should last you forever... :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:17 am

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Olly,
The bolt locks into rear of the barrel ie the bolt lugs engage in recesses in the barrel itself.So think of the bolt and the barrel as one unit when the rifle is loaded.When you fire,it is the chamber walls and the bolt that take the force of the ignition of the powder.The stress on the receiver is minimal as compared to what a conventional designed bolt action rifle receiver would experience.

I would also suggest replacing your IOF revolver with an imported Erma revolver ROTFL
I think the the bolt locks into the recess of the receiver and not the barrel. Look at the first picture on the previous page that I have posted. That receiver is aluminium.... so get the point ! I would love to stand corrected though...

Thanks for your suggestion about the revolver. I will decide and let you know. And yes, it is extremely hilarious !!

Abhijeet,
I wouldn't mind taking some of the stuff from you. Thanks !!

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 am

Olly,

Can you explain how the bolt locks into the receiver when the lugs are the same dia as the bolt body?

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:48 pm

Winnie-I stand corrected.I guess its a hangover from the early days when I heard about the bolt being aluminum...I was told its steel, but a steady loss of grey cells doesnt help! :?

Olly, DONT araldite the bases!! suggest you use tooth pics in the receiver holes, smear a thin layer of loctite on the bases, lower bases onto toothpicks which will serve as alignment guides onto the receiver.Then, a thin layer of loctite on each bolt, insert and tighten.DONT 'full strength' tighten...

Katana, Sorry no luck with 2 pc bedding.Lets see if Tworivers or some one else can help with that.
For starters, have the guard screws tightened to about 30-35 Iinch lbs with a torque wrench. Z375 says that the wood is pine and the action is not pillar bedded, so overtorquing the screws would chew into the wood!

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Olly,

Can you explain how the bolt locks into the receiver when the lugs are the same dia as the bolt body?
This one should have someone scratching their melon :?

-- Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:08 pm --
I think the the bolt locks into the recess of the receiver and not the barrel. Look at the first picture on the previous page that I have posted. That receiver is aluminium.... so get the point ! I would love to stand corrected though...
Olly,
If you look closer at the rifle's action you will see that the lugs interfere directly with corresponding recesses cut just forward of the chamber, the two receiver options that Sauer & Sohn offer in the 202 are steel and alloy (for the weight conscious) since there is no stress on the receiver I see no cause for concern in this regard. Its merely a guide for the bolt to lock up securely into the chamber recess, the only piece of metal making constant contact on the underside, with the bolt under normal operation, is the bolt-stop pin. Many folks screw up the bolt-stop pin by depressing the trigger and ramming the bolt backwards against it in an effort to clear the bolt from the receiver, like you would ordinarily with most bolt-action .22 LR's, completely ignoring the bolt-release plunger on the left-hand side of the rifle's trigger bow.
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Hey Zubin is THE man! Katana wants info on bedding the IOF 30-06.Any luck Zubin?

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:37 pm

I guess the best way would be to completely open up and disassemble the firearm and then work out the possibilties. However, I don't think I would do it at this stage. Of course, I would have to be completely familiar with the rifle before even thinking of loosening a single screw! :roll: Maybe a year of using it then one could think about it. But at some stage or the other I would like to pillar/ steel bed the action and free float the barrel. I'm sure all of us who have purchased it or are planning to would be able to exchange notes on this issue.

BTW, have fixed price for mine at 95K. Prices heading southward!

Would Zubin provide any inputs on free floating and or bedding?

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Katana,
Why do you want to bed the rifle?? Is it shooting way off?
My take on the bedding is simple, shoot the rifle with good ammo from a solid rest at 50 yards with iron sights and see how its holding up, if its shooting tight, great! Don't touch anything!! If not, then you will have to address issues like tightening up the receiver screws and the stock bolt and the forend bolt (this one has a pinch clamp which will thankfully limit the torque you can apply, this is a good feature as it'll save the threads from getting screwed! (pun intended) :mrgreen:

Bedding a rifle is not a cure-all for accuracy, sometimes they're bedded to create a chassis of sorts in an old stock where much of the oil-soaked wood has had to be cleared away in a effort to save the stock's originality and strengthen it in critical areas. The IOF is a real b**ch to glass-bed, ask me, cos I spent a few sleepless nights figuring out the prospective flow areas and scratched a bald spot in my head sussing out how many parts I wanted to do it in, the problem here will become alarmingly evident once you have to put things together once the epoxy is slathered on, this rifle does not bed like a conventional bolt-gun, the forend SLIDES ON and SLIDES OFF, trying to contain the epoxy is next to impossible and it has to be done in 3-4 parts slowly and with a lot of careful forethought and patience. You are risking mechanically locking up the metal to the wood and then you decide which is worth more, the wood or the action. The Sauer concept allows for the entire barrel to completely free-float from the receiver onwards, in most of the factory rifles you will find spots in the barrel channel that are making contact in a few places, clear the tights spots totally in the barrel channel and shoot the rifle again to evaluate the difference, also take a good look at the muzzle and very carefully inspect the crown, the crown in the IOF .30-06 looks like its been deburred with a hand tool, this detrimental to good accuracy.

All in all, if the rifle's shooting fine, just leave it be....old saying here....if it aint broke, dont find a reason to fix it!! :mrgreen:
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:01 pm

Olly wrote:Doc,
The concern is with quality control of the aluminium receiver. How good or bad it is made, will show when probably somebody blows his face ! Till then I do plan to use it... :)
My extremist views are fueled by the exploding KF brass shells which I have talked about earlier in the relevant threads. They are proudly made in India and you and I use them... the quality control / metallurgy are the things of concern there too... !!
Marlin has used aluminium receiver's for centuries; in fact my rifle has put thousands of rounds down range with a about a thousand Stingers with no hassle. So I don't think it is used in a way that it will satisfy your fantasy ever. ROTFL
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.