Winchester Model 70 Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:44 pm

Thanks Mark!
Ok,Ill take the measurements and send u asap
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

For Advertising mail webmaster
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Winchester Model 70 Rifle

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:27 pm

The rear sight is exactly like this

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:08 pm

Just a question Badshah. Why bother so much about the iron sights ? Why not fit a standard not very fancy Bushnell 3-9 x 40 or similar scope and zero it in ? This scope will be available in Dubai any time for Dhs. 300 odd ( Rs. 3,000 to 4,000 ).

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:43 pm

Dear shahid,
your suggestion is wonderful,but Iron sights is to maintain the orignality of the rifle,plus its very easier to shoot with iron sights in comparison to optic sights,( Specially at short range).
already it has a nikon scope mounted over it.
thanks ,
badshah
shahid";p="11774 wrote: Just a question Badshah. Why bother so much about the iron sights ? Why not fit a standard not very fancy Bushnell 3-9 x 40 or similar scope and zero it in ? This scope will be available in Dubai any time for Dhs. 300 odd ( Rs. 3,000 to 4,000 ).
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:27 pm

Badshah,

Here is a link to help you figure out what height everything needs to be:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/sight.aspx
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:52 am

shahid";p="11774 wrote:Just a question Badshah. Why bother so much about the iron sights ?
I have a custom Mauser with open sights alone and a receiver that is not drilled for scope mounts. It will never be. :D Likewise the 30-06 custom that I shall be ordering as soon as Waffenfabrik Hein start offering their new Mauser action.

I guess there will always be people who hunt with open sighted rifles and enjoy them. To each their own, but if a rifle has once had open sights then Badshah is right to want to restore it to it's original state. A fine gun in near new condition does beg to be restored to it's full glory. No harm in buying a scope for it. AT the same time, the sights too will not hurt the gun in any way.

Cheers!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:49 am

Don`t bother to bring either the Mauser or Hein over here then Mehul.......a 150 yard plus shot at a Roe or Fallow with open sights ? Don`t think so. You have to group three shots into 10cm @ 100 metres as a qualifying standard for Deer stalking. Standing - although you can use a stick.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:54 am

Grumps,

What if one shoots with a scoped rifle and/or a different rifle while appearing for the "test"?Not suggesting ways of beating the laws,just curious.Thanks.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:59 am

No problem Vickers - you can use a scope for the test........you would be expected to use a scope in fact.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:07 am

Grumpy, sorry I wasn't clear with my question.What if I shoot with a scoped rifle during the test and hunt without one? Will that be wrong,apart from ethical issues? Thanks.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:56 am

Grumpy,

Is that an offhand requirement or an off the bench one? If it is off the bench, I am confident that with my Mauser I could do it. If it is an offhand requirement, I just need to practice and try it. Who knows? I just might manage this...

Cheers!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:07 am

I doubt that there would be any problem if the shooting distances could be guaranteed to be short range and there is no legal requirement to use a scope however if you turned up for a days stalking with an unscoped rifle I very much doubt that the managers would allow you to use it.
What`s the problem with using a scoped rifle anyway ? There isn`t so much woodland or high seat shooting in the UK so most deer stalking is done at longer ranges.
Check out the Cowdray Estate Green Book which is interesting reading and a good guide:
http://www.deerstalking.co.uk/greenbookpart2.htm

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:31 am

It`s offhand Mehul - and standing - however you are allowed to use a stick or crossed sticks. The point being that you should be able to duplicate the requirement of shooting ability in actual circumstances. Taking a 100 plus yard shot without a scope would not be considered ethical.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:49 am

Grumpy,

Leave game out for now. I hope to be in Wisconsin shortly and shall work on shooting off shooting sticks at 100 yards (as close to 100 metres as is possible over here) with my Mauser and post pictures of the groups here. :mrgreen:

I have no intention of breaking rules or traditions anywhere and if I hunt in the UK, would probably come with a synthetic stocked Kimber 8400 with a scope on it. The rifle comes without sights anyway. But, it would be a treat to show how I can shoot with open sights and a rifle that was built to work with pre optics tech off sticks even with my Exophthalmopathy affected eyes. :wink: I do think there would be some who would be pleasantly surprised by the p[erformance.

Cheers!

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:17 pm

I guess it doesn't matter anymore, since Satpal_S has been banned, but I'll still go ahead and disagree with him. Although very unfortunate, it is indeed true that firearms can be ridiculously expensive in India.

My dad who lives in India, bought a Winchester model 70 (pre-64 action), built in 1937, a few months ago, and paid close to what Badshah's brother had to pay.

It came with a scope (I forget specifics) mounted on a Griffin and Howe mount, but I was able to get the Leupold VX-II 3-9X50mm for a good price through the Fish & Game club (also an FFL) that I belong to.

I have pictures and can post them if anyone is interested.

Mark and others, thanks for all the information on the model 70, this thread (apart from the crap Satpal was dishing out) has been very helpful.

Regards,
Naren