My First rifle

Posts related to rifles.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:43 am

Grumpy";p="31399 wrote: You killjoy Dodger.
You`re a bitter, twisted and mean, mean man. :oops:
:twisted: :roll: :wink: :lol:

And anyway, THIS is what a PROPER Mauser based sporter looks like - and built on an FN, not an antique Obendorf action :
Great looking rifle Grumpy, what scope do you use on it?
I take it that means you find deer no less than 200 yards away. Best of luck on the hunt.

Dev
p.s. and stop castrating mosquitoes ;-)
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: My First rifle

Post by Grumpy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:26 am

Either a 3-9x50, a 3-9x44 or a 3.5-12x44.
I`m now looking for a scope with good light transmision and an even smaller objective lens - just to lower the overall profile and weight. Not so important on this rifle but of some consequence with the more compact rifles.
Most shots are probably taken at 100-150 yards but I had to take the Fallow buck I had last year at just over 300 yards.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:33 am

Okay thanks for the infro. Would you use a Bushnell or go more high end?

Dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:53 am

I`ve given up using expensive scopes because the advances in lenses and lens coatings from Japanese, S.Korean and even some of the better Chinese scopes have advanced so much recently.
The Bushnell Trophy range are good value scopes. Their lesser range isn`t too clever though........and you can buy the same scopes but with a different label on them at much less cost.........................Not that I`d suggest that you bother with them either.
The new Nikko Stirling `Night Eaters` are really good value and very good.
Most Deben Hawke scopes are excellent value as well.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:57 pm

The new Nikko Stirling `Night Eaters` are really good value and very good.
I had one of these from new a couple of years back. They aren't exactly new kids on the block. Think it was a 2.5-10x40.

The optics were clear and the side focus knob easier to use than having it at the objective bell but the shape of the objective bell is such that it is difficult to cover the lens. Just about managed it with Butler Creek Bikini lens covers. The other problem is that the reticle also got magnified as you increased the magnification. Not sure if they addressed this problem. These were made in China even then, rather than the Phillipines.

I quite liked this scope and had I not needed the dosh, it would probably still be here.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:46 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,

I quite like my Center Point mini scope 6X32. But I can't understand the need for illuminating the mil dot in green and red, besides showing off with it. Doesn't do anything in the dark, if you can't see the target, how does the illuminated reticle help.

Dev

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:35 pm

I quite like my Center Point mini scope 6X32. But I can't understand the need for illuminating the mil dot in green and red, besides showing off with it. Doesn't do anything in the dark, if you can't see the target, how does the illuminated reticle help.
Is it just the one mildot in the centre or a regular mildot reticle? If it's the former, it's one of my favourites. The latter, I grew to dislike after two or three scopes in that flavour.

In India, mildot reticles are of almost no earthly good because you cannot hunt and neither do we have FT or HFT. However, in a country like the U.K. such a reticle is used by the FT and HFT shooters for bracketing the target and getting a pretty good estimate of the range. Airgun hunters also benefit a bit from such a reticle because of the loopier trajectory of a pellet leaving the muzzle at sub-12 ft.lbs.. The mildots or the space between them can then be used as an aiming point for different ranges.

At night the scope can still draw in a reasonable amount of light but a black reticle on a rat hiding in the shadows can be very difficult to see. At times like this an illuminated dot in the centre is very helpful.

Just make sure you turn the rheostat down to the minimum required or else you will get too much flare.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:55 pm

Its the latter one Rusty. I might have to turn it down a little. But its very easy to hit anything with at close range 10 to 15 m. Long range I'll try out on the weekend.

Dev.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:43 pm

dev";p="31512 wrote:Long range I'll try out on the weekend.
Dev.
Don't blame the scope if you miss.... :mrgreen:

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

First rifle

Post by sat » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:24 pm

very nice vikram, congratulations..

sat

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:07 am

Thank you Sat.

Rusty, may I have a bit more of the pics deleted?Can you email them to me please?

Oh, I have always imagined what it would be like to hunt in the Highlands.

Grumps, you know that I am not a trophy hunter.Your help most appreciated.Not fixated on Reds but they look great.

We once were chased by a massive Chital/Spotted deer in a deer park.They can be very aggressive.Oh, we saved our hides by jumping over the fence.We were armed with a camera,y'see.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:18 am

Ah, a nasty weapon the telephoto lens camera.

Sarcasm aside, many of the older Mauser sporters were/are lovely - the Rigbys in particular. The stocks tend to have a little too much drop for comfortable use with a scope but that`s not what they were designed for. And multiple, fixed - `Express` type - sights are much more useful in the field than adjustable sights.........they do require regulated loads however. They make nice Wild Boar rifles for woodland conditions......as do the Mannlicher Schoenauers. Not long range rifles though.

I detest `mil-dot` reticles......illuminated or otherwise. Useful for FT types - although they tend to use dedicated reticles nowadays - and the military I suppose.
An illuminated centre dot or centre cross is useful in low light conditions such as at dawn or dusk when it can be very difficult or even impossible to see the centre dot ( or cross ) against a dark background. They should be used with the minimum amount of brightness so that they are visible but don`t put too much light into the eye which would cause whatever you are aiming at to darken to the extent that it is barely - or not at all - visible. Illuminated reticles are also very handy when lamping for Foxes or Rabbits in full darkness.

The built in sunshade on the `Nighteaters` is useful but a real pain when trying to fit lens covers as you say Dodger . I also managed to get one to fit......probably a Butler Creek as well, but found that it didn`t seal properly as I discovered when I used the scope in damp conditions and it had allowed the lens to mist up.
Mine is a 1" tube 3.5-10x42 I`ve now found after checking. It doesn`t magnify the reticle when upping the Zoom by the way......although I tend to set my scopes to a fixed magnification and leave them that way so it would hardly matter.
The `Nighteater` range has been around for a while now as you say.
Chinese optics/coatings are improving all the time and its quite amusing how many reviewers, after preparing to be dismissive, have found that the better examples out-perform much more expensive American ( in particular ) scopes that are only a couple of years old. Better than top quality European scopes even of just a few years age as regards light transmission.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:02 am

Very nice rifle. I'm always inclined towards sporter versions of military rifles. My fav is a Springfield 1903-A3 in 30-6 I saw once, a Mauser would be good too ;)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:10 am

Rusty, may I have a bit more of the pics deleted?Can you email them to me please?

Will do, Vikram. Though I am quite certain you have seen it on AR. Belongs to a bloke from Hyderabad who now resides in the U.S.. You know him or atleast of him...
Mine is a 1" tube 3.5-10x42
Come to think of it, that is what I had as well. Tried searching the Airgun BBS for my initial review on this scope but could not find it - probably packed off to Internet Valhalla to make way for newer posts.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:33 pm

Thanks Sharief.

Thanks Rusty.Now I get it.I did not see it on AR.Beautiful rifle in deed.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."