Original Oberndorf Mauser Type A in .30-06

Posts related to rifles.
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Original Oberndorf Mauser Type A in .30-06

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Mack The Knife: I really doubt that any off-shelf Mauser stock available in the US would be inletted to fit an Original Oberndorf Mauser sporting rifle. Not a chance. So a wood stock would require either inletting, or glass-bedding to fill the gaps. Things you wouldn't be able to do with the Hogue. Cheers.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Two Rivers I had the same doubt initially but after reading that rifles built on large ring Mauser actions were virtually dropfits, I decided to get one, provided the measurements given tallied with mine.

There was another site that gave the c-t-c distance between the action screws on the Hogue stock but I am unable to find it.

I think it's best I e-mail Hogue and also ask on the Mauser forum at nitroexpress.com

Is there any particular reason that is creating doubts?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Rusty
If you can get hold of some good Walnut blanks,why not try getting one made locally,dont know about down South,but up North there are a few guy's who do a good job.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Sanjay,

That wouldn't work as I refuse to entrust my guns to anyone. Particularly an Indian 'gunsmith', with the probable exception of Bobby Sidhu.

I hate election time!

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Mack The Knife: drop-in stocks for the large-ring Mauser are made to fit the military barrel profile, which is quite different from that of your sporter. The K98 has a stepped barrel profile; and "large-ring Mauser" in the case of US drop-in stocks means the K98. Cheers.

dodger
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dodger » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:28 pm

its a real beauty..good1.
Guns are Good ;)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 pm

TwoRivers: This is what it says on Midway USA -
Barrel Profile: Standard sporter, not stepped for military barrel
Please note: This stock will not fit a M48 Mauser. It will, however, fit a K98 Mauser (provided the action has a sporter barrel)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=480661

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:53 am

I know, Mack The Knife. However, the quoted "standard sporter" is not the original Mauser sporting barrel profile, but an US "standard sporter" profile (whatever that may be). Work will have to be done on the barrel channel. While some US barrel makers make barrels with similar contours, there is no standard, except the maker's. Cheers.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:25 am

TwoRivers,

As I recall, the Hogue would accept an Adam & Bennet barrel in #2 and #3 profiles. Will try looking for the link again.

Thanks.

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:26 am

Supposedly http://www.e-gunparts.com/dept.asp has some walnut stocks for large ring mausers. Saw an ad in last weeks Shotgun News. The blanks were contoured to a sporting barrel. The action was inletted using laser measurement and supposedly is a drop in. You would have to do the barrel channel. Will scan the ad for you this weekend. Sportorized mausers and there aint no true drop in ever...
On second thoughts why do you want to take the trouble of doing that and answering all these posts? Let me help you by taking it off your hands! :lol:

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:08 am

Hi Raustam,
Scanned the advertisement. Would need to email them to you. Do not have your email address.
Regards,
Kragiesardar

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:37 am

Kragie,

Numrich do not accept credit cards from India. However, I'd like to see what the ad says. PM sent. Thanks.

Like one of the members on NE said, on the Mauser thread, there is a similar one in as good, if not better condition, available in the U.S.. Since you are keen on having one, why don't you contact this person. I don't know him but if you like I could ask him to contact you. This, assuming Don S hasn't already bought the rifle.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: I am more interested in a synthethic stock as I want to explore the viability of fixing a scopemount to the stock.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:43 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="65816 wrote: P.S.: I am more interested in a synthethic stock as I wont to explore the viability of fixing a scopemount to the stock.
Drill and tap it for a scope mount :mrgreen: In the Indian context,will only improve it's value.So what have you decided about the stock? From what you told me,you have a very competent gunsmith in your part of the woods. Perhaps he can make you a stock?

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:03 am

Hi Raustam,
I can charge it to my credit card and have it shipped. You may want to talk to them first to make sure it is what you want. Will be in India in April and you can mail a check to my India office.
Regards,
Kragiesardar

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:45 pm

PP: Sod the Indian context and its higher value! I am not sure if Guna (the bloke who worked on my Brno SxS) works with wood tp the extent of actually making stocks. If I have to get a stock made in India, I would only entrust the rifle to Bobby. All the other stocks I have seen by reputedly good stock makers from Kolhapur and Delhi are no where near what I have seen of Bobby's work on the IOF .315

After Two Rivers' warning I am still undecided on what to get though one person on NE has said the action would fit after some minor modifications. In my case it would be for the floor plate should I decide on the Hogue.

Just checked at NE and it appears he had tried a Butler Creek stock. Here's the link - http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat ... Post125445