Winchester Model 70 Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Winchester Model 70 Rifle

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Hi everyone!

My elder brother bought this .3006 Winchester Model 70 rifle few days back from delhi.Condition is A++(99%).for Rs ******(Plz comment on price).
Exactly not sure about the model may be Standard, Sporter Model.

I need to know from where can i get its both Sights (rear & front) It has a William Guide Open Sight.need front sight ( just the bead) not the entire ramp and well as the rear ( leaf or blade whatever one may call it ,together with the ramp), exactly the ones that has been used by Winchester Factory for my rifle.
The rear sight is made of alloy.Can I also get the leaf for the rear sight without the ramp.I can then order for a couple of rear sight leaf also.As one of my friend hav same rifle,he needs them.

Also I need to know if the William Ramp sights fits all Winchester Rifle or different calibers have Sights of different dimension.A friend of mine has a Winchester Model 70 chambered in .375 Magnum which uses the same kind of sight but it is slightly bigger to the one on my rifle.

Experts Help Needed Urgently.
Plz reply,
Badshah
Last edited by badshah0522 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
sudhakardm
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sudhakardm » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:45 am

Gun looks good, but price is too much isn't it? good luck.
sudhakar
Thanks
Sudhakar

 SAVE TREES

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:30 am

Forgive me for taking this OT,but can some one please tell me why I do not see the pictures even when I am logged?Thanks.

Badshah, the price gives me a minor heart attack.

Re the sights, Mehul and Mark should be able to help you.All the best.

-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Winchester Model 70 Rifle

Post by Mark » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:33 am

Badshah,

Can you PM me the serial number? There were a few different ones, but I think the main difference is the spacing of the screw holes. However, I am not by any means an expert on sights!

Am I correct in understanding the sight bases are intact, but you need the post for the front (mounted on a dovetail) and also the leaf on the rear sight?

Sorry to trouble you for the clarification.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:37 am

Congrats badshah..sticker shock...$10000ish..just to put things is perspective a Merkel or kreighoff
Enjoy..

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:32 am

Is that pic of the actual rifle or taken from a website?
Congrats badshah..sticker shock...$10000ish..just to put things is perspective a Merkel or kreighoff.
Scary, isn't it, Navdeep? What would a new example in the U.S. cost? $700'ish?

Mack The Knife

shahid

Re: Winchester Model 70 Rifle

Post by shahid » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:48 pm

This would cost not more than $ 1100 in the US for a new one. A 2nd hand one of this vintage anything from $ 200 to 400.

Will the Government wake up ? When every common criminal is toting Aks these days why are Indian Citizens coughing up astronomical amounts like Rs. 4.5 Lacs for Rifles like Winchester model 70. This is disgraceful really. A law that encourages criminals to prosper in their trade.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Someone better send this post to Winchester corp-They'll probably fly down a cargo of M 70's by the next fllight! What a rip off!!
Couldnt believe I was reading the numbers correctly!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:44 pm

I thought they had stopped making the 70's as off 2005/06.

You are right though, if they could export it for even 1/4 the current Indian prices, they may just start up again. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:50 pm

Lets hope they can be spurred onto seting up tooling and a factory here...

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:55 pm

Wake up, Asif!

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:57 pm

Better to dream on, at times!

Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:07 pm

Blunt answer from Satpal the Jat, no offence to nobody!

Gapp-baji gone to the extreme. That is it folks.

Copied picture from website, actual rifle has missing sights, as said by poster.

Hunting is banned, cannot hunt with 30-06.

Only reason somebody would buy 30-06 would be to target shoot, .22 decidedly better and cheaper. 30K for IOF and 80K for BRNO from private party.

Self protection too, revolver/pistol lot better for 60K+.

No reason to spend ???????+++++ for rifle.

A Winchester is not even best grade, so no snob (Phad) factor too. Rifle is not in best shape, missing sights. Seems like a rifle coming from storage.

Lets not waste time on speculating.

My suggestion, if rifle has been bought for ??????+++ for snob factor. Top it off with a 20K scope and it may be a nice get together talk firearm with exxegerated tales of it's capabilities.

Don't hunt iron sights for it!

Winchesters are discontinued in US, mint condition pre-64 Mod 70(Collector value) are offered by private parties in 30-06 frequently for 600-800USD. New ones (Post 1964) will not fetch $300 used.
Remington 700 BDL (Iron sights) sells new at Wal-Mart for $ 600 and 700 ADL sells for $ 400 with scope. Tons of other domesrtic and imports too on the cheap.

However, I am not wasting anymore time in this Guppbaji session.

Surprised every body fell for it! A jat can see through it all.

Satpal

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:40 pm

Surprised every body fell for it! A jat can see through it all.
Jeez...Satpal's the only one with a brain in the entire group!!! :roll:

Did it ever occur to you, Sherlock, that he may have posted a pic off the net because he does not have a pic of the actual rifle?
However, I am not wasting anymore time in this Guppbaji session.
Cheerio! Shut the door on the way out.

Mack The Knife

Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:18 pm

I might be living in the US but have scores of friends in India who own firearms. Am very familiar with what sells for what.

Can spot BS easily when I see it.

The only reason firearm prices are so high in India is because nobody knows what to pay.

When people spread rumors (Gapp) of prices paid, it is everybody's duty to stop them. Otherwise we spread ignorance. Somebody pays with real hard earned money for ignorance.

As said by Mack The Knife:

"Did it ever occur to you, Sherlock, that he may have posted a pic off the net because he does not have a pic of the actual rifle?"

My answer:

I doubt, if the rifle was even bought actually, as the fairy tale says it was.

Re: Coping Rifle picture of the net. Let the smart copier Google for Used Winchester parts. Sights should be a breeze to find. Scores of dealers sell them. Sights are unrestricted parts, can be shipped freely.

Have them mailed to Dubai or whereever else he is and send/bring them to his brother or whosoever claims to have bought the Gold Covered Rifle.

Simple end of discussion.

Satpal

PS:Next time I buy another Air Pistol, I will post price for it too. Instead of $175. what I am paying for the next one, I will post $600. My kinda BS.
Last edited by Satpal_S on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.