Holland and Holland 30 Super Double Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:48 pm

Mehul, I shot off a mail to Guntrader.co.uk Lets see their response.

Asif, can we be privy to the pictures of your double?If that is not too much of asking. :D

Best- Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:41 pm

Vikram wrote: Asif, can we be privy to the pictures of your double?If that is not too much of asking. :D Best- Vikram
You can see them at yahoo groups. See album Asif's Jeffery 450/400 J.

Quite a rifle :wink: :)

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:11 pm

Mehul/Vikram

Thanks for all the info.Will try to find a rifle that I can get familliar with first. Have no plans of being an interesting anecdote on some hunting forum :) .Considering that it took me almost two years in finding a pistol in good condition at a cheap price,the hunt for a rifle is going to be more adventurous than the hunt itself,whenever that may be.I am very sure that if I go with my pockets full of money I would be able to get a good rifle easily, but I am a cheapie and will not pay the fabulous sums demanded by dealers here. Nor will Missus ever forgive me for spending money that would have been better spent, for eg. on buying some more jewellry. Already my pistol is going to cost me more than its original price in buying something for her in 'the girls best friends'. Total waste of time and money if you ask me. She is also against taking any life.Wonder where she thinks her shoes and bags come from?

Before I get the right tools,talking about the Safari is going to be like an Eunuch talking about getting a girlfriend :lol: And by the time things fructify the costs might have changed considerably.Just wanted to know if anybody had the info.

Take care,
penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:16 am

[quote Before I get the right tools,talking about the Safari is going to be like an Eunuch talking about getting a girlfriend :lol: And by the time things fructify the costs might have changed considerably.Just wanted to know if anybody had the info.

[/quote]
penpusher I got my buff in 1996.Place was near Sun city/Palace of the Lost city hotels in South Africa.1500 USD for the licence alone.
Weapon was cz-458 Win Mag.For the record, it took 2 days and 2 shots, used 510 gr solids i think.No, the buff didnt charge..

Mehul has the right links for 2006!
You'll have to wait till sep when I plan to go to Bangalore and pull out all the outfitter details.I'm sure costing has changed considerably.

Your plea for a heavy rifle echoes our sentiments-try the link Jonah provided in for sale section-indian shooting.com-there'a a 458, 375 and ?306 (may be a typo) for sale in coimbatore.

Woul'dnt encourage you too much for an exotic caliber -A 458 Win Mag plain jane is not much to write home about, (or post) :oops: kicks brutally, :twisted: but will knock most, if not all animals on this planet dead.Ammo is fresh-the local scalper may give it to you cheaper than 500 rs / round :P

Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:21 am

Asif,

I just saw your Jeffrey.Looks like a solid well made rifle.I am sure once Mack The Knife does his magic on it, it looks even more handsome.How are the bores? Any rust or pitting?And any chance of pictures of you with your buff in the buff? :twisted:

Tsk Tsk, Mack The Knife, is that you behind the gaping twin bores?You look adequately scary behind it. :wink:

Best- Vikram

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:54 am

penpusher,

A hint - some years ago I saw some very nice JGA Mauser rifles on sale in India in 375 Mag. Johan knows of some made in the even bigger 416, 505 etc. JGA was J G Anschutz, the grandady of the company that now produces piddling small bores and rimfire rifles and whose Chairman hunts with an Ed Brown Model 702. :lol: The original pre war Anschutz bolt rifles were fantastic and they do not command as good a price as other brands do in India. If I remember right, the 375 that Sammandan offered at the time was for Rs 40,000 and he had no offer. If you look, you just might find a nice big bore Anschutz for sale at a price that you won't have to worry about.

Best wishes and hope you find one soon,

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:39 am

Vikram wrote:Tsk Tsk, Mack The Knife, is that you behind the gaping twin bores?You look adequately scary behind it. :wink:
That is Arif Karate Kid Ali. Ugly bug*3r, isn't he? :mrgreen:

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:59 pm

Mack The Knife Bana wrote:That is Arif Karate Kid Ali. Ugly bug*3r, isn't he? :mrgreen:

Looks like a formidable man.The DB well accentuates the message. :wink:

Best- Vikram

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:25 pm

Vikram wrote:Looks like a formidable man.The DB well accentuates the message. :wink:
On the contrary, he's more teddy bear than sensei.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:42 am

penpusher, BTW, I have a few pictures of a stunning .416 Rigby bolt action rifle by Hartmann & Weiss.It belongs to a gentleman on a different forum who sent them to my personal mail. Mehul, you may know the rifle. If you like to see it, shall post the pictures. :wink:

Gentlemen, you have to see to believe the incredible quality of the workmanship of this beauty.

Best- Vikram

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:56 am

Vikram,

I would indeed love to have a look at the pictures of the Hartman und Weiss - though they are Ex Purdey gunmakers and are not quite SUhl people as they are based in Hamburg, though no one would deny that they are among the finest gunmakers in the world.

They also make double rifles on the Purdey Back Action sidelock design - probably the only company in the world to do this though in the past another German company also imitated the Purdey design - the now defunct Immanuel Meefert company.

I'll look forward to this and I am sure so would all other members.

Best wishes and thanks again for these goodies that you keep bringing to our group,

Mehul

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:38 am

Here we go Gents the marvelous Hartmann et Weiss.

The bolt action is a .416 Rigby calibre.

In the white...

Finished rifle....

Just look at the way the wood and metal fit together,the beautiful checkering, the finesse with which the action and barrel put together and the flow of the lines.Incredible quality.:shock: :shock:

This is a single shot falling block...

H&W shop in Germany

These rifles belong to a gentleman from Germany who was very keen to share these pictures with me.

This is the quality gentlemen, one day I hope to lay my hands on.Till then :cry:

Mehul, much of what little I learnt about guns, I owe to you, directly and indirectly.

Best- Vikram

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:30 am

Vikram,

You at least can think of getting a rifle like this,we in India cannot even dream of doing that.Beautifull guns.So far I have no seen a gun like that here.Not even once. I am sure that if import is allowed again , there would be people buying such guns and bringing them into the country. Considering the amount of money paid for even ordinary firearms,people do have the capacity to pay for quality weapons.The only problem is that no such guns are available in the country.Recently met a frllow selling a .32 W& Scott rev.He was behaving as if he had something very valuable and unique to sell.During the course of the conversation he wanted to know how much it would sell for internationally.He was speechless on being told that the price there would be a couple of thousand rupees at best.We in India have become so used to payinga couple of lakhs for handguns that even the junk manufactured by the IOF seems good value for money at 57,000/- :evil: :cry:

Take care,
penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:29 pm

Vikram,

Thanks for the pictures - there is no doubt that Hartmann und Weiss make some of the finest rifles in the world. Incidentally the Falling Block is the Hagn design - they are good friends and HArtman und Weiss and MArtini und Hagn share components and work together. Though H&W don;t have a website, the other group does http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/ ... alinfo.htm

The unique thing about the Hagn action is that it has no screws and is assembled in a pre set order. Also the Falling Block is a 577 Rewa, perhaps the only round designed by an Indian, the Maharaja of Rewa and it is a 600 NE case necked down to 577.

penpusher,

It is my hope that we shall fight the injustice being done to India's law abiding shooters and someday have the right to own guns again. This is the 150th Anniversary of the Revolutionary War of 1857 after which the world's first gun control laws were enacted in India. Maybe this is the time to take inspiration from out forefathers and fight the new tyrants - considering that the Congress who banned gun imports and restricted ownership are our masters now?

Cheers,

Mehul

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Thanks Vikram,
Its really very difficult to describe a beautiful 'mental' objet de art of M/s Harmann et Weiss, translated to its pristine , manifestation..
Had an experience similar to penpusher's yesterday-went to a gun shop here in Delhi-Mostly loaded with 12's ranging from Baikal O/U to Dwarka fiber pistol grip shorty 12's to a lone pump.
Not being much of a shotgun man, eye fell on two 'wrapped in polythene' rifles-Asked to see them
1.BSA-30/06 plain jane with a williams sight.3 lacs :lol:
2.BSA 315-enfield action,scoped, with an ancient 2-6 scope, on early pattern QD mounts-"original BSA , will fire the Indian 315, which was copied from this." asking price-1.75 lacs :lol:
3.Charles Lancaster 12 -30 " barrel-dubbed self opening.Very well maintained gun.Has been reblued once.90K
4.Walther CO2 version of the cp99, in the box-16k
Managed to get a couple of snaps of the lancaster, action open without the fore end and not falling into 2.Will post later.
Looks like IFG must set up a foreign fund and pick up classics -1 each of Double heavy-Obviously first, shotgun, hand gun-so that visiting members can atleast have a an out of body experience -at in in body prices,for perpetuity!
:lol: :lol:
best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."