Remington XCR 375 H&H

Posts related to rifles.
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Remington XCR 375 H&H

Post by herb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:51 am

I have a Remington XCR in 375 H&H. I am very fond of this rifle as its a very accurate, and recoil is manageable in spite of the light weight (7 5/8 lbs), may be because of the Remington R3 recoil pad. Then there is the TriNyte corrosion resistant coating & Hogue synthetic stock making it a fine all weather rifle. But it’s Push-Feed
I keep reading about the advantages of Control Feed and sometimes feel like getting rid of this rifle & getting a CZ 550 or Win 70 (if I can find one at a reasonable price). I tried feeding this rifle from all positions (upside down, sideways etc.) and it fed accurately, never had extraction or ejection problem with this gun.

Should I allow this rifle being a push-feed bug to Me.? If it had been any other caliber like 30-06, 270 or even 338 I would have been ok. Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Herb

For Advertising mail webmaster
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Remington XCR 375 H&H

Post by herb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:24 am

Correction - Should I allow this rifle being a push-feed to bug Me ?
Added another image to personal gallery...

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:29 am

Herb,

The CRF-PF debate has been on for almost since the bolt action was invented and there are strong supporters of both. IMO the only members here who have the experience to advise you on this are Mark and Grumpy. If you have any concerns I think you should visit www.nitroexpress.com or www.accuratereloading.com and do a search in their discussion archives.

Personally, I have been very disappointed with some wood stocked Remington 700 rifles that I have seen in several different stores in different states as the action and barrel to stock fit showed uneven gaps in every new rifle I have seen. I don't even bother to look at Remingtons in stores that I visit these days for this reason. However, with a synthetic stocked rifle, I can't see why you should have the kind of problem that I saw on the wood stocked ones.

I also have some minor experience shooting wood stocked 700s in 375 - two different rifles belonging to one of the nicest people I know, Ernie Stalman who owns Badger Barrels, and my experience was that they were a bit of a pain to load compared to a Mauser type bolt action, though that could well be because the bolt action rifles that I am most accustomed to are Mausers and Lee Enfields. Remingtons are usually very accurate (though I have no idea how the new wood stocked guns shoot - their fit did seem like a bad recipe for accuracy) though, again, your rifle should be fine being synthetic stocked.

If you're going to hunt dangerous game in Africa, I guess, you could follow conventional wisdom and buy a CRF rifle or get one built. Otherwise, I doubt you'll have any problems with what you have.

Cheers!

PS I had a very bad experience with Remington 8mm MAuser ammunition but that is a different story altogether.

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:09 am

Thanks Mehul, I am regularly visiting Nitro Express & Accurate Reloading forums after you directed me to these sites during my Mauser conversion post. The knowledge of the people on these forums is amazing. There are plenty of posts for & against both the actions, some (and only some) of them I feel (I could be wrong) could be possibly biased by plenty of articles in hunting magazines on this subject. I just thought it would be interesting to get opinions from people back home that could share their personal experience and are not over exposed to CRPF & PF theoretical debate in print. I know there are plenty of folks back home who own Remington's & may have some good/bad experiences.

I personally am not fond of Remington actions & prefer pre-64 Winchester 70's & of course Mauser’s. I bought this XCR rifle on an impulse due to the light weight & weather proof construction and of course it was in the legendary 375 H&H , I some how started liking it after shooting it a few times.

Is Saeed of AR related to Sheikh Ahmed Hasher Al Maktoum (Olympic Gold medalist from UAE). I remember seeing Sheikh Ahmed at the Arab Hunting Exhibition in Dubai in the Beretta booth.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:58 am

Herb,

Some of the recent Winchester 70s have had handles coming off because they soldered them onto the bolt bodies. That is, partly, the reason why Winchester closed down their oldest plant at Connecticut and decided to move Model 70 production - depending upon which rumour you believe - either to China or to Portugal. The original pre 64 Winchesters were good rifles but they were not a true Mauser action and were not as good, in the opinions of experts like Jack Belk, Tom Burgess and a host of others as the unmodified 1898 Mauser action was.

BTW Remington now have a true Mauser action in their 798 series of rifles, with the actons coming from Zastava in Serbia, where they are made on the machinery that FN sold the Yugoslavians when they stopped making Mauser rifles in the 1950s.

And Saeed is Ahmed's elder brother - Ahmed does post occasionally on AR. From what I have heard, Saeed is a better shot - he was Champion of the Americas some years ago at Vandalia.

Cheers!