Which imported .22 rifle should I get.

Posts related to rifles.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Which imported .22 rifle should I get.

Post by Vikram » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:28 am

NivDhillon wrote:HI Vikram,
I like the gun you suggested and will try to get it endorsed on my FAC. I currently have permission for .22, .223/5.56, 7.62/.308, .357/38 and a separate Shotgun Certificate. I looked at their data table and the calibers they do are (.222 Rem..; .30-06; .308 Win.: 7x65R; 7x57R; 6,5x55SE; 9,3x74R; 8x57JRS; 7,62x53R) which of these calibers should I get, in terns of ammo availability in india. .222 Rem I think should be a problem. will the .30-06 be the same as you get in India, how about the 8x57JR is that the same as the .315. you suggest please.
My wife is also moving to India with me (thank god) so I was thinking of getting a 12 bore beretta silver pigeon on my wife's name. Although I have to get a shotgun license on her name in India. It's a bit difficult but with a bit of luck and pull I should be able to manage that.
I know you said that it should be easy to get a decent .22 in India. I hope you dont mean the IOF. coz thats awful, in fact all of them are. The only decent IOF rifle is the .30-06.
I was keen on bring a .22 because thats my favourite rifle, I think its also very practical for India.
Regards
Niv
I would suggest 12 bore+.30-06 barrel sets.Ammo for .30-06 is very easy to procure.Remember, the spare barrels must be purchased along with the gun and the original receipt/bill must mention that.

The 8X57JR is not the .315 IOF. The latter is the 8X50R Mannlicher.

With some work done to it, the IOF .22 is not bad at all.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8

However, if you spend some (a lot) more, you can buy a CZ or an Anschutz but with diminishing returns for the money.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 am

Skyman wrote:I wonder how this has to be endorsed on the license?
12 bore DBBL with spare .30-06 barrel set. Considered as one firearm.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:32 am

Vikram wrote:

Best-
Vikram
38/357 Revolver ----- + ----- 30-06 as Vikram described above
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:56 am

Hello Niv, i do have a 10/22 as well, 10/22 one of the best rifle in the market by Ruger, nothing wrong with this gun take this if you can, also i have CZ453 in 17HMR , they are also good rifle,from my point of view they are both good rifles.

Good Luck

Baljit

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:47 am

Vikram wrote:
Has someone done this before? Any precedents?
My concern is, since TR only allows one firearm, is there going to be a chance of the boys in khaki confiscating one barrel.

Not to mention the UK FAC loops for getting a 30-06, which are more stringent that those for a .22 and a 12bore.

Also, out of practicality, you need to consider what you are going to shoot the most when you return to India: a 12 bore, a .22 or a 30-06. I'm sure you are aware that hunting is banned.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:12 pm

I would suggest you get any one you prefer the most and which will be more practical for you in India... .12 bore, .30-06, .22lr. Get the finest gun you get afford to buy and remember you will around 101% customs... Well even i am in the same dilemma as to which handgun to get on TR... The main problem in India is ammo so get anything for which you dont get ammo unless you want a show piece...lol...hahaha...

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Vikram wrote:

Best-
Vikram
Vikram,

I had a conv with the delhi licensing department on this topic while I was there to get my rifle endorsed. According to the gentleman behind the desk at the time of issue of the license one needs to mention that s/he will get a spare barrel with the firearm. The conv was in regard to a renowned shot who was importing a big bore rifle with a spare barrel. The spare barrel will be mentioned in the remarks on the license, he enthusiastically also shared their systems on which the database is maintained do not have any provision for a spare barrel entry- so 'remarks' it is.

I would deduce from my conv that a spare barrel is considered as one firearm, however i am assuming they would NOT do it for combining 2 category of firearm- shotgun, npb rifle or handgun. Mixing the 2 might not be that simple. Needless to say, the arbitrariness with which licensing function, I wish I could say something with certainty.

Regards,
SS
Last edited by AgentDoubleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 pm

So in effect, one could get a platform with a few spare barrels and it would be one firearm? In the above, it's a 12 ga shotgun, then another barrel for 30.06.What would your ammo quota be? 50 rounds for 12 ga and 50 rounds for 30.06? Or only 12 ga/30.06?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Skyman, post corrected above. I am assuming they would NOT do it.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Er...so you can't get a shotgun/rifle NPB combo due to difficulties with ammo quota?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Not only because of ammo, but technically they could be classified as 2 separate firearms for 2 separate purposes,one smooth bore, one rifled and if I recall the arms act does classify them separately. I'll have to re-read the arms act to be doubly sure.

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:16 pm

SS wrote:Not only because of ammo, but technically they could be classified as 2 separate firearms for 2 separate purposes,one smooth bore, one rifled and if I recall the arms act does classify them separately. I'll have to re-read the arms act to be doubly sure.
Hi SS i have a doubt if i get a pistol in .357 sig and .22lr conversion slide for it... Can i get it endorsed... Thank you...

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Hello Nivdhillon,
You have been given some excellent advice, it would also be great if you could clearly write down points regarding specifically " How you want to use these weapons in India?"
No doubt you may have done so already in your mind, nevertheless write down the points. Now you have your choice clear, next narrow down the weapons to fit the law and availibility of CHEAP ammo. Having done that, DO NOT COMPROMISE ON QUALITY OR PRICE, BUY THE BEST!
Regards

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:32 am

hamiclar01 wrote:
Vikram wrote:
Has someone done this before? Any precedents?
My concern is, since TR only allows one firearm,
Niv

Hami is correct rule states clearly one gun for one TR per family. Confirm this rule because otherwise second gun will simply be taken by customs and sold at fraction of price to high and mighty. I agree with vikram in India 22 are available but o/u is a very rare and expensive gun. If you really like 22 then go for CZ 452 none of the semi autos will be allowed even on NPB getting lic renewed is a problem stay away from it and neither is Indian ammo very conducive for semi autos. 22 pistols and semi autos can be bit finicky for the ammo so bolt action will be best. I like vikrams suggestion if one gun is allowed go for shotty if you can get spare barrels for a rifle better or a CZ 452 in 22...

Baljit .17 hmr is a great cartridge but its availability in india will be a problem

Good luck

NivDhillon
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by NivDhillon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:19 am

Baljit wrote:Hello Niv, i do have a 10/22 as well, 10/22 one of the best rifle in the market by Ruger, nothing wrong with this gun take this if you can, also i have CZ453 in 17HMR , they are also good rifle,from my point of view they are both good rifles.

Good Luck

Baljit
HI Baljit,
I also have a Ruger 10/22 Target barrel which is very accurate and perfect for range shooting, however to carry it around and shoot in the fields or the jungle wouldnt be ideal due to the weight. Hence I was keen on taking the "Ruger take down" version to India, but people here have advised me that semi automatic gun will not be allowed. I also asked Ruger if they could do a bolt action in the take down version, but they said they dont do custom weapons so then I decided on a Anschutz, until Vikram suggested the combination gun. But some people are suggesting that I will have problems getting it endorsed on my gun license in India. So now I am even more confused than I was before asking this question. lol
I just wish someone can just tell me the procedure that will follow once I land in Delhi with the gun and which authority will check and pass the gun. That way I can talk directly to them and make things a lot easier.

Regards
Niv