What would be a fair price to offer for a Mannlicher?

Posts related to rifles.
mehulkamdar

What would be a fair price to offer for a Mannlicher?

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:07 am

Friends,

An old buddy in Tamilnadu has a Mannlicher rifle in 7x57 with a shot out barrel. It has been in his family for almost a century. He would like to virtually give it to me as he is not in a position to take it out of the country and get it rebarreled etc. I am looking at the process of doing just that and have sent feelers to some people to help with information on the formalities involved in India, but the pressing worry is how much should I pay him? The character is not naming any figure and I don't want to be unfair in what I give him...

This rifle will, most probably be bought in my wife's name and return with us to India after it receives a full makeover in either the US or the UK.

Thanks for advice and suggestions in advance,

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:31 pm

The only Mannlicher Schoenauer sale that I know of in recent times in Bangalore was for 2.5 lakhs. However, the rifle is in good nick and in the much coveted .30-06 calibre.

You can either give him 2.5 lakhs minus all the incurred expenses (postage, rebarreling, blueing, stock re-chequering and oiling, etc.) or give him Rs.25,000/-.

It must have cost his ancestor no more than a few hundred Rupees, if that.

Frankly, the first option is quite ridiculous given that you have easy access to rifles. How much would such a rifle, in good nick, cost in the U.S.? Once you have this figure, you could decide what you would like to pay for the one in Chennai. This seems to be a fairer way, to both parties, to go about it.

Mack The Knife

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:28 pm

I know of a 7x57 Mannlicher Schoenauer in very good condition which sold for 1.5L

sat

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:28 pm

Mack The Knife,

The point is simple - this gun is registered in India. It could be enhanced and brought back - that would not affect the three gun import limit. I can buy any number of guns over here, but the laws in India are not set to change anytime soon, certainly not with the present band of fascists who made the 1984 laws being in power as they are at the moment.

Cheers,

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 am

Sorry Mehul but I don't think I understand what you are getting at.

What would such a rifle, in better and useable condition, cost in the U.S.?

Once you know that, you can decide for yourself what this one is worth to you.
that would not affect the three gun import limit.
Is one allowed three firearms on TR?

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:53 am

Mack The Knife,

1. This rifle is in India, registered there. Bringing it to the USA, rebarreling and returning it to India would not constitute an import

2. The "three gun" is my mistake - it would not affect the import limit of two guns in total that my wife and I would bring back as this would be a gun from India that was enhanced with a new barrel here. Hence three guns coming back to India with us instead of two

3. I can buy any number of guns here but India's three gun limit and the restriction on how many guns I could bring back will not permit me to bring any good stuff with me

Best wishes,

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:28 pm

Thanks, it's clearer now.

I would have this rifle sent back via post or courier rather than bring it back with the Auto5 (don't see you leaving that behind) and whatever happens to be the second firearm. It's going to be difficult enough clearing the two without the added hassles and dare I say, confusion caused by a third.

Have you retained your Indian arms licence and does it have a slot for a rifle and shotgun on it.

Can you apply for an Indian arms licence at the Indian embassy in D.C.? I assume Preethi will need one.

Coming back to the original question, what do you think of my suggestion - What would such a rifle, in better and useable condition, cost in the U.S.? Once you know that, you can decide for yourself what this one is worth, taking into account all expenses and any hassles. ?

Mack The Knife

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:03 pm

Are you moving to India, Mehul?

Or can you bring guns to India even for short trips?

-N

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:08 pm

Mehul and Mack The Knife,

I regularly see M-S rifles on auction that cost between
450-7000 GBP depending on the seller's greed. I see a nice M72 .270 made in 1975 for 495GBP.It's scoped and the wood looks good.

Mehul, looking at the present conditions, a better route would be to find a nice rifle and buy it in India than go through all the rigmaroles of the bureaucratic procedures. From the feedback on AR, it looks like the restoration project may run into a lot of expenditure.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:11 pm

Mack The Knife,

This would be in my wife's name. She will be visiting India shortly and I shall be talking to the officer concerned at EGmore.

Vikram,

Many of the AR members are a helpful lot but not many of them are familiar with Mannlichers. I talked to Grumpy when he was here for two days and Johan has also given me some very useful advice. I hope to buy the rifle and get the paperwork worked out sometime early in 2007 for starting the process. Suffice it to say that my friend is virtually giving it away - my initial question on how much to offer him has worked out pointless and I am looking forward to inviting him and his family here to reciprocate.

Mehul

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Fantastic. All the best,Mehul and do take pictures before and after rebuilding and don't forget to treat us to them. :D

Best-
Vikram

PS: How is Grumpy doing? Hope his leg is not giving him problems.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:45 am

I am looking forward to inviting him and his family here to reciprocate.

Tickets included I suppose :lol:

Take care,
penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:14 am

penpusher,

He has a beautiful Hupmobile car which he runs once a year. If he sells it to me, I'll not only buy his family the tickets but also take them on a trip to Canada with hunting/fishing included. :D

Cheers,

Mehul

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: What would be a fair price to offer for a Mannlicher?

Post by Sakobav » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:27 pm

My cousin last week bought a 30-06 Winchester model 70?? likely for Rs 2.15 Lakhs :shock: . he traded his SW Pump Action and bought the rifle.

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: What would be a fair price to offer for a Mannlicher?

Post by monty3006 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:18 am

Mehul,
Spoke 2 a few customs officers in mumbai, here's the gist.

As of today only 1 weapon is allowed per family unit in TR rules. The weapon cannot be sold, gifted, lent or transfered. Permission to sell will be granted only on death of the licensee. If license is cancelled due to several factor not including death of licensee, then the said weapon has to be deposited in the customs armoury at the port of arrival with prior permission of the asst or deputy commissioner of customs at the point of entry.
Duty on TR import of weapon is 25%. not 150% as some have said.
Original sales receipt of the weapon proving use for more than a year is useful. A suggestion of the officer was to get it stamped at the local indian embassy for date verification purpose.

will keep u posted on more info as it comes my way.

and ya getting Mannlicher 7mm exported and back is a bad idea.
rather get a better 3006 or 308 or 7mm from abroad.

Monish